Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: off topic-just bought a 81 mercedes 240 d
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rosenfe
one owner,dealer serviced since new with all stamps in book.150k,ac,electric sunroof,perfect body and interior,4 speed.its a simple car,just like a 914.no computers,will run forever.
Mueller
Nice, my mother-in-law has an '83 or '84 240 turbo diesel, 400K+ miles on it.

Slowest car I've ever driven in my life...I'd still love to own it.

I do need to fix her power windows in it for her, I think they are air actuated or something crazy like that.
rosenfe
if its a 240 it has no turbo,but 4 speed is peppy enough,automatic is a dog .
JmuRiz
I've never heard anyone refer to a 240D as peppy biggrin.gif

Does it have the lightweight hubcap wheels? If so they save 60lbs for the set of 5 over the steel version!
Mueller
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Aug 28 2015, 09:26 AM) *

if its a 240 it has no turbo,but 4 speed is peppy enough,automatic is a dog .

I'll have to look at it again now...thanks!
914mikee100
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 28 2015, 07:58 AM) *

Nice, my mother-in-law has an '83 or '84 240 turbo diesel, 400K+ miles on it.

Slowest car I've ever driven in my life...I'd still love to own it.

I do need to fix her power windows in it for her, I think they are air actuated or something crazy like that.

The windows are electric, but the door locks and trunk lock are pneumatic.
rosenfe
it has thoe period round hub caps ,color matched to car.they have good enough power to go 8o on freeway and get on the on ramp.thats if engine and all is in good shape.remember these were used as taxis all over the world,some have kept going with a greek taxi going over one million miles on same body and several engines.
mangrum
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Aug 28 2015, 11:42 AM) *

one owner,dealer serviced since new with all stamps in book.150k,ac,electric sunroof,perfect body and interior,4 speed.its a simple car,just like a 914.no computers,will run forever.

In one respect it is even simpler than a 914 because there are no spark plugs and associated part like coil, etc. Combustion is provided via compression so maintenance, like oil changes, are important. Motors will also out last 914-4 motors if well maintained.

Door locks and engine shutoff use vacuum. If there is a leak in the system your engine may not shut off via the key (switch has a vacuum line). There is a manual shutoff switch under the hood in case.

I had a 1982 300D Turbo. The engines are known as "bullet proof" and will go forever if well maintained. After 325K and two transmission I gave up. I have not had a Mercedes that did not have auto trans issues. The attitude of the Engineers back in the day was "people should learn to drive a stick." I think they still have that attitude.
Dave_Darling
The 240D has a real achilles' heel, though. I know two people who had them, both wound up with cracked sleeves in one cylinder. They're evidently a real b*tch to re-sleeve, possibly because of the high pressures and shock loads that the diesel combustion process creates.

One guy ditched his (bought a new diesel Bug instead), the other guy parked his and was searching for a good used motor. And searching. And searching...

--DD
Rav914
Nice. I have a '79 300D. Love the W123.
EdwardBlume
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(RobW @ Aug 29 2015, 03:55 AM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Somebody had to do it... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.