Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aftermarket fuel pumps for 2.0's?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stephestrad
The fuel pump on my '74 2.0 is no longer holding pressure and I'm looking to replace it. I've seen NOS pumps pop up occasionally on this forum , and various rebuilt units from retailers (Auto Atlanta, Parts Heaven, etc.), but I haven't seen any aftermarket replacement versions. Do they exist?
914Sixer
No aftermarket 3 port pumps at this time. Post a want to buy in the classified and see what comes up. I have several but I need to test them. Option 2 convert to the 75-76 pump.
CodyBFR
It really seems that the best option these days is to convert to the later style pump. We just had another 3 port fail on a customer on the road today. We have bought a number of the AutoAtlanta rebuilt pumps, but an alarming number of them either leaked right out of the box or wouldn't build/hold pressure.
JawjaPorsche
I converted to a two prong pump from a three prong pump three years and I have never had a problem.

Plus you can get a new two prong but not a three one.

NAPA has them.

Bosch Fuel Pump

Part Number. BSH 69133

stephestrad
Interesting. Can you convert to the later, two pronged style without moving the pump up front? The threads I've read here all point to relocation.
Shadowfax
QUOTE(stephestrad @ Aug 25 2015, 05:36 PM) *

Interesting. Can you convert to the later, two pronged style without moving the pump up front? The threads I've read here all point to relocation.

Yes. I just did this a few weeks ago when my three-port pump took a dump and didn't relocate. If you reuse the bracket from the old pump, you'll find that it's too big. I was able to get mine to work by wrapping the pump with a piece of rubber. Also don't forget to get a new fuel filter (I think from a Super Beetle or Bus) and a new length of 12 mm fuel hose for the outlet from the fuel filter to the inlet of the new pump.
JawjaPorsche
You do not need to move to the front.
Dave_Darling
The fuel pump port that's missing from the 2-port ones is the return port. (It isn't really needed IMHO, anyway.) So you omit the line from the R port, and you omit the Y fitting that line goes to. So the return line goes straight from the fuel pressure regulator outlet to the return hard-line through the center tunnel.

For the inlet, you might have to do some "adaptor magic" to get the hose sizes to work correctly, but again that's not a huge deal.

--DD
stephestrad
Looks like the two pronged style is the way to go, and more straightforward than expected! Thank you all for your help and speedy words of wisdom!
914Sixer
Use the rubber mounting pad from a the rear blower, it makes a nice shim and keeps the vibration down.
EdwardBlume
I went from 3 port to 2 port, installed it on Dad's car (74) and never looked back. The 3 port is a dinosaur.
porschetub
QUOTE(JohnBFR @ Aug 26 2015, 09:36 AM) *

It really seems that the best option these days is to convert to the later style pump. We just had another 3 port fail on a customer on the road today. We have bought a number of the AutoAtlanta rebuilt pumps, but an alarming number of them either leaked right out of the box or wouldn't build/hold pressure.

True,what do they rebuild?,there is no parts for them ,the AA ones will be a new coat of paint and others well...never heard of great stories about rebuilt ones what ever Porsche it is.
No point in trusted a used original could be good for a week or six months.
Any low pressure efi replacement pump will do as long as the inlet outlets are the same size,Bosch are good.
euro911
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Aug 25 2015, 04:24 PM) *
... but it's a good idea to move it up front, especially if you're not too concerned about your car not being a concours specimen. It will help to eliminate the possibility of pump overheating and vapor lock idea.gif

BTW, are you running FI or carbs?
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 26 2015, 02:42 AM) *

... but it's a good idea to move it up front, especially if you're not too concerned about your car not being a concours specimen. It will help to eliminate the possibility of pump overheating and vapor lock idea.gif

Moving the fuel pump to the front has been debated on this forum many times. From a personal standpoint I don't think it is necessary. I too suffered from vapor lock. Twenty years ago, I just moved the pump to the firewall and I have never had a problem since and we get some hot weather here in the south.

As far as finding a bracket to fit the two prong pump, I used an coil bracket that came with a new Bosch coil.

Love my stainless fuel lines from Tangerine Racing. They even had new rubber grommets too. If you go this route, you will need a reducer line from Tangerine so it will fit the fuel filter. The two prong pump takes a different filter than the three.
EdwardBlume
The picture above is exactly what I did. What you don't see in the picture is the line wrapping over the assembly from the fuel filter.

I likewise moved the fuel pump to the front on a prior car, and had no need on Dad's car. The firewall install is fine. I used the stock fuel filter bracket and insulated the gap with neoprene.
EdwardBlume
Also use the better clamps than the ones pictured.
stephestrad
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 25 2015, 11:42 PM) *

I have the original FI.
stephestrad
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Aug 26 2015, 04:28 AM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 26 2015, 02:42 AM) *

Moving the fuel pump to the front has been debated on this forum many times. From a personal standpoint I don't think it is necessary. I too suffered from vapor lock. Twenty years ago, I just moved the pump to the firewall and I have never had a problem since and we get some hot weather here in the south.

As far as finding a bracket to fit the two prong pump, I used an coil bracket that came with a new Bosch coil.

Love my stainless fuel lines from Tangerine Racing. They even had new rubber grommets too. If you go this route, you will need a reducer line from Tangerine so it will fit the fuel filter. The two prong pump takes a different filter than the three.

Those are great ideas. I like both the firewall and coil bracket thoughts. Do stainless fuel lines have any cooling effect?
Shadowfax
QUOTE(stephestrad @ Aug 26 2015, 08:13 PM) *

Those are great ideas. I like both the firewall and coil bracket thoughts. Do stainless fuel lines have any cooling effect?

No cooling effect that I'm aware of but it is a good idea to replace the old plastic lines for peace of mind. I did mine as well as all the rubber fuel lines.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.