Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slight OT, but Porsche related
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stugray
I heard that Porsche has a recall on the 2014 GT3s due to "loosened fastener on a connecting rod in the engine sparked a number of fires".

A couple of searches stated that Porsche is just replacing the engines outright.
http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/911-g...ing-all-engines

So what are they planning on doing with the removed engines?

AND (just a thought experiment here) HOW can a loose rod fastener result in engine fires unless the rod just comes loose and the engine bursts into flames???

So for all of those that HAVENT experienced the meltdown, WHY a complete engine replacement?
whatabout1
They are just trying to hide the Intermediate Shaft Bearing failures.
colingreene
What would make you say that, I dont even know if they still have the IMS.
JmuRiz
They've actually had a second recall.
I think in both cases they are a 'better safe than sorry' QC thing. I have no problem with a proactive company protecting their high end model customers.
porschetub
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Aug 29 2015, 01:39 PM) *

They've actually had a second recall.
I think in both cases they are a 'better safe than sorry' QC thing. I have no problem with a proactive company protecting their high end model customers.

Yea makes sense,but you have one of these cars and they say don't drive it.....so you sit and wait till you come up on the list for engine replacement,thats not customer friendly,are they handing out bus or taxi vouchers.....don't think so.
Good question on where the engines go confused24.gif ,maybe they go back to the factory and get inspected by R&D then rebuilt,private GT3 racers would buy them?
Hope theres room in the shed with all those dead Boxster engines in the way av-943.gif av-943.gif .
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 28 2015, 08:05 PM) *
...are they handing out bus or taxi vouchers.....

I would bet that very few if any GT3s are primary daily drivers, and none are in single-car households. wink.gif

--DD
Maltese Falcon
If the engine failure looked like this, the remnant
engine was probably inspected at a Porsche tech center in the country where the failure took place. The luckier engines probably all went back to Stuttgart for teardown and inspection.
Click to view attachment
r_towle
Aluminum melts.
I suspect they stripped them and melted them down to reuse.
No need to keep them for evidence
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.