Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just got a new roller, what should I do with it?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TonyAKAVW
So yesterday I picked up a roller, its a 76 missing the engine and the transmission and carpet and thats about it. It was this guy's project car and he was going to turn it into a -6 conversion. Its spent 15 years inside a garage, covered. I picked it up because I want the 5 lug setup, and the 911 front suspension that it has, along with the cookie cutter wheels.

Before I saw it I had thought about cutting off a couple fenders that I need for my '74 roller project car. However now that I've seen its condition I feel really bad about cutting it up. The paint is good, the only exterior thing missing are the bumpers. So I figure it would be a great "rust free roller" for someone out of state who doesn't have to deal with the 76 smog crap.

On the other hand I'm not totally set against having a sawzall party and getting good body pieces to people who need them. I just can't do it at my apartment sad.gif

Maybe I should hav made this a poll.. "Keep it together and keep another nice 914 on the road"
or... "Part it out, its a 76"

Comments? Ideas?

-Tony

type47
restore to roadworthy driving.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (type47 @ Mar 2 2005, 12:24 PM)
restore to roadworthy driving.gif

totally! agree.gif
TonyAKAVW
I guess all I need to get it roadworthy is a 76 2.0 engine with all the smog stuff. I've got a transmission and probably most everything else that I was going to use with the 74 roller.

hmm.

Finding the right engine and smog stuff might be tricky...

-Tony
dinomium
What about trading it for an outta state roller? It looks ALOT better than my 74 in my garage!
bondo
Part it out! sawzall-smiley.gif

(dibs on the wiring harness, fresh air box, taillight lenses, taillight panel, rear trunk floor and trunk lids!) smile.gif
dinomium
maybe I should drive my Pick Up to the WCC and bring home a lil prezzy for the yard...
I call first outta state dibs!
balljoint
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Man, a car like that is parts in Cali but solid Gold in the North-East. If you cut it up, please don't post the pictures.

dinomium
Dave is right! Outside of AZ or Cali these "marginal" cars would be prizes! Sorry Craig, but I think the secret is out!
TonyAKAVW
The thing is, this car is far from marginal. Its probably one of the cleanest 914s I've seen aside from restored ones. The battery tray is totally intact, there is no hole in the hell hole area, can't even see rust there (yet). The floorpans are gorgeous, etc. Its pretty much the ideal rust-free roller, for someone out of state.

One side of me says "gosh that car has some nice parts" and the other part of me says "it would be tragic to ruin it."

Then there's the wife factor.. Its currentlytaking up her parking spot, so whatever I do I need to do it quickly.

-Tony
horizontally-opposed
Sure is easy to say when it's not mine, but:

Please do not cut that car up.

Trade it for a roller (with or without cash) or sell it so someone back east. Or trade it for the parts you want, or something. But, IMHO, that car needs to stay together!

pete
balljoint
Yes, please ship all 914s from California which fall under the smoggy age limit to me. I will take good care of them. You can come and drive them whenever you want.

::Jealous::

I am going back to stare at my iron-oxide-mobile now. Just ignore the sobbing in the background.

dinomium
and up here in the pac west, the poor lil cars have sat outside with failed trunk seals and window seals...
Even in the summer, I have opened the trunk of a nice lookin car and found 3 inches of water on the lowside of the car, and BIG holes on the high side.
ohmy.gif
Please don't cut it up! I live in smog test free Kitsap County... where you can run anything that starts!
jet1
SAVE IT! put it in the classifieds. there are too many people outside of california who would love to get their hands on it. If I had money I would make an offer right now.
Aaron Cox
shoot...ill buy it and change out the VIN tags rolleyes.gif

MR POLICEMAN: THAT WAS A JOKE> PLEASE DONT COME KNOCK ON MY DOOR finger.gif laugh.gif
mack914
It's a beaut--Clark!! wub.gif wub.gif
Mike D.
Make it into a DUNEBUGGY laugh.gif
rick 918-S
What's the paint code?! Is that the original color? Fusha?
rhodyguy
with the camera flash it looks like malaga red. would it have to be smogged in oregon? correct bumpers go cheap. REAL CHEAP, call craig. sounds like it's in better shape than your car. put your running gear in it and go.

k

TonyAKAVW
Well, I went home for lunch and took some more pictures. I tried to open the doors, but for some reason I can't get get them open! So I am going to have to break in somehow. I guess I shouldn't have rolled up the window last night.

I think this car really needs to stay together.

Yes it appears to be original Malaga red. Not sure if its the original paint, but it looks as though it could be.

-Tony
TonyAKAVW
hjlkj
TonyAKAVW
ijopji
balljoint
:sob:
rhodyguy
no jack!!! ohmy.gif it's a parts car. pop those 3 little rubber plugs out of the front trunk floor for me please.

k
bondo
It's your duty to cut this car up.. if you save it, you only put 1 914 on the road, and then it's a 76. If you cut it up, you'll help put many 914s back on the road. smile.gif I gave you a 2.0, that should at least be worth a set of euro taillights smile.gif
Howard
hmmmm.

I've got a 2.7s engine with cis, a 901 and a few other parts. What will we do?????
dinomium
That is just NOT RIGHT! It makes the ugmo and the red car look like they should be off to the crusher!!
Everybody is thinking this SO I WILL ASK IT! How much did that cost you? Can you find me one?
I have the chrome bumpers and round lights to back date it....
rhodyguy
RAFFLE PRIZE w00t.gif jk.

k
TonyAKAVW
I'm going to get killed for this, but this car cost me $20. I saw an ad in Craigslist last week of a guy who needed to get rid of a roller.

"Been lugging around 1976 Porsche 914 chassis from place to place for 15 years with delusions of grandeur. Time to clean house and get rid of it. No engine or trans or bumpers. Aways been garaged."

He was asking $500 for it so I sent him an email asking for pics. Yesterday I got an email back saying "the car needs to leave TODAY so you can just have it. Otherwise it goes to the dump."

So I drove over there and called our favorite roadside assistance company and paid the driver $20 to keep him happy. It was leaking 15 year old gas on the bed of his truck, so I figure $20 wasn't bad.

This is the second great deal on a 914 I've found on Craigslist within the last year. My yellow daily driver I bought for $1000 off the 'list. So keep an eye on Craigslist daily. These things come up once in a while.

-Tony
rhodyguy
hard to let go of great buys. you did'nt say, smog is required?

k
balljoint
$20.00

WWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Did you hear my head hit my desk?
SLITS
QUOTE (Howard @ Mar 2 2005, 02:43 PM)
hmmmm.

I've got a 2.7s engine with cis, a 901 and a few other parts.  What will we do?????

I've been waiting and watching for that post.

You gonna have it ready for the WCC laugh.gif

I still gotcha beat.....$5.00 for a '70 roller at an auction.....and no Howard, I won't sell it. It's gonna get a 2.4 with a REAL 914/6 tranny & rear valence. finger.gif
aircooledboy
idea.gif I realize I am way far away from you Tony, but I have a complete running stock injected smogged 76 drive train in a parts car that folded under the weight of its own oxidation. idea.gif

PLEASE don't hurt that car. sad.gif
i love porsche
dont cut that up! its way to precious and clean for parts, people on the east would kill for a roller like that!
rhodyguy
there you go. lot's of wiggle room with only $20 into it so far.

k
Eric Taylor
Please don't cut it!!!!!! I would love that car, man back date the bumpers and put in a 4 and you've got a hell of a car ! I've even got the 4 suspension to put onto it, argh! Please don't cut it, it's way to nice, you should see my car, it looks like a brused arm, 3 different colors!
Eric
TonyAKAVW
Okay, so I figured out what I'm going to do. I'm going to take off the parts I need for my projects and then I'll put up an ad in the classified section probably Friday or so. I'm going to leave the body intact, but it may end up with yellow hoods, and missing some other parts. The body will not get cut or touched. I'd much rather see this car get some good use than become an organ donor. Its in such good shape it deserves to be driven once again!

So look for an ad later this week in the classifieds on this site.

-Tony
aircooledboy
Good man!!!! beerchug.gif

I'll be watching. boldblue.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ Mar 2 2005, 01:54 PM)
I'm going to get killed for this, but this car cost me $20.

I'm going to be sick now...... dry.gif

I only feel better cause your not cutting it up...
Jenny
Tony, why don't you list what you need off the car? If someone can supply you with the parts you need (in same or better shape than the red car) in exchange for the roller, then you both win. Your car's not red anyway, right? This way, whoever ends up with the $20 roller won't have a mismatched car. I know it's not everyone's main concern, but it would make life easier if they only had to replace non-color coordinated parts.

YMMV. I just know that if I got a decent roller with very good paint, and it had different color doors or decklids, I'd want to repaint to match. But repainting when the orig. paint is decent is such a waste...

Jen

BTW, I also know that if I got a good roller for cheap, I would have no room for complaining about mismatched body panels. But in a perfect world... rolleyes.gif
TonyAKAVW
Jenny: Thats a really good point. When I put up the ad I'll list the 'will trade for' items.

-Tony
TonyAKAVW
So I just found out that yes, this car will need to be smogged. But Glen (the guy at the bureau of consumer affaris) says that doing an engine conversion is not difficult. There are just two rules to follow to do a smog legal conversion.

1. No older motors
2. Engine must be originally a California engine and have the emission controls it originally came with.

So here's my dilemma.

I have a silver 74 roller which needs some body work like one or maybe two new fenders. It needs some other minor body work but is totally rust free. This was originally going to be my project car and become a conversion of some sort.

Now I have this red 76 roller which is pristene and needs almost nothing but a motor and transmission. I can do a smog legal conversion on it and proably be happy. But will it be a total pain in the ass or is this something I ought to consider? Either way, one of the rollers has to go, and soon. If I decide to keep the 76 I need to reigster it soon, before April 1.

-Tony
aircooledboy
were there california specific smog set ups?
TonyAKAVW
were there california specific smog set ups?

I'm not sure actually. I haven't looked into the smog setup for the 76 2.0

Anyone else know?

-Tony
balljoint
California is always the first place in North America to require newer smog equipment etc. when no other State (or Country) does. IIRC, in the books that I have read it always lists Cali-smog equipment separately from other models in the same year. Do you know where the car was purchased new?
mightyohm
Has anyone ever done a SMOG LEGAL conversion on a 914? V8 or otherwise?

Do the vanagon guys who convert to subaru engines need to pass smog?

How do the monster miata guys do it?

I think you should take that car and choplift it to Walnut Creek where a certain lawmaker lives. Then drop it in her pool.
jones
Great avatar! I love that movie.
Joe Bob
in 76 there were CA cars and "49 State" cars.....you may have to ask Captain Krusty....but...a 49 state car may not have to have an air pump or cat or both....I've never owned a 75-76 more than a couple of days, sold them outta state and only had to smog one of them that stayed here in CA....so...you may have to do a VIN search or check it's door stickers if there are any left.

BTW to the list monitors...I was a licensed and bonded dealer at the time.... cool_shades.gif

WE KNOW YOU ARE OUT THERE....
TonyAKAVW
Okay I think I'm fairly well decided that I'm going to sell the red roller. Bondo brougt up a good point that since the engine will have to be exactly as stock, moving the air filter won't be allowed, meaning that I have to cut up the trunk in all likelyhood. I just get the feeling that making an engine fit will be tricky. So unless I hear some good arguments against doing it, I think thats what I'll do.

Damn indecision. pisses me off. ar15.gif

-Tony

Or as the guy in my avatar would say "GOSH those guys up in Sacramento are FRICKING IDIOTS."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.