Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: $@!& 10 more feet.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cuda911
Took the '74 to the Spanish Landing concours on Saturday. Car ran flawlessly. Drove up the coast later that day, car ran flawlessly. Stopped for pizza and drove some more, car ran flawlessly.

Parked in my driveway to unload stuff. Got my stuff out and went to pull it 10 feet forward to park.

#@%&! Car won't start!
theleschyouknow
I get to be first
has your fuel pump been relocated? vapor lock? I know the weather is awesome out there but that sounds like quite a bit of driving
good luck
cjl
6freak
its 1 of 3 things,,,check them all and youll find your problem
good luck
MikeC
Eric_Shea
That's a good car. My TOB arm gave out a couple blocks away from home while coming back from Monterey. Stuck in second, I kinda, sorta rolled through a 4-way and pulled into my driveway.
bigkensteele
It's a 1.8, correct? I will bet on the fuel pump relay on the battery tray. I had the same problem with mine for years, and the damn thing would always start right up after it rolled off the tow truck. I finally replaced the relay just to rule it out, and I have been good ever since.
KELTY360
$@!& 10 more feet.

That's what she said. shades.gif
JawjaPorsche
Broke down in your driveway? That is not fair!

bigkensteele
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Aug 25 2015, 08:34 AM) *

Trust me, it is better than breaking down 25 miles from home.
stugray
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Aug 25 2015, 10:34 AM) *

Beats getting a DUI in your driveway (in L.A., ~25 years ago....)
euro911
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Aug 25 2015, 10:49 AM) *
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Aug 25 2015, 08:34 AM) *
Trust me, it is better than breaking down 25 miles from home.
... or 92 miles dry.gif

Click to view attachment
Cuda911
Haven't had a chance to take a look yet to see what's up. Seems like the battery is dead.

But it's a new battery and alternator (installed last year).

Yeah, I agree, my driveway is the second best place it could have broken down.

EdwardBlume
Never leave home without AAA.
ripper911
Won't start?
Does it turn over?

confused24.gif

Either way, it'll probably start now.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Aug 25 2015, 09:03 PM) *

Haven't had a chance to take a look yet to see what's up. Seems like the battery is dead.

But it's a new battery and alternator (installed last year).

Yeah, I agree, my driveway is the second best place it could have broken down.

Mike -

If it's a dead battery, with a known good new alternator/rebuilt ... & not the fuel pump in the engine bay vapor lock & relay issues noted above ... then probably the voltage regulator.

AFAIK they're still available new from Bosch, since the same was used on 911/912/930 IIRC & they still support the tail draggers.

I went to SD & back for a long weekend in mine, then the clutch cable snapped when I got home. Back then my guy Hans Imports was 1/2 a block away, & he sent 2 guys & we pushed it over, up & into his shop!

Gotta Love 'em when they get you home! biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Cuda911
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Aug 26 2015, 05:15 AM) *

Won't start?
Does it turn over?

confused24.gif

Either way, it'll probably start now.

Nope, didn't even turn over. Lights wouldn't even come up. Radio worked and dash lights would come on, that's it.

But, you were right. Started right up today on the first turn of the key.
Tom
You need to start looking at what the conditions where when it would not start, or even give you an indication of electrical power on the day it would not start etc. and the conditions where it would.
1- heat soak - heat build up can cause electrical connections to no longer carry power. Check the connections around the battery especially close. As they cool, they tighten up ever so slightly.

Maybe others can add other things.
Tom
ripper911
agree.gif It got hot.

My car does it a lot. unsure.gif
bigkensteele
I still say fuel pump relay. BTDT.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.