Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for new type of exhaust...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
surferjoe
I was thinking about replacing my current exhaust with something a little newer. I have seen bugs around town that have pretty slick aluminum exhaust systems. Do they make nice aftermarket exhaust's for 914's?

Cheers.............. wink.gif
Dave_Darling
There are stock-style Stainless Steel heat exchangers.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...s_pg2.htm#item4
(The catalog says NLA, but I think the 2.0 versions can still be ordered from SSI.)

There are full-on race header systems.
http://www.tangerineracing.com
http://www.kerryhunterenterprise.com

...And there are home-brew setups.

For power, the best is the Tangerine Racing Super Header. Kerry Hunter will generally make somewhat less. The SSIs are just a little better than stock but will not rust without extreme provocation. Home-brew setups are only as effective as the person who designed them.

The racing headers lose all pretense of heat. Except possibly one optional add-on to the Super Header, which will probably be OK to defog a windshield.

--DD
redshift
Stainless heater boxes, and Triad is what I am using, and the two teener people that have heard my car in 2 years thought it was a six.

M
Yoei66
I added an aftermarket exhaust to my '75 1.8 a couple weeks ago. It's the 75-76 1.8 Manta performance exhaust from 9Xauto. It shipped from Automotive Atlanta. Not dual exhaust for the 75-76, but has a chrome dual tip on the drivers side. So far so good, and sounds a little cooler than my stock exhaust with a hole in the muffler.

Joe B. driving.gif
TravisNeff
Eurorace headers as well, proabably in the same league as the kerry hunter headers. If it is just mufflers, there's not a whole lot to choose from. Triad, bursch, Dansk, etc. There was a neat looking SS muffler from Mittlemotor.
mattillac
i've got an ebay fart can i've been wanting to put on mine for a while. but i dont know how to weld welder.gif i'm sure it's going to be loud with minimal to no performance gains! aktion035.gif burnout.gif right now i have a rusty bursch style single tip exhaust. it actually sounds pretty good. it would probably sound better if i adjusted my valves. rolleyes.gif
ChrisFoley
I'm in the process of revising my Super Header Exhaust Systems right now. I discovered something that allows me to shorten the primaries, which should improve the dyno results a bit more. smile.gif
Within a couple of months I expect to offer 914 systems that have the exit pipe in the stock location. They will be available with either the Stage I silencer I currently offer, or a Stage II silencer that works instead of the Stage I to provide a relatively quiet output - even on large displacement T4 engines. smile.gif
Currently the Stage II silencer I offer is an add-on to the Stage I, but is designed to exit on the right side of the vehicle.
xsboost90
im thinking of making-or having my favorite muffler shop- make a 911-esk rear portion from my stainless heat exchanged headers that makes the right cross over to the left, and the left to the right..muffler in the middle. Would this have any advantage?
JmuRiz
Cool developments Chris! Anyone used your heater boxes yet...I'll probably go that route when I go big exhaust.
For now I have SS 2.0 heaterboxes and a traid dual out...I love it. I'd say is sounds more like a v6 or a small v8...almost as good as running it with no muffler (too bad I don't have a vid camera for that WOW)

Only thing is, a bigger motor will need a header to breath right, so keep that in mind.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (JmuRiz @ Mar 2 2005, 11:21 PM)
Anyone used your heater boxes yet...

I have sold several to 914 owners who bought my header but have not received any feedback to date.
The one I installed on my car works well but the stock plastic hose in the engine compartment melted right where it attaches to the J tube. I guess an anti-backflow valve is needed or high temp hose maybe, for the times when the blower is not running.
maf914
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Mar 2 2005, 11:20 PM)
The one I installed on my car works well but the stock plastic hose in the engine compartment melted right where it attaches to the J tube. I guess an anti-backflow valve is needed or high temp hose maybe, for the times when the blower is not running.

It's interesting that the j-tube got that hot. On the stock heater set up, there is always air being pushed through the heat exchangers because they are ducted to the fan shroud. This probably keeps the j-tube temperature down.
ChrisFoley
Actually the plastic melted just above the J-tube, so I think it was hot air that did it not the metal tube itself.
The stock system has a flapper valve at the blower I believe that helps prevent backflow of hot air. That, in addition to the constant flow of fresh air into the H/E from the fan shroud, which is dumped into the engine comp. when not needed in the cabin, keeps problems like this from occuring.
In the time I spent working out my setup I was unable to incorporate the stock components which provide this feature.
Obviously more R&D is required to make this a foolproof retrofit. Ideally the stock pieces can be reused to prevent the cost from rising.
Type 4
Bursch has a 914 full header they just dont list it. If anyone is interested I can get a price on them. Send me an email
Rough_Rider
What options are out there for 6 devotee's ? aside from the Dansk & OEM banana options.

Do Tangerine mufflers work with 6 headers?
nein14-6
Speaking of 6 stuff, sorry to hijack, but has anyone seen 914-6 headers that travel over to the passenger side like the Tangerine 4 cylinder setup?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.