Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 100-Point Concours /6.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Series9
I would love to see a bunch of pictures of a car that you guys consider to be the best concours /6.

beerchug.gif
gms
QUOTE(Series9 @ Aug 25 2015, 10:56 AM) *

I would love to see a bunch of pictures of a car that you guys consider to be the best concours /6.

beerchug.gif

Honestly AA has the nicest original 914/6 I have seen
it is a 1971 Willow green car that has less than 10K miles, it was shown in the UK by its former owner
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Look at SoCalAndy's yellow M471 clone & Dave/toolguy's silver narrow body - both 70 -6's - at any of the SoCal/Zone 8 Concours topics for what I feel are the top dawgs out here in SoCal. Both are full restos by members on here.

PS - Also the guy with the last or near last 72 -6 who won Parade a year or few ago who was posted on here is excellent.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Pat Garvey
"100-point Concours /6"
Doubtful that such a vehicle exists. Those cars are 43 years old min. Doubtful that even the Factory Museum has one.

You're asking for 100 point "concours". That means that there has never been any repaint of any exterior body, engine, suspension, interior components AND that everything is perfectly conditioned (not refurbished) as when delivered.
Yep, there are sixes out there that are gorgeous, delectable, and spotless. But all of these cars (correct me if you can produce a vehicle that is 100% original AND 100% concours) have had to have partial/full repaints, engine swaps, interior mods, panel replaced, etc. There goes the "originality". Clone - no originality. 3.6 motor - no originality. No Factory installed flares (steel or plastic) - no originality.

Lots of other gigs possible too. But, why the question about 100 point six? It's a Holy Grail that doesn't exist. Why not look into ANY six that can score a REAL 90 point or higher concours in originality. Let's see some of them, because I know they are out there.
P
carr914
smg's M-471 just because he's so anal about his cars. The problem is does not and will not ever have it's original engine. It does have a Correct year'd -6 engine to Concour quality. Add the Provinance

Click to view attachment
Series9
The basis of the question is simple.

I've been building 914s for a long time, but I have always done it my way and not worried about originality.

I have a /6 in the shop right now that has been entrusted to me for an original-ish restoration and I'm simply studying.

I openly admit that I'm not an expert in concours matters and I'm trying to do the best job I can.

Detailed pictures of cars that win would be very helpful. smile.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
These pics are pulled from various O&E threads. Excusing for the moment and incorrect radio (which can be easily back-dated) and the protective mats in some cars, these interior photos depict very OEM /6s
1970 Neun vierzehn
More photos from the O&E threads.....all /6s....
1970 Neun vierzehn
....and more......
gms
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 26 2015, 07:54 PM) *

Lots of other gigs possible too. But, why the question about 100 point six? It's a Holy Grail that doesn't exist. Why not look into ANY six that can score a REAL 90 point or higher concours in originality. Let's see some of them, because I know they are out there.
P

I am sticking by my answer, the willow green -6 from AA, very low mileage and immaculately maintained

Click to view attachment
gcrotvik
One major part of concourse restorations is making sure every parts is correct, as delivered from the factory. Every nut, bolt, screw should be new, or refurbed as new with the correct finish. When in question as to what is correct, consult this forum or experts in the field. Take your time to make sure every step (body/metal work, paint, etc) is correct. It's difficult to go back and correct something after you are onto another part of the restore. In the end, it's very satisfying IMHO.
Series9
Thanks for the replies. Those pictures will, most certainly help.

smile.gif
Scott S
Pat is 100% correct. I have 2 unrestored/totally original "100 point" cars (not p-cars), that even in their absolute prime, never received more than 98.5 points.

Nothing is perfect - even if it has never been altered from the day it was delivered.

and on a side note, they are awful to own. They cant be driven hardly at all. They just take up space until they move on to the next guy someday. They are just investments that take up a ton of room - no fun.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(gms @ Sep 3 2015, 09:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 26 2015, 07:54 PM) *

P

I am sticking by my answer, the willow green -6 from AA, very low mileage and immaculately maintained

Click to view attachment

Well, I guess I have to backtrack a little here. If the AA car is truly 100% original, then that should be considered a benchmark for other whackos. Looks to be one of the rarest,...BUT, is it 100% ORIGINAL. No chips or flaws? And just what is 100% original? I will accept that any panel respray or repair renders a car unoriginal (big departure for me), but what about chips or repaired dents? Technically, originality has been destroyed if they are repaired or left alone.
My point is this...unless the vehicle has been placed in a bubble from the factory, and never driven, it's impossible to call it "original". And what the hell does the term "restored to original" mean? To me it means "restored", and that is a good thing. Just don't refer to it as "original'
When my 914 comes up for sale, it will be noted that it has had 8 out of 9 panels resprayed (he 10th panel was left intact and used a basis for adding orange-peel.
But that makes it "UNORIGINAL". Nice, but unoriginal.
So that's me point. Stop laying on accolades about a car that cannot be "original", except in very few cases.
"Restored to correct configuration" would make me drool about a car. "Factory original" condition is not necessarily bad but I'd have to spend 3-4 hours on a car like that to approve it.
My nickel
sixnotfour
The AA 914 had the interior changed and changed back to brown..most old cars have a past not always told..

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?show...256734&st=0
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.