Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Found this little beauty for 1500 bucks!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
billium01
Found this on craigslist. Looks pretty solid. First 914 and I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with it yet. Almost bought Scott Mann's orange peel a couple of years ago. Thinking I might do an 8 or a subie 6.
914Sixer
You got to start somewhere. Hopefully not too many of the rust worms.
billium01
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 26 2015, 08:26 PM) *

You got to start somewhere. Hopefully not too many of the rust worms.

Yep! Me too! Found some in the rain gutter around the hood so far and a little in the hellhole. Battery tray is rusted. Got to dive deeper to see what I really have. After seeing some of the cars on here and how much rust people have dealt with I'm pretty confident just about anything can be fixed. I've got Tig welder and a good size shop. Let the games begin!
EdwardBlume
Looks like a winner. Have fun! smilie_pokal.gif
Cairo94507
Terrific! welcome.png With an attitude like that you are going to have a lot of fun and get into some trouble. Fun will be had by all. Welcome again.
rick 918-S
welcome.png
mgp4591
Buckle up, you're in for a fun ride and welcome.png w00t.gif
sb914
welcome.png nice deal. I paid more for just my bumpers headbang.gif
Dave_Darling
If you can, I suggest driving it for a while with the stock motor. Far too many people buy the car and yank the drivetrain out first thing; they never get to drive it. Even the ones who finish the swap never get to enjoy the car the way it was originally designed, as a low-powered momentum-preserving grin machine.

Try it, you may like it...

--DD
76-914
welcome.png
Tom_T
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 26 2015, 09:57 PM) *

welcome.png

Note Rick's screen name above .... he's the guy who you can talk with about implanting a Porsche 928 V8 in yours, if you want to keep it all Porsche in your resto-mod build! piratenanner.gif

welcome.png

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
cpavlenko
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 27 2015, 08:30 AM) *

If you can, I suggest driving it for a while with the stock motor. Far too many people buy the car and yank the drivetrain out first thing; they never get to drive it. Even the ones who finish the swap never get to enjoy the car the way it was originally designed, as a low-powered momentum-preserving grin machine.

--DD

agree.gif I'm still daily driving my stock 71 (1.7)
Montreal914
welcome.png

Just make it run safely, clean it, wax it, and drive it signal914.jpg
driving.gif and enjoy!

When you want to do something major to it, get another one instead so you can still enjoy your 914. biggrin.gif

Beeliner
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Aug 27 2015, 07:03 PM) *

welcome.png

Just make it run safely, clean it, wax it, and drive it signal914.jpg
driving.gif and enjoy!

When you want to do something major to it, get another one instead so you can still enjoy your 914. biggrin.gif

I agree, drive it for a few months then work on it. driving.gif

Get addicted first, then you are more likely to finish it in a reasonable amount of time.
billium01
Thanks everyone! Glad to be here. I wish it were ready for the road! I'd happily drive it the way it is. They are great just the way porsche made them but this one, unfortunately, doesn't run in its current incarnation. Not sure I want to spend the money to rebuild it. I appreciate the idea of restoring a car to what the factory envisioned but its all pistons and con rods to me. I just like mechanical things. You go back far enough all cars are related to Otto.
Dave_Darling
That's why I said "if you can". smile.gif Often enough, these are bought with non-running engines ("a little JB weld can fix that hole in the crankcase!") or without drivetrains.

If it doesn't run, then it's a total blank canvas. Have fun with it, just don't let it sit on jack stands too long! These cars like to be driven, and get upset when they aren't.

--DD
steuspeed
I agree with Dave. Clean it up a bit and drive it. More power would be great, but I have more fun just cruising with my gf with the top down. They think it's fast b/c it says PORSCHE down the side. Plenty of pointing, smiles and thumbs up as is.

driving.gif
billium01
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 28 2015, 05:34 PM) *

That's why I said "if you can". smile.gif Often enough, these are bought with non-running engines ("a little JB weld can fix that hole in the crankcase!") or without drivetrains.

If it doesn't run, then it's a total blank canvas. Have fun with it, just don't let it sit on jack stands too long! These cars like to be driven, and get upset when they aren't.

--DD

Gonna dive right in! Just got a Haynes tear down manual in the mail. Thanks Dave
boxsterfan
Congrats! Now lets see pics of the longs and hell hole. smoke.gif
billium01
Here's the concept. Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(billium01 @ May 17 2016, 11:29 PM) *
Here's the concept.

This might help:
http://www.eggscollective.org/914visualize...visualizer.html

smile.gif
Cuda911
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 17 2016, 11:34 PM) *

Here's the concept.

This might help:

smile.gif

Wow!!!! I never saw that visualizer site before. Is it available for other car models?
74ravenna
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 27 2015, 11:30 AM) *

--DD

agree.gif Lots of fun as they are!
jrblackbox
thats cool! now if i can only lose the hubcaps on the early steelies and paint them black, and change the targa roof to body color!
jkb944t
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 17 2016, 10:34 PM) *

Here's the concept.

This might help:

smile.gif

This is so cool! somehow I never saw this before. Thanks

Jeff B
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 27 2015, 11:30 AM) *

--DD

Totally agree.
Also, by doing so you'll establish the condition (and value) of the original drivetrain should you decide to go forward with the transplant.
mepstein
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ May 18 2016, 03:12 AM) *

Here's the concept.

This might help:

smile.gif

Wow!!!! I never saw that visualizer site before. Is it available for other car models?

it was custom made for a 914 but i would love one for a 911
Cracker
That is too cool - thanks for the link!

...and I agree with others - drive it for awhile and enjoy the car. Too many of these stay perpetually on JS for years (and years) during "projects" and upgrades.

Tony
billium01

Here's the concept.

This might help:

smile.gif

Thanks SirAndy!
iwanta914-6
That visualizer has been posted so many times, where have you all been that are just now discovering it? lol J/K It is fun to play around with, the jack stand option is a nice touch!
billium01
Too late! Already up on blocks. Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Looks like a great start!

FYI A tig welder is not a good welder for dirty/rusty metal. Be prepared to get or borrow a Mig welder. Much easier to get to difficult to reach and dirty areas.
Gmanscott55
Welcome!! Like the rendering. Give some thought to black front and rear hood. Have fun with the build.

I have a subie WRX 2.0 turbo conversion which previous owner had completed by Precision Chassis Works in Phoenix.
billium01
The engine is an L33. 5.3 liters 315hp stock. Got a 92mm fast intake and a batwing oil pan. Planning a cam swap and headers. Maybe I'll turbo charge it later like that Kiwi fellow! Boxster 6 speed, done and done, all except flares a cage and a thousand other things. Hot rod! Click to view attachment
billium01
QUOTE(Gmanscott55 @ May 18 2016, 08:43 AM) *

Welcome!! Like the rendering. Give some thought to black front and rear hood. Have fun with the build.

I have a subie WRX 2.0 turbo conversion which previous owner had completed by Precision Chassis Works in Phoenix.

Thanks! Planning the car on my computer. Been using rhino 3d for the last 7 years or so for another project in the works. It's a great tool.
I've seen your car lots of times. She's a beauty.
billium01
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 18 2016, 08:33 AM) *

FYI A tig welder is not a good welder for dirty/rusty metal. Be prepared to get or borrow a Mig welder. Much easier to get to difficult to reach and dirty areas.

Thanks! Yeah thought about buying a mig. She's a little rusty but not too bad. Compared to some projects I've seen on here I got very lucky. Front has a little crash damage, rust in the front trunk a little under the battery right rear jack point and the door sill. It was garaged when I found her. Guy had big plans but was moving to a condo. Dough!
Cracker
You went from acquisition to engine in a matter of a couple weeks? If so, fast moving...

Strongly consider installing some significant reinforcements - if you've come this far, this quickly, you probably already know this but just sayin.

Best of luck.

T
billium01
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 18 2016, 08:33 AM) *

Thanks! Yeah thought about buying a mig. She's a little rusty but not too bad. Compared to some projects I've seen on here I got very lucky. Front has a little crash damage, rust in the front trunk a little under the battery right rear jack point and the door sill. It was garaged when I found her. Guy had big plans but was moving to a condo. Dough!
billium01
QUOTE(Reverend Troublemaker @ May 18 2016, 09:08 AM) *

You went from acquisition to engine in a matter of a couple weeks? If so, fast moving...

Strongly consider installing some significant reinforcements - if you've come this far, this quickly, you probably already know this but just sayin.

Best of luck.

T

Oh its been awhile since I got her. Remodeling a house too. Was thinking reinforcement wise, I'll put a full cage in it, with tubes triangulation the front and rear. Was thinking those reinforcement kits aka doubling the panel thickness might not be the right way to go. Gonna keep the uni body intact as much as possible. Sorry I'm not making her what she came out of the factory as! I've always wanted to hot rod stuff. Don't worry I won't put Porsche badging on my Chevy motor.
Cracker
Sounds like a plan...I could care less what kind of badge you put on it. Its your's. Enjoy the build!

Tony

QUOTE(billium01 @ May 18 2016, 03:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Reverend Troublemaker @ May 18 2016, 09:08 AM) *

Best of luck.

T

Oh its been awhile since I got her. Remodeling a house too. Was thinking reinforcement wise, I'll put a full cage in it, with tubes triangulation the front and rear. Was thinking those reinforcement kits aka doubling the panel thickness might not be the right way to go. Gonna keep the uni body intact as much as possible. Sorry I'm not making her what she came out of the factory as! I've always wanted to hot rod stuff. Don't worry I won't put Porsche badging on my Chevy motor.

pete000
Nice find and a great price !
billium01
Got the engine out today. Click to view attachment
billium01
Click to view attachment looks pretty good in there
billium01
A little rust down there. Now to do some cleanup Click to view attachment ps can't rotate that pic to be upright
billium01
got some nice bits in the mail the other day

kennedy engineering LS1 to boxster trans. Work of art!

Click to view attachment
billium01
nice looking clutch from kennedy tooClick to view attachment
billium01
Anyone know who makes this front valance?Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Thats a hellova clutch/flywheel package!

I think that front lip is custom.
poorsche914
QUOTE(billium01 @ Jun 25 2016, 11:49 PM) *
Anyone know who makes this front valance?Click to view attachment

Looks like a 916-style front bumper with added orange lenses as turn signals.

driving.gif
billium01
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 26 2016, 06:33 AM) *

Thats a hellova clutch/flywheel package!

I think that front lip is custom.

Thanks Andyrew! Yea they do have some nice stuff over at kennedy. Yea might be a custom job. Looking for a simple style front valance/bumper with an air inlet and air dam. haven't found anything to fit the bill yet. This ones close though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.