Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.2 Carerra Motor SMOKING
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CaltranCraig
I have a 3.2 1985 carerra motor in my 914...Great power, great fun... The problem. It smokes while idle...but mainly after it has warmed up. When under load, and when I lay into it, no smoking?
Could this be a vacume issue, oil distribution issue? easy fix you think? Or do I face facts.....need valve guides? valve seals? or engine overhaul sad.gif
Could anyone suggest?
Craig
Series9
Like this: smoke.gif ?

Just kidding. Welcome to the club!

I assume it's smoking out the exhaust, yes? It's really a very open question. Does your engine have carbs? How many miles? Upgrades/mods? How does it idle? Color of the smoke? etc., etc.....
JoeSharp
Welcome to the insanity Craig. Wish I had an answer for you as I'm sure that I will have to answer that question. I go to the Chicken Coop alot. biggrin.gif
Post some pictures of your car I don't think I know it. If you need to resize pics go to FAQ above and there is a thread with a link that works good with only like 3 clicks.
biggrin.gif Joe
P.S. there is a bunch of us around here that get toghther to do things like fun runs and just to talk 914's (drink beer).
rick 918-S
Welcome, I was going to post some incorrect info about you needing the pull the motor and discard it. Ofcourse I would be around to collect it from your trash pile, laugh.gif but I see your a new guy. So I won't pick on you yet.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Well, Maybe just a little... happy11.gif
TravisNeff
smoke on deceleration usually is with the valve guides. Seems odd that it only smokes at idle. Have someone follow you in your cloud of doom and have them tell you what they see. Could be that it is smoking most of the time, but you can't see it while driving.
MattR
I see you're in newport beach. Theres going to be a 914 club gathering in Costa Mesa in a few weeks. You should bring your car by and check it out!

link
Type 4
Did you change the oil then it started smoking?
Joe Bob
The common knock on 3.2s is valve guides....

Depending on your intake and how the oil tank is plumbed you maybe be sucking oil from the tank. Do you run it real full or about a quart low?
BigD9146gt
Whats up Craig! If I find a wreck some what soon, i'll trade motors and a little cash. That way i can rebuild yours with a twin plug & stand alone setup and spank both you and Dave!

For all of you who want pics...
user posted image

user posted image

scotty b
Hey thanks a lot BigD mad.gif now I've got to go change my pants and wash up. dry.gif

Me likey lots. aktion035.gif
jim_hoyland
Nice car Craig! Got to see it last Sunday in Huntinton. Good Luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.