Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cayman S vs. 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GTPatrick
piratenanner.gif

Folks , . . I haven't been on the site for months due to knee surgery and recovery and a Cardiac incident . At least I'm still breathing .

A question for y'all . Which one , a Cayman S 2006 vs 914-6 . the Cayman has 70K miles but is having a rebuildt 3.4L engine with some massaging being put into it by a local Porsche race/service shop here in Memphis . So the engine won't be stock . Basically a 0 times engine . Haven't bought it yet will cost say $28k to around $34K .

But that means , will you guys forgive me for not buying a Teener ? Also getting a shop manual CD is next to impossible for doing my own lite to medium work . Have already started checking out the internet for maintenance articles . OBTW , I'm retiring later this year after 30+ years of service as an FAA AMT .

Thanks for any positive feedback . beerchug.gif

GTPatrick beer.gif
ConeDodger
I probably won't sell the 914-6 but I plan on a Cayman S soon. Love them! biggrin.gif
mgp4591
I don't think anyone here would look sideways if you bought the Cayman- they're great cars and you've taken care of the IMS problem so you'll be good for a long while. A 914 has been proven to be a DD if that's what you want but the Cayman is a more genteel teener if you want to look at it that way. Lots more comfortable right out of the box with great performance all around... so buy another 914 later and tinker with it if your itch doesn't go away and you'll have the best of both worlds! driving.gif
GeorgeRud
If you can swing it, get both. Though I keep thinking I should shrink my collection, every time I drive one of mine, I fall in love with once again with the cars.

The Cayman is probably the best all around car once the IMS bearing issue has been addressed.
rick 918-S
JP (Vegasracer) has both beerchug.gif The Cayman is an awesome car. If I were closer to retirement I would like to get one myself.
EdwardBlume
The 2013-on Cayman S is intriguing, only topped by the Cayman GTS.

Take good care of yourself!

iwanta914-6
If comparing to a real -6, then the answer is always the -6.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(RobW @ Aug 24 2015, 08:21 AM) *

The 2013-on Cayman S is intriguing, only topped by the Cayman GTS.

Take good care of yourself!

Only to be topped by the Cayman GT4
Kansas 914
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Aug 24 2015, 07:23 AM) *

Only to be topped by the Cayman GT4

agree.gif
Elliot Cannon
If I had a choice I'd go for the Cayman. Of course I'm an old retired bastid. av-943.gif What's not to like? Excellent handling, relatively luxurious interior, air conditioned comfort (if you're into that sort of thing) and did I mention excellent handling fun car to drive?
PanelBilly
Just by a late model SL and enjoy the ride.
jkb944t
I have a 2006 Cayman S and absolutely love it! I am also building a 914-6 GT style car just for the raw fun of driving it.

The Cayman S is so much fun to drive on a daily basis and as others have already mentioned a very civilized car.

Get the Cayman first and then find a 914-6 later to tinker with.

Jeff B
ripper911
Buy both, switch engines, have the best of both worlds. driving.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE(GTPatrick @ Aug 23 2015, 10:37 PM) *

will you guys forgive me for not buying a Teener ?

If you were considering anything other than a Cayman we would not forgive you.

P.S. - Congratulations. You will love it. biggrin.gif What options does it have?
jim_hoyland
Little OT: the recent issue of Top Gear Singapore has an excellent article comparing a 914-6 against 4 variations of Porsche's mid-engined rear drive cars. No caymans, but the article is worth reading

And, the 914 in the article belongs to a 914World member.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 24 2015, 09:35 AM) *

If I had a choice I'd go for the Cayman. Of course I'm an old retired bastid. av-943.gif What's not to like? Excellent handling, relatively luxurious interior, air conditioned comfort (if you're into that sort of thing) and did I mention excellent handling fun car to drive?

Incontinence can be messy though, the extra power can do that... driving.gif
iankarr
I have both. They're like half-sisters...different but definitely related. If I had to choose one for a DD, it would be the younger sister. Safer. Watertight. Air Conditioning. Do like I do and drive the cayman during the week and the teener on w/e's!

campbellcj
I certainly would not fault you for going with the Cayman. They are very impressive cars and in fact on the track, a well-driven stock S or R is quite evenly matched against my heavily race modded 914-6. A GTS or GT4 would probably blow me away.

It may be blasphemy but if Porsche would make a GT4 PDK and the dollars worked out, that would be one of very few cars that might get me to sell 914R.
euro911
Something else to consider - a real 914 '6' will probably increase in value, whereas Caymans will probably decrease in value.

However, I do think a Cayman would be better for a DD, as the maintenance intervals would probably less frequent? confused24.gif ... (supposition on my part - I don't own one)
OllieG
I'd buy a real 6 over a Cayman S seeing how they're going up in value so much recently..regretted selling mine 5 or so years ago ever since.

But the Cayman is a great shout..it's on the top of my shopping list but I want to get the R...
Kansas 914
This video on the GT4 is amazing. Some of the reasons this car will not get PDK are the same reasons that killed the 916 - faster than a 911...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BFKU1Fj0j4
BillC
Just get both! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Yeah, I know the yellow one isn't a -6, but if I'd gotten a -6, I wouldn't have been able to get the blue one. And the blue one is waaaaaay faster than a -6! w00t.gif
euro911
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Aug 26 2015, 08:52 AM) *
This video on the GT4 is amazing. Some of the reasons this car will not get PDK are the same reasons that killed the 916 - faster than a 911...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BFKU1Fj0j4

... drooley.gif WOW aktion035.gif
SKL1
My older son has a '06 Cayman S which was his first Porsche (both my boys inherited the car gene) and loves it. Has done many tasteful mods over the years. Guess he wanted a mid-engine car like his old man. He'll get to drive a 914 whenever he wants to as well. Says he's keeping the Cayman as long as I've kept the '71 914.

Plus, someday he'll get the silver one, and my younger son the red one when I have to hang up the helmet...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.