Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whats the Best way to upgrade a stk 2.0 ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
flmont
Iam trying to upgrade my 2.0 type 4 and the machine shop is a little leary,..of going with bigger valve's for fear of the seats falling out,..so If I keep stk heads,..what are my choices for going for more PWR,..I know larger PC's are planned,.. 96MM,..with larger cam,..using weber carbs,..( ICT 34's is what came off the engine,.) I don't need to use those carbs, if there are better options ,..like 40 or 44's,..can I keep original crank and rods,. I would like to if there still good,..just trying to punch it up as much as I can using close to stk or stk parts,..??? they talked about higher compression ratio's,..??? Thanks Frank
koozy
QUOTE(flmont @ Aug 24 2015, 03:51 PM) *

Iam trying to upgrade my 2.0 type 4 and the machine shop is a little leary,..of going with bigger valve's for fear of the seats falling out,..so If I keep stk heads,..what are my choices for going for more PWR,..I know larger PC's are planned,.. 96MM,..with larger cam,..using weber carbs,..( ICT 34's is what came off the engine,.) I don't need to use those carbs, if there are better options ,..like 40 or 44's,..can I keep original crank and rods,. I would like to if there still good,..just trying to punch it up as much as I can using close to stk or stk parts,..??? they talked about higher compression ratio's,..??? Thanks Frank

If they are already discouraging head work because they think it is going to fall apart go to a different shop. This is not uncommon work and you need to find someone with experience with these parts before proceeding. You can increase the bore and stay with the same crank and rods. The size of your carbs will be determined by a number of factors. Get to a shop that knows this stuff before doing anything.
flmont
Well,..They were just telling me that it is possible that they could come loose,..Which I know could happen,..Iam not even sure whats the best sizes of valves to run,.I would like larger than stk,..but I don't know enough about valve size, crank size,..cam sizes to make it all work,..the engine kits are too much money for me right now,..so I wanted to rebuild stk and upgrade where I can ,..cam and compression rates I guess,.??
koozy
Find a place that knows what they are talking about and has experience with this stuff. To say it is possible for them to come loose and that being a reason to not do it is akin to staying in the house because aliens might come take you away. Valve work is common stuff that is done with such frequency it is considered basic. Get that "come loose" thought out of your head because it is nonsense. You came here asking for advice from folks that you suspect know the answer to your questions. Now you are getting the answer and seem to not like it. But, you have the most important part, which is the desire to learn and not being afraid to ask questions. I admire that and have taken the time to tell you your thinking is not quite accurate. I assure you, find a shop that doesn't tell you the valve seats might fall out because that answer is complete hogwash. That said, you can replace the P&C set and have the heads done to find a substantial increase in power. The case will need to have some machine work for larger pistons and cylinders. If you find a shop that knows this stuff they can walk you through it. A few trips to this shop and it won't be scary or a mystery at all any more. Best of luck in your quest.
Mblizzard
I would look into getting a matched kit from someone like the Type 4 Store. They have done all of the homework and can get you a solid kit together that uses most of your stock parts.

That way you get something that is proven to work. I don't think case work is required unless you go bigger than 96 mm on the P/C.
flmont
Oh,..Iam with ya Koozy,..not many shops in Tucson,az that build type 4's,..and I want to assemble my self,..maybe I should send them out to get built,..???any suggestions,.I know I will have to send case out aswell,...Thanks

and Mblizzard,..Yes I will go with 96's,.they say that's the max to be safe,...Thanks,...
koozy
Go to the garage section of this website and ask around for a reputable machine/engine building shop in your area. Start there. You can be plenty safe with more than 96s. If you are spending money already than go as big as your budget allows. Doing it twice because you are disappointed that you can't feel the 8 horsepower you get from a small bump in CCs is probably going to REALLY frustrate you. Especially if you are already finding yourself on a limited budget. Ask me how I know.
flmont
I have been told from here,..that any larger than 96 MM takes to much meat from the case,.to equal longevity,..I wouldn't mind 101's I guess,.what would your build spec's be for a street engine,.and to pass emmissions at least once,...??? Thanks Frank
Mblizzard
QUOTE(flmont @ Aug 24 2015, 07:05 PM) *

I have been told from here,..that any larger than 96 MM takes to much meat from the case,.to equal longevity,..I wouldn't mind 101's I guess,.what would your build spec's be for a street engine,.and to pass emmissions at least once,...??? Thanks Frank

Others may have better info but I always thought sticking with 96s and going to a longer stroke on the crank was a better option than something like 103s.
koozy
Pass emissions? If you need to pass emissions you can't make any changes at all from stock, here in CA. No clue in your neck of the woods.
flmont
were Tucson, but I could register in a non emission required town near by
koozy
71 x 101 which will give you a 2.3 liter. 44mm carbs and you will be a very happy camper. Don't bump the compression too much. That decreases longevity.
flmont
Thanks Koozy,...what type of cam should be used,..and ,do I run stk heads,.???
flmont
Any suggestions on cam and can u keep stk heads...???
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(flmont @ Aug 28 2015, 12:01 PM) *

Any suggestions on cam and can u keep stk heads...???

It would not be prudent to leave the heads stock with just about any engine larger than 2056.
flmont
Ok Thanks..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.