Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New memeber needing help! Fuel pump problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jonnydaub
Hey guys my name is jon. Glad to find this site as i just made a major score and landed a 1973 914 with only 20k miles for dirt cheap. It was garaged longer then ive been alive haha. But my real question and concern is i have a carter fuel pump and one of the nipple snapped while i was installing it. I cant seem to find parts for that pump and would rather not buy a new pump because that is a new pump. Was hoping someone here has an extra pump they might wanna sell or could help me out with finding an aftermarket. Thanks guys!
914Sixer
Picture of broken nipple and where it goes on pump would be helpful
Jonnydaub
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Can't help with the nipple but that hose clamp is not for high pressure applications.

You want to use FI clamps that have a solid band ...
smile.gif

PS: welcome.png
Jonnydaub
Thanks for the heads up! Ill snag some up
bdstone914
QUOTE(Jonnydaub @ Aug 27 2015, 07:00 PM) *

I have lots of failed pumps and may have some replacement o rings too. Can get a replacement top to you for a few bucks. Can check tomorrow.
Bruce
Jonnydaub
that would make my day, thank you very much
ThePaintedMan
If Bruce doesn't have what you need, you could also try to tap that hole for a brass nipple. Find the appropriate size threads for the hole you need and the other end is 5/16. Use the yellow fuel-safe teflon tape when installing it in the pump. Pressure test it before you go driving anywhere and as Andy said, buy the proper FI hose clamps - they sell them at Autozone, Advance, etc.
Spoke
welcome.png

Let's see some pics of this 20k mile car.
Jonnydaub
I was gunna tap into it tomorrow if i couldnt get any help or find a replacement top. I figured you guys would have spares and that would save me so much trouble haha
914Next
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 27 2015, 10:17 PM) *

welcome.png

Let's see some pics of this 20k mile car.

agree.gif
Jonnydaub
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Spoke
Nice. Let's see some pics of the longitudinals. They look good from those angles. Also pics of the engine, front/rear trunks, and interior.

If those look good, you may have found the "barn find" of the century.
Jonnydaub
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 27 2015, 09:26 PM) *

Nice. Let's see some pics of the longitudinals. They look good from those angles. Also pics of the engine, front/rear trunks, and interior.

If those look good, you may have found the "barn find" of the century.

Ill snap some tomorrow and show you. Very clean car, take a guess at what i paid for this.....
Spoke
QUOTE(Jonnydaub @ Aug 27 2015, 10:28 PM) *

Very clean car, take a guess at what i paid for this.....

If it really is a 20k (not 120k smile.gif ) car, as clean as it looks and not rusted: $15-$20k
Jonnydaub
I bought this bad boy for only 600 bucks. I got all the paperwork and maintenance records. Feels like i stole it lol i even have parking ticket in the glove box for .75 cents back in 75 that i found. Im only 24 but iim in love with this car.
bandjoey
Now don't scare the guy off yet. biggrin.gif Drive and enjoy the car now. Fix it during the winter. Hopefully it's a rust free driver. Congrats. Orange is the fastest color by the way. signal914.jpg
EdwardBlume
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png

You scored no matter what you find. You can replace the fuel pump with a 75-76 2 way pump for about $80.
Jonnydaub
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Aug 27 2015, 09:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Jonnydaub @ Aug 27 2015, 07:00 PM) *

I have lots of failed pumps and may have some replacement o rings too. Can get a replacement top to you for a few bucks. Can check tomorrow.
Bruce

Just keep me updated if you have an extra top, I'm ready for payment whenever
porschetub
QUOTE(Jonnydaub @ Aug 28 2015, 02:43 PM) *

I bought this bad boy for only 600 bucks. I got all the paperwork and maintenance records. Feels like i stole it lol i even have parking ticket in the glove box for .75 cents back in 75 that i found. Im only 24 but iim in love with this car.

Good score,looks like a nice car,that pump body won't support a metal fitting,just replace it and be happy in the knowledge it is a safer option,cheers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.