Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 10 years of Dave Darling
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
airsix
I just realized that it was 10 years ago (give or take a month or two) that I first found an online 914 community. It was actually the Porschephiles "all models" mailing list, but there was a strong 914 representation. 10 years ago, sitting in the late-night darkness of my dorm, starring at the green pixles of a vt100 terminal emulator connected to the university VAX at a blazing 1200kbaud I first read the name... Dave Darling. (nostalgia smiley)

So, who else was there, on Porschephiles in 1995, when NONE of your friends/family knew what you were talking about when you said the word 'Internet'? Lets have a Porschephiles class of '95 reunion in this thread.

-Ben M.
TravisNeff
I have 2 years to go 1997 or so..
Bleyseng
Yes, I was there posting under the name of Rielb.
Hi! Long time no see. Actually, we have never ever met so why don't you come over to the wild side! We do some cool events and I would like to see your turbo.

Geoff
michel richard
I don't think I was there in the Porschephile days, but certainly for Porschelist, in 1997 I think.
Nick
I was there ~1994 on Porschephiles. What ever happened to Stan Hanks?
lapuwali
Hm. I didn't buy a 914 until 1998, so I can't say 10 years on Porschephiles, and I think that list was dead by then. I did know of Dave and Mike Mueller around that time, though, on a (still free then) Rennlist mailing list. I believe I even saw some of the original Dirk Wright posts.

I have been part of various Internet car and bike groups since about 1989. Lots of us graybeards were using the Net long before 1995. Yahoo is celebrating 10 years today, and the media is playing it up like they were the pioneers. Hmph.

Series9
Didn't the internet begin in August of 2004?

<------(see my sign-up date)
TravisNeff
I think I saw an ad for some parts from Stan Hanks on pelican or this site, sig said he was in WA state.
Aaron Cox
speaking of long time 914 guys-

where is Brian Kumamoto?
and Tim of Tims 914 page??

mmm...who else?
bd1308
speaking of Tim, where the hell did he go? He actually had a list/forum too....btu it's real dead. circa 1996. I went on PP in 2003(when i got my 914), but I was on the BBS's for a long time. started AO(crap) in 1992
airsix
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Mar 2 2005, 01:12 PM)
Yes, I was there posting under the name of Rielb.
Hi! Long time no see. Actually, we have never ever met so why don't you come over to the wild side! We do some cool events and I would like to see your turbo.

Geoff

Geoff,
I think we have met. Weren't you at the get-together in Renton at Doc Nugent's place a few years ago? Jim Boemler was there with a red 300z, Phil Haun had his blue Buickv6 conversion, and quite a few others... I had the blue beater with phonedials and the original "JP flares" (JP being conspicuosly absent from that event).

-Ben M.
URY914
QUOTE (914RS @ Mar 2 2005, 01:31 PM)
Didn't the internet begin in August of 2004?

Ask Al Gore! laugh.gif
Toast
ohmy.gif OMG! You guys have been around...........nevermind.
I have nothing to say. wink.gif

type.gif (cira 1995)
TravisNeff
Correction, Stan posted on the PNW Yahoo group. As a matter of fact, todays digest just rolled in with a post from him...

Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 19:33:48 -0000
Subject: New Price: *FREE* El-cheapo 914 five-lug conversion

Yeah, that means it's not done right, but you knew that... comes with rear trailing arms, calipers, front and rear rotors, hubs, all that jazz...

One catch: you have to work on my schedule, which will likely mean either after 9:30PM on Thursday, early Friday AM or mid-day Saturday pickup

Stan
Gustl
believe it or not, but DD was my first contact concerning teeners
it was late 1995 or early 1996 when I was looking for some more infos on the 914 - at this time there were no german 914 pages online, so I found the Renegade 914 Club page
as I remember it was a black background with several links in two rows? From this page I learned lots of teener basics. All my detailed questions got answered by DD - you can't imagine how happy I was rolleyes.gif

within the next years more and more german pages got online, so I changed - it was much easier for me

but - every now and than I came in mail contact with him and it was always very interesting
can't believe that's almost 10 years ohmy.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (airsix @ Mar 2 2005, 04:01 PM)
...green pixles of a vt100 terminal emulator connected to the university VAX at a blazing 1200kbaud I first read the name... Dave Darling. (nostalgia smiley)

1200kBaud is *still* blazing, but somehow i think it must have been 1200 Baud :-)

i was a member of several online communities before there was "The InterNet."
specifically, i was a fairly active participant in CompuServe's AVSIG (since transmogrified as AVWEB) forum, several Microsoft product forums, and numerous loose affiliations of interconnected BBS's, some of which connected to USENET and ARPANet.

this was around 1982-1983.

i didn't find my way to "the Internet" (in the guise of the WWW) until 1995 or so, although i had set up several UUCP connections for email and newsgroups prior to that time. and it was probably 1997-98 when i started to see references to - and joined - RennList (as it was by that time.)

been a long time since i last connected to a newsgroup...
and i still read and post on the RennList 914, 911, and Racing lists, and the 356Registry's system which is much the same.
Type 4
I got my first Porsche a 61 365 Cab back in 1972( pre internet). Finally got a computer in 1999.
TravisNeff
Arpanet, members still using this belong to AARP? that goes back a loong way. I remember at my grandmothers house she had a modem where you hooked your phone receiver to. you had to make the beeping sounds when you did the rotary dialing..
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (Nick @ Mar 2 2005, 01:26 PM)
I was there ~1994 on Porschephiles. What ever happened to Stan Hanks?

Me too. I met Dave (pony tail and all) when he came to Chicagoland and a few of us met at Dave & Busters at... damn what is that name of the city....not to far from I355 & I53 Schaumburg-ish area. Glenn Stans (not sure of spelling) had is 914-6 there. Glenn also had / has a 914-6 website.

Those were the days of the old Twin Trunks newsletter. I have a few of them around here somewhere.
Joe Bob
I was a lurker for a long time...using a shared computer workstation at work....when I got my very own 286 I was able to post on Tim's site and the other ones...I missed posting on Porschephiles...I seem to remember something about contributions for something being solicited and then the service disappeared.... dry.gif

http://www.914fan.net/
Tim's site is still around but the forums appear to be inactive....then there was rennlist in various forms, Pelican Parts and here....
tommy914
I can remember posting to Porschephiles before Dave showed up and became the "know it all". wink.gif

When was that Dave?

MecGen
Hi People
I took a 10 year leave of absense...
I used to get the porsche letter 4 time a year, stayed with it till amost the end, found this site again (and caught another round of 914 fever) last year.
Glad this place is here, much easier than a news letter, that I read over and over again.
I wonder if the mods are old anough to have gotten that newsletter in the past, how cool is that to start a club and pass the nite licking envolopes, sending them to the 4 corners of the world, another technology/time, and shit I just turned 38 !
Great post
Great subject
Cheers
Joe

party.gif
ematulac
I didn't find a 914 online community until ca. 1997 or 1998 ... rennlist. Dave D. was there, Zois, Sammy, Steve Malmz, Chris Campbell, Jeff Shyu (sp), Mike Cooley, and a few others I can't think of right now ... I took a few years off and when I came back rennlist and the pp board were deserted. Then I found you guys! biggrin.gif

I was wondering about Jim Thorusen. Is he still around? He offered a lot of excellent technical advice.
Joe Bob
AFIK...Jim is still in Lancaster....I think we got a little too silly for him and few others. Him I miss...he had a wealth of knowledge.
TravisNeff
I thought Jim sold both his cars and washed his hands of us, Zois was probably to blame, hahahaha
jd74914
 speaking of long time 914 guys-

where is Brian Kumamoto?
and Tim of Tims 914 page??

mmm...who else?

Yeah, I've wondered this alot. I have a book (you guys probably do too) where it mentions Brian Kumamoto, who is he? I really want know.
Dave_Darling
Let's see... Stan Hanks is somewhere around Portland, and is (for the time being) out of 914s. He's got a number of other interesting cars, though. He had a nice Carrera 2 (fifties vintage; that's a 356 with a two-liter four-cam Carrera motor in it) as well as a few other nifty cars last I heard.

Tim Jones I last talked to probably five years ago. Maybe longer. He had gotten into another lightweight mid-engine'd open-top car with great handling... The MR-2 Spyder, which was new at the time.

Brian K. sold his car and dropped out of 914s. I think he said it was just time. I also think I remember him having a 911 that he kept, so he may still be showing up to PCA/POC/whatever events.

Dirk has recently been found by Geoff. (Nice detective work, there!) I hadn't heard anything of him since he dropped off of the email lists having completely disassembled his car, just about.

Tommy--do you remember "Graphics_Group" asking lots of stupid questions on Pfiles? That was me... I think I showed up on the list about 1990 or 91, not too long after getting my first 914.

Glen Stazak is the Midwesterner with an early Six. The balsa-wood defroster vents are very curious. He is still in touch with Randy from Roadglue, and I think he periodically shows up in the North Bay for work or some such.

Jim Thorusen and his lovely family were (and presumably still are) living in Lancaster CA. He dropped back onto the Rennlist 914 list last year or in '03 for just a little bit--he said he would only have time intermittently to read--and then I didn't hear from him again.

I've been with you-all (various on-line 914 groups) for an awfully long time, now. I started out with the dumbest questions (someone posted one here a couple of months ago, I think!) and went on to start parrotting back the answers I had been given, to writing up all of my screw-ups and how I fixed them... And it snow-balled from there. Damn, it has been a long time!

--DD
Joe Bob
I've seen Brian a few times at 911 events...he has a family and is as devoted to them as he was to the 914....that was sold and he has moved on...some of us are stuck in the past....
jd74914
thanks mike, now my curiousity has been satisfied
redshift
Tim? Oh yeah, Tim bought his car from Otto's.

M
chunger
I remember going with my older brother to play netrek at UC Berkeley's computer lab in '93 or so. . .

fun stuff. I still play netrek sometimes.

But I didn't know anything about 914's then. I was getting into sciroccos. NObody in my house worked on cars.

-'Chung
Brett W
I have emails saved from Porschelist back in 98 and others printed from 97. WHat ever happened to Jim Cole, Tim Ward, Jeff Brubaker, Josh Hadler, Jim Philpot, John Hora, Jurgen Hartwig, Dion Dunn, Mike Nugent, etc?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Brett W @ Mar 2 2005, 07:09 PM)
...What ever happened to Jim Cole, Tim Ward, Jeff Brubaker, Josh Hadler, Jim Philpot,...

i saw a couple of posts from Jim Philpot on the 356Talk list just a little while ago.

he still shows 356C, 914-3.0, and 986 in his sig there.
TravisNeff
Mike Nugent parted his car out after having some trouble with his shoulder and sprouted new projects to work on, I think a benz
airsix
QUOTE (Brett W @ Mar 2 2005, 04:09 PM)
WHat ever happened to ...Jurgen Hartwig, Dion Dunn, Mike Nugent, etc?

This info is all about 3 years old, but last I knew... Jurgen (Jay) got out of type-IV's and bought a nice 911SC. Last time I talked to him he was working in real estate. Not sure what Dion is up to, but he sold off some of his 914 race gear. The Momo race seat in my car was bought from him a few years ago. Last I heard of Mike Nugent he had parted out the 914-lite and was working on a new autocross project - an MG-GT I thought.

-Ben M.
JeffBowlsby
Tim Jones...LE owner?

If its the same guy, he recently sold his car to our own Greg Robbins, also from AZ.

I miss Jim Thorusen.
I miss Gary Helbig, he is local but we have never met.

We all know why they do not hang around here... dry.gif
Bleyseng
Mike Nugent had the 914lite car there at that meet and started it up. I saw his new project too, a MG that he was stuffing a aluminum 4.0L V8 into. David Said always said that Mike quit because he could never beat Said. I met a guy there who I gave his first ride in a 914 to, Joe. We became good friends and we really tried hard to buy Brian K's car but Brian K wanted it to stay in Cali. WFT so I found another car for Joe.

I went to Jim Boehmers house with Mike Cooley2 to hook up with Milo and ? when they were on their crazy tour!

I was into the internet in '93 using 300 baud modem, telnet and Mosaic!
Took forever to download anything, but I discovered the 914 stuff and read it til I got found one.
I was looking for the pic of that meet at Mike's but noo can't find them right now.

My best 914 memories have been with Brad and with Korijo. Hooking up with ChrisReale and Korijo, those two young guys haha, and meeting Brad and them at Hooters in Seattle. The Van fundraiser is something only Brad could pull off! I still count Dave and Kori as good friends.
Been a good 10 years....still want to meet this asshole MikeZ...I always drooled over the Rocket!

Geoff

Ok, why JeffB?? I miss all that local Calif stuff as it goes right over my head.
Sparky
Has it been 10 years?! I lurked on POrschephiles, was semi active on porschelist, and very active on Rennlist before it got so friggin huge. I love the 914Club and everyone on it. I feel at home here, kinda like I could walk across the living room in my boxies without offending anyone. monkeydance.gif

My best to all,
Mike D.
bd1308
tim's LE was NICE! i liked it.
Joe Bob
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Mar 2 2005, 05:10 PM)
Tim Jones...LE owner?

If its the same guy, he recently sold his car to our own Greg Robbins, also from AZ.

I miss Jim Thorusen.
I miss Gary Helbig, he is local but we have never met.

We all know why they do not hang around here... dry.gif

I got it Jeff....lighten up already.....your point has been made....again and again....
Bleyseng
What was your name then? I dont recall any Sparky who's a 10 foot purple thingie>
ematulac
QUOTE (Brett W @ Mar 2 2005, 05:09 PM)
I have emails saved from Porschelist back in 98 and others printed from 97. WHat ever happened to Jim Cole, Tim Ward, Jeff Brubaker, Josh Hadler, Jim Philpot, John Hora, Jurgen Hartwig, Dion Dunn, Mike Nugent, etc?

You've got a great memory there, Brett! A lot of those names make me go 'oh yeah, I remember him!' biggrin.gif

Got me feelin' all fuzzy and nostalgic and stuff. huh.gif
mskala
I've been around since 1990 back on porschephiles. A lot of
the names people are throwing around are familiar to me, but
really I just deal with the information, not the personalities.

Back in about '92 I sold Stan H my old (core-type) engine.
Shipped from MA to TX.

datapace
Ahh, the good ole days!

What ever happened to Andrew Kalman, is her around here?

I miss sitting in front of the warm glow of my Apple LC in college reading the list in 1995. My how times have changed!

-bryan
boxstr
porschephiles, I thought there would never be anything that could top that. Stan Hanks was at JPs when you were up a couple of years ago Dave.
Mike Nugent, I have a front bumper mold for his fiberglass bumpers, Signed by Mike. Got it from Dan Root, when I bought the black Duffster six.
CCLINAARP
gregrobbins
Well, I can tell you something about Tim Jones. I purchased his LE this past summer. Here are some of the comments about him in this thread:

-where is Tim of Tims 914 page?

-speaking of Tim, where the hell did he go? He actually had a list/forum too....btu it's real dead. circa 1996.

-Tim Jones I last talked to probably five years ago. Maybe longer. He had gotten into another lightweight mid-engine'd open-top car with great handling... The MR-2 Spyder, which was new at the time.

-Tim? Oh yeah, Tim bought his car from Otto's

-Tim Jones...LE owner? If its the same guy, he recently sold his car to our own Greg Robbins, also from AZ.

-tim's LE was NICE! i liked it.

Tim is a really nice guy and I know he misses 914s. When I purchased his car, it had not been licensed since 2000. Tim had been in an accident (not in a 914) where he sustained an serious shoulder injury that made operating a stick shift difficult and painful. I guess it never really healed and this past summer he decided to sell his car.

Tim was one of the pioneers of having a 914 web page. He told me that Porsche North America gave him grief over using the Porsche name, so he ended up using the www.914fan.net The site is still up, but has not really been updated since 2001 or so. Still, there is some good information to be found. Dave Darling and others shared tech tips and there are photos of a number of cars.

I was surfing the web last summer and jumped to Tim’s site to read the tech stuff and saw that he was selling his car. Since he is only 20 miles away, I contacted him, and we struck a deal. For those that remember Tim’s LE, it is doing fine. There are a few photos on Jeff’s LE site and you will see the car in a number of the photos of the Targa Aid rally from this past weekend. Easy to spot, it is black and yellow and my granddaughter named her BUZZ. License plate is 914BUZZ.

In addition to the LE, Tim had other 914s. I have seen photos of a yellow car and a red one too I think. He had a great license plate: 9ONE4 that the state of Arizona refused to let me have, even though Tim was agreeable.
Steve
Tim's a great guy and we had a lot of fun talking about 914's.

I used to live down the street from Tim in Chandler, AZ many years ago.
I think he had 3 914's at the time.
One was a rust bucket he traded for something that had to do with his house.
I think it was tile work.
The second one his son totaled on Rural and Chandler blvd.
Some lady turned in front of his son at the intersection.
I remember when Tim bought the MR2 and he also had an early corvette.
When I lived there his son was driving the LE and he would drive the new MR2 to work everyday.

I'm glad the LE went to a good home.
Sorry to hear he doesn't play with 914's anymore.

JeffBowlsby
I got it Jeff....lighten up already.....your point has been made....again and again....

Nothing personal Z, but there are a certain few that post here, who do not seem to get it, nor seem to care about having 'simple respect for others' in this public forum as Ginter so aptly termed it the other day. Several respectable 914 owners have left this place because of the antics here. We lose and they lose and its a negative reflection on all of us. And I will keep saying it until it sticks.

Certain individuals need to seriously consider the impact on others before posting some of the explicit images they want to post, and occasionally the extreme language used, if this place has any hope for a healthy future. Not all of us want to be blasted with that garbage every time we open a post. Lets focus on 914s and keep the OT stuff respectable.

No Rules, does not equal No Respect for Others.

[URL=Gary Helbigs Last Post]http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=10672&hl=[/URL]

April 22, 2004....2254 views
Dave_Darling
Josh "josh2" Hadler is off in CO near Ginter. He's married now, and slowly putting the 914 back together after some mechanical troubles. He actively autoXes (and Time Trials I think) with the local SCCA in other cars, but wants to run his 914 again. He posts on the Bird's Racing BBS occasionally.

I know Stan was at JP's place that one time. I talked him into showing... biggrin.gif

Sparky's first name is Mike, and he shares a birthday with me. Day, month, even year. Damn, dude--you're gettin' pretty old!! wink.gif

Not sure what happened to Andrew Kalman. He tried for quite a while to sell his red Chalon-bodied Six conversion for a relatively low price. But it was essentially un-smoggable because it was a 72+ and had carbs on it. (This was before any of the exemptions went through.) I think he eventually dropped the price to $10K... I can hunt up his GeoCities web page occasionally when I Google for it, but nothing new had been added in years.

Gary... I'll have to track Gary down again and see how he's doing.

--DD
Joe Bob
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Mar 2 2005, 10:54 PM)

Nothing personal Z, but there are a certain few that post here, who do not seem to get it, nor seem to care about having 'simple respect for others' in this public forum as Ginter so aptly termed it the other day. Several respectable 914 owners have left this place because of the antics here. We lose and they lose and its a negative reflection on all of us. And I will keep saying it until it sticks.

Certain individuals need to seriously consider the impact on others before posting some of the explicit images they want to post, and occasionally the extreme language used, if this place has any hope for a healthy future. Not all of us want to be blasted with that garbage every time we open a post. Lets focus on 914s and keep the OT stuff respectable.

No Rules, does not equal No Respect for Others.

[URL=Gary Helbigs Last Post]http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=10672&hl=[/URL]

April 22, 2004....2254 views

Well I'm tired of getting the blame.....the rest of my comments will be offline.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.