Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Guage in a Six
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kupcar
Hi Guys, Who does the six tri-guage modification to put the fuel guage in the oil temp/pressure guage on a six conversion? Cost?
gereed75
QUOTE(kupcar @ Aug 24 2015, 02:59 PM) *

Hi Guys, Who does the six tri-guage modification to put the fuel guage in the oil temp/pressure guage on a six conversion? Cost?

search "combo gauge" . I suspect Hollywood speedo does it and there are some alternatives, including DIY.
Search is your friend
Steve
Check the member vendor forum on this site. John did mine a while back. Awesome job, but I don't know if he is still doing them. A lot of these vendors do this part time, so you can't be in a hurry. If your in a hurry pay more and go to Hollywood speedometer
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=58970&st=0
GeorgeRud
Or you can install a fuel gauge and another gauge up in the ashtray area as an alternative using a VDO rubber bracket.Click to view attachment
914forme
Some GTs had them mounted in the factory radio blank spot. Easy enogh to fab, VDO makes a nice round one that fits perfectly and works. poke.gif

This is coming from the guy that made the first run of 904 gauges.

BTW, it is fun, you can make them yourself, some where in here, I have a entire build thread on how to do it. But then John does a great job, much better than my originals. And his price is a bargain. thumb3d.gif
Cairo94507
Palo Alto Speedometer, (Palo Alto, CA) is doing my gauges. Here is the rendering. My gauges should be done pretty soon. I have no idea what the bill will be.....pretty crazy, huh?

Click to view attachment
BobMC914
Not to hijack, but does anyone know if there is a small VDO fuel gauge that works with the stock sender?
I'd like to mount a small fuel gauge in the console on my car in place of the clock. That way I can avoid having to do the triple gauge, at least for a while. If I have to replace the sender it doesn't really save me anything but a little time over the triple gauge.
earossi
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 24 2015, 08:34 PM) *

Palo Alto Speedometer, (Palo Alto, CA) is doing my gauges. Here is the rendering. My gauges should be done pretty soon. I have no idea what the bill will be.....pretty crazy, huh?

Click to view attachment

I recently had a gauge package done for my /6 conversion. I had the fuel level/oil temp gauge converted to oil pressure and oil temperature. I supplied a 911 turbo tach which has a central located boost gauge on the guage. I had the boost gauge modified to be fuel level. I also supplied a 914 speedometer. All the the gauges were restored and had new faces installed. I got pricing from both Hollywood and Palo Alto, and they were very close. All said and done, the work ended up costing right at a little over $1000, so they are not cheap. That should give you an idea of the approximate cost to refurbish a set of 914 gauges for a /6 conversion. Obviously, if you are only looking for a triple gauge, the cost will be less than what I paid.
kupcar
I'm new to this car, so I'm trying to work out all the kinks that the previous owner failed correct. Operating without a fuel guage is silly. I love the combo guage, just not sure I'm ready to pony up the $1k to do it now. I'm also trying to figure out why my speedo is registering slow. Haven't investigated if it's a problem with the speedo or cable mechanism coming off the 901 gearbox. I don't have a center console, so my other options are the ashtray or radio faceplate location. Am I correct by thinking that the original sender should work with a 12v vdo guage made for a Volkswagen application?
Such a fun car yo work on! Thanks again to everyone for all the ideas and help.
Cairo94507
Here are the companion gauges for my car. Ignore the tachometer pictured with the speedo, that was a work in progress. The correct tachometer is the one on top.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(BobMC914 @ Aug 24 2015, 10:58 PM) *

Not to hijack, but does anyone know if there is a small VDO fuel gauge that works with the stock sender?
I'd like to mount a small fuel gauge in the console on my car in place of the clock. That way I can avoid having to do the triple gauge, at least for a while. If I have to replace the sender it doesn't really save me anything but a little time over the triple gauge.

Yes, it's what I did. I've got a 911 oil temp/pres gauge in the dash & a small VDO tank gauge in my center console.
914forme
It is the center gauge in the console above, as you can see it is a 1/4 sweep then a large reserve area.

See if John is still doing the 904 gauges, he is more reasonable than Palo Alto. Or you can build one yourself it you so desire. This will let you know what your in for.

I stumbled across all the design and paper work I have for the kits I did. It is public domain information, so you can use it to your hearts content. I can post the design pieces if you want.

Another option is to use a 930 Tach, and put the fuel gauge in there instead of the oil pressure, and keep all the oil gauges in one window.

BTW, you can also do a quad gauge using a 924 gauge, and then a custom back plate. Please get rid of the Madonna cone bras if you do them.

You can also change them all out and use Speedhut for them. Modren instruments, shallow mounting and fully customizable for a 5-6 uncle ben's.

Go full 911, and install a Getty Dash.

So many options just depends on what you want to do.
Jeffs9146
Here is where I mounted mine.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Aug 25 2015, 05:10 AM) *

QUOTE(BobMC914 @ Aug 24 2015, 10:58 PM) *

Yes, it's what I did. I've got a 911 oil temp/pres gauge in the dash & a small VDO tank gauge in my center console.

Nice, I was thinking of something similar but with a triple in the dash. Nice to see a real picture of gauges at the top of a deposit box.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Aug 25 2015, 02:19 PM) *

Nice, I was thinking of something similar but with a triple in the dash. Nice to see a real picture of gauges at the top of a deposit box.

(sorry for the hijack)
Thanks. It's the stock deposit box that came w/ my six. I cut a piece of steel, bent it & cut 3 gauge holes in it for the clock, voltmeter & gas gauge. Then I covered it w/ dash material & bolted it to the top of the box. Since my other teener came w/ the center gauge console there, it seemed logical to do the same to the six.
kupcar
No apologies necessary for the hijack. All this information is good! The more ideas the better.
Cairo94507
I like the gauges in the deposit box - I almost went that way, it was a close call.
patssle
nhspeedometer.com has the VDO gauge you need to work with the stock sender. 2 1/16" version - VDO 0-70 ohm (70 being empty) version. It was $45 when I bought it.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.