Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My sitting 2.0 What to do ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Beakster
I bought a 1973 2.0 914 that has been sitting for the last 5 years in a guys garage .. he thinks the eng hasn't turned over and is seized ... is there any tricks in trying to get it to turn over .. I have heard of bus engines sitting for years and guys going out and firing them up .. would love to hear from anyone that has had the same problem .. Thanks.. smile.gif
Cairo94507
Drain oil and see if you can see any metal particles or objects. Refill after replacing filter. Remove spark plugs and squirt some Marvel Mystery Oil or the likes into each cylinder and do that for a couple of days to allow it to penetrate and soak into the cylinders. Jack the rear of the car up and put it into 5th gear and see if you can spin a wheel and make the engine turn. Good luck. Disclaimer - I know nothing about engines.
Johny Blackstain
I agree w/ the Marvel Mystery oil, oil & filter change & trying to turn it by hand. I'd let it sit w/ that stuff for @ least 24 hrs before trying to turn. Leave the plugs out. If you get it to turn then fresh plugs, points, gasoline & fuel filter/hoses before trying to start it.
flmont
Yep,..Thats the best way to do it,..
whatabout1
Yea, I go with Cairo. But if you have a standard dif you can only lift 1 wheel off the ground.
Otherwise the other wheel will spin in the opposite direction not turning the motor.

But that would test to see if the diff, axles, wheel bearings, etc are still turning free.
BeatNavy
That's what I did before I got my 1.7L fired up after 12 years - Marvel Mystery Oil. Once you get close to firing it up, make sure nothing valuable is behind the tailpipe (like your wife's Mercedes) or you might get lots of ancient crud bits all over it. Ask me how I know. Once I got mine running it took about a half hour of running before that oil burned off. In the meantime, I laid down a nice white smokescreen for the neighborhood.
Mike Bellis
Maybe fill it with tranny fluid and acetone. Might free it up too. Just don't run it without flushing it out with motor oil first.
Beakster
Hey Guys what's this Marvel Mystery Oil ?? .. I have never heard of that Stuff Up here in Canada ..
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Beakster @ Aug 27 2015, 09:38 PM) *

Hey Guys what's this Marvel Mystery Oil ?? .. I have never heard of that Stuff Up here in Canada ..

Google it to find a nearby vendor smile.gif
Beakster
Thanks Johnny ... We don't have that stuff in Canada..
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Beakster @ Aug 27 2015, 10:05 PM) *

Thanks Johnny ... We don't have that stuff in Canada..

Can you order it online & have it shipped? Shouldn't be that expensive & it's available almost everywhere here in the States.
Spoke
I bought a seized 1.8L engine. Drained the oil; most of what came out was water.

Removed the plugs; squirted WD40 and motor oil into each cylinder.

Forced the engine to move about 1 degree and back. Then 2 degrees and back a bit, then 3, 4, ... until the engine turned 360 degrees. Never removed the heads. Tested and installed the original FI. I'm still running the engine 5 years later. Pulls good for a 1.8L.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.