Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fastest Subie conversion,. 0-60 times
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flmont
I would be curious,..with a EG33 conversion or the 2.5 Turbos 0-60 times and also Hi-Way cruising speeds,. could U cruise at say 100-120 MPH depending on Trany ( I Know ) but whats the common numbers for those car's,..Taking the plunge ASAP and I cant do it quick enough..!!

The flat 6 conversion,equals 1980's Ferrari performance numbers easy and then some,..
Mueller
QUOTE(flmont @ Aug 28 2015, 05:24 PM) *

I would be curious,..with a EG33 conversion or the 2.5 Turbos 0-60 times and also Hi-Way cruising speeds,. could U cruise at say 100-120 MPH depending on Trany ( I Know ) but whats the common numbers for those car's,..Taking the plunge ASAP and I cant do it quick enough..!!

The flat 6 conversion,equals 1980's Ferrari performance numbers easy and then some,..

Seems simple enough to just google what stock and modified Subarus do and then do the math for a lighter combo with less friction loss (2wd instead of 4wd)

SirAndy
Dunno anything about subies but i was clocked at under 4 seconds several times.

It helps to not have to shift ...
biggrin.gif
IanJ
http://www.060calculator.com/

That does a fairly accurate guess.
DBCooper
Don't know my 0-60 but that calculator puts me at 4.2 seconds and I've run a 13.0 quarter mile at 109. Curious Andy, have you ever done a timed quarter? Or anyone else with a P6 conversion? I don't recall ever seeing one.

Chris H.
Andy has been clocked at least once at 105 with professional equipment w00t.gif .
flmont
WOW,..under 4 I bet is great,..that is a VERY expensive 0-60 for sure,..I mean a 3.6 man how sweet,...
whats ur cruising spd
flmont
OH,.Yea I could Mueller,..but with all the different set-ups,..and driving habits.I am wondering what the cars can do safely,Aswell..they always talk top-end..but I wonder if a 914 can handle a cruise spd of say 125 MPH and for how long,..I wouldn't go that fast for any lenth of time on a real Hi-way...but curious,..speed a lot of money for PWR and speed,..I just gotta know,...LOL
iamchappy
Calculator puts mine at 2.8
Mueller
QUOTE(flmont @ Aug 28 2015, 06:25 PM) *

OH,.Yea I could Mueller,..but with all the different set-ups,..and driving habits.I am wondering what the cars can do safely,Aswell..they always talk top-end..but I wonder if a 914 can handle a cruise spd of say 125 MPH and for how long,..I wouldn't go that fast for any lenth of time on a real Hi-way...but curious,..speed a lot of money for PWR and speed,..I just gotta know,...LOL

Yes...any of the conversions....they can do 125 until running out of fuel or getting pulled over by the Highway patrol smile.gif

I see no safety issues unless it was a hack conversion...the only additional hazard over an air cooled motor is the threat of a coolant leak, then again it could be argued that a /6 could be a hazard due to the oil tank and lines that can and have ruptured.

SirAndy
Stock 901 transmission so i top out at around 135ish.

Never been able to do this for longer periods of time though, there really is no place in the US where you can keep this up safely.
dry.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 28 2015, 05:57 PM) *
Curious Andy, have you ever done a timed quarter?

Professionally timed? No ...
driving.gif
flmont
I wish I could do a 3.6..but,.. I can do 3or 4 subie conversion for the price of just that engine...LOL...So wont happen for me
DBCooper
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 28 2015, 07:02 PM) *

Never been able to do this for longer periods of time though, there really is no place in the US where you can keep this up safely.

I shouldn't say this out loud, but there is a place. Highway 50, "The Loneliest Road in America", east of Sparks to southwest Colorado. Relatively straight, no traffic, no roadside anything, just a lot of empty space. It was a favorite of ours commuting back and forth to Texas. Once I was cruising at 115-120 and saw a black speck in the mirror, gaining on me. I thought it was a Nevada trooper, the highway has signs saying it's patrolled from the air, so i thought I was toast. I slowed down to 85-90, thought I might be able to sell that to the cop, but ZOOM!! A black 930 went past at least 150 mph. Cool, so picked up speed but then saw another black spec in the mirror, again gaining, so I slowed down again, probably a trooper on the tail of that 930, but damned if it wasn't another 930 going probably a little faster than the first.

I saw both cars in a restaurant parking lot another 50 miles up the road, but didn't stop. Have kicked myself since, I'll never know their story.

Mine car's gone 130 with more left, but I wasn't in it so that's hearsay. I was angry when I heard that, I've gone 120 and thought the rear was getting a little light. I already have poor judgement, but someone else was 10 mph worse in the judgement department.

So ANYBODY else done an officially timed quarter mile?

flmont
Isnt that the stretch of Hi Way they use to close 1 weekend a year to let u run unlimited speed in 1 direction for those who signed up..???
flmont
DB..what kind of trany do u use,...
Chris914n6
F quotes...

Stock bodied car, the rear floats over 120mph. If you had to swerve for anything you're screwed.

My 3.0L under 6 sec easy, using just 2nd.

I've got the H gear. 3000 rpm at 90 mph all day long.

Lots of roads in NV to open up on. Only 1 NHP car that I know of...

Silver State Classic Challenge http://www.silverstateclassic.com/
DBCooper
QUOTE(flmont @ Aug 28 2015, 07:32 PM) *

DB..what kind of trany do u use,...

Subaru five speed, 3.90 ratio (I think), with a Quaife. Here: Build Thread

Andyrew
It says ill be at 2.5 seconds... I know that aint happening. Ive played around with Forza on xbox and put in all the cars perameters (hp,weight,gear ratios corrected for anticipated top speed in each gear, tires, grip level, ect) what ive found was high 3 second 0-60 is possible, and 1/4 in 10.95 at 141mph.
DBCooper
Yeah, that's the problem with simulators and calculators, with what transmission would that happen and hold together? And so on. They're best for lively discussions with buddies while drinking beer.

flmont
Oh,..iam sorry.. DB....I watched that whole damn vid it forgot it was You..great work way beyond my ability...I will hve to stick with the 901.....
Andyrew
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 29 2015, 09:04 AM) *

Yeah, that's the problem with simulators and calculators, with what transmission would that happen and hold together? And so on. They're best for lively discussions with buddies while drinking beer.

DB,

Thats with the Audi 5 speed. Used regularly in drag racing up to 650whp. If that doesnt hold then the 6 speed will.

And I only interjected my bench calculations since everyone else was smile.gif

I have internal goals for my car as everyone has with theirs. smile.gif
DBCooper
Sure, Andyrew, you're absolutely right, and I wasn't talking about your car but about those calculators in general. You're doing it right, but how many cars have a V8 or something in front of a 901? Without even mentioning breaking the 901 that stronger modern transmission you're putting in will have HALF the driveline loss and better ratios. Limited slip? Whatever, big difference, but that calculator treats them all the same. The results in those calculators are interesting but only vaguely related to the real world. That's why I see them as being fun for buddies kidding with their friends while drinking beer, but not much more than that.

I'm still surprised that no one's been to a drag strip. I know it's not standard Porsche milieu and T4 engined 914's aren't known for acceleration, but that's still the only standard performance measure that most of us will ever have access to, as opposed to bench-racing could's and should's. No big deal or anything, I'm just surprised.

iamchappy
I grew up with muscle cars in the 60s and 70s my brother had a 70 Chevy nova ss 396 and I had a 390 AMX and had plenty of rides in friends fast cars, none of them were as fast as my 914 with the 3.1 turbo with the 901 with short gears and lsd. But I can't hard launch it. From a rolling start the car is flat out fast straight through all gears with hardly any duration between gears.. If you can imagine it's kinda like I have 5 first gears.
DBCooper
I wouldn't brag too much about the AMC 390, biggrin.gif but I know exactly what you mean, Chappy, can't shift it fast enough. That is SO cool when you get to that point, but still, take it to a dragstrip. You'll be the only non-muscle car there, which is already kind of cool, you'll have a MILLION people asking you questions, and you'll have a lot of fun. You probably know that already, they know what's hot and what's not, and your car will impress them. So grandma it off the line, if that's what you have to do, and then go for it, see what you got. Other than dyno numbers, which don't really mean that much, it's pretty much the ONLY performance number that people can actually compare. It will cost you maybe twenty bucks but it will be worth your time and you'll have fun, I guarantee. You also usually learn something about your car and the basics of acceleration, which is never a bad thing. But bottom line? It's a fun night.

SirAndy
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 29 2015, 06:28 PM) *
I'm still surprised that no one's been to a drag strip. I know it's not standard Porsche milieu and T4 engined 914's aren't known for acceleration, but that's still the only standard performance measure that most of us will ever have access to, as opposed to bench-racing could's and should's. No big deal or anything, I'm just surprised.

Just not something i really care about ...
confused24.gif
DBCooper
Yeah, so how do you know that? Have you ever tried it?

It's actually nice to know where you really stand. Numbers don't lie, the rest is all just talk.

SirAndy
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 29 2015, 09:32 PM) *
It's actually nice to know where you really stand. Numbers don't lie, the rest is all just talk.

Well, you assume i actually care about numbers, which i don't.

I just accidentally happened to be at the right place at the right time to get some timed 0-60 runs.
I'd be perfectly fine not knowing.

Straight line acceleration has never been of any interest to me ...
smile.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 29 2015, 10:48 PM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 29 2015, 09:32 PM) *

Well, you assume i actually care about numbers, which i don't.

I just accidentally happened to be at the right place at the right time to get some timed 0-60 runs.
I'd be perfectly fine not knowing.

smile.gif

I understand your feeling that way Sir but for a long time at least with us who grew up in the musclecar era, the 0-60 times were must-haves for bench racing and car sales. I've owned several nice 60's and 70's musclecars and it doesn't matter much to me anymore, partly because we lost those magic numbers in the late 70s-80s and it's refreshing now to see muscle come back in a BIG way. I'm with you so far as thinking "if it don't go around corners fast, it doesn't interest me" but it seems strange to think that no one around has been to the track just to find out what the numbers are. I think I'll do that when my car is completed just to have the little timeslip that eliminates alot of doubt to the non believers of power to weight ratios!
914forme
And then to that point are you going to do all the tricks? Run narrow fronts? Run Mickies on the back, or at least BFG DOT Drag radials? Soften the rear springs and shocks? Reduce your drag? Its like any game, you can setup the car to get better numbers. And trust me drag racers understand Power to weight ratio, thats why funny cars and dragsters where invented! Even door slammers go to great lengths to reduce weight. I know one guy that runs a car, and has a female driver, why, she's a good 60 pounds on anybody that shows up on the line. She beats me by 108 pounds dry.gif if we had the exact same car. So in this example using the 0-60 calculator she would run a 4.242 second 0-60 in my 914. I run 4.399. Run that out over the quarter, and you get an idea of what the difference would be.

Our PCA region ran auto-xs at drag strips, does that count for running the 1/4 mile? Us in timing and scoring left the boards on for one event. Believe me Porsche guys liked lighting the board, even if the numbers meant nothing except to that event. As you where rolling start when you crossed the line, and you had hard braking to make the box and then a 90 for the return run where you got to driving.gif

We also ran a drag night at the Porsche Parade back in 93. Lots of fun had that night also.
DBCooper
QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 30 2015, 02:11 AM) *

And then to that point are you going to do all the tricks? Run narrow fronts? [...]
Not at all, run what you brung. It's just for fun.

QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 30 2015, 02:11 AM) *

We also ran a drag night at the Porsche Parade back in 93. Lots of fun had that night also.
That's what I'm talking about, the fun part. It's fun that night and it's even more fun bench racing afterwards.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 29 2015, 09:48 PM) *

What? You have to accelerate down the straight to get to the next corner, don't you? Did you put in all that extra horsepower to be quicker through the corners?

I totally understand not being interested in a timed quarter mile as a sport. I'm not either, it's more for curiosity, one and done. Not many of us can get timed out on a big track so it's probably the only standardized motorsports event most people can participate in that produces quantifiable data. It's like getting results from an engine dyno, until you have them it's all just bench racing and speculation.

I never really thought about it before, but realized I hadn't seen those numbers from anyone else here, so I was just curious. That's all. No one's suggesting anyone put on slicks and loosen up their front suspension, and you sure won't see any of those drag guys at the next autocross. It's just interesting, if you have it, to compare. I'd suggest that the process of getting those numbers can be pretty illuminating, as well, but that's another subject.

EdwardBlume
I still think an "AWD" 914 would be particularly interesting.

After driving a C4 911, I don't think I'd go back to a C2 ever.
Spoke
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 30 2015, 12:48 AM) *

agree.gif

I worry too about breaking something trying to go through the gears at full throttle especially in my 930. Seen too many amateurs put their cars into the walls or break something at drag strips. I don't want to be one of them.
BIGKAT_83
A while back a member (wbergtho) posted about his drag strip times in his LS1/930 transaxle 914. He ran a 11.04 at 129mph. His 60 ft times were almost 2 seconds which is super slow. He had to be really flying on the big end.

Back maybe 10 years ago somebody from new england posted some videos of his sbc/901 914 at the drags running mid 12seconds. This was with a pretty mild 350 engine.

Bob
Andyrew
I've done a couple 1/4 mile tests in my car with the v8/901 setup with very mild launches and they were in the high 12's. The biggest thing is the gear changes and when you get into the big HP/TQ game (above 300) it gets to be about traction in the lower gears.

129 trap speed is flying! Makes perfect sense of the 11 flat time. In fact I am not surprised by the 2 second 60ft.

The fastest 914 I was ever in was the very wild white flared IMSA car with 315 hoosiers and a 500hp v8. That car was sideways and didnt regain traction till about 80mph.... This is one of the main reasons why I chose a big turbo car and decided to incorporate traction control and stability control (Not to mention I LOVE LOVE LOVE the systems in my Fiesta ST..).

In full race spec I will be turning the boost down in first and second gear so I can maintain the traction threshold, and once its at the limit I'll let the system handle the bumps and niggles in traction that could throw it off the edge. I dont think Im going to have a problem holding full power (500+) in third which is 72-110 on my gearbox.
iamchappy
Bill aka wbergtho gave me a ride in his car, unfortunately a valve rocker let go and he had to baby it all the way home. It had grunt...not bragging about my 68 390 AMX but i still have a fondness for the car and it was fast in the day. Mark Donahue did well driving one as well as the Javelin....I never see them on the road anymore pretty rare.
SirAndy
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 30 2015, 06:01 AM) *
Did you put in all that extra horsepower to be quicker through the corners?

I did it for the fun of it, not because of some arbitrary numbers.

Fun as in "Fahrvergnügen". The joy you get out of driving a motorized vehicle.
aktion035.gif
flmont
I asked the question because a lot of car show's always give the 0-60 time for the supercar status a rating of 0-60 in under 5 seconds,due to most cars cant do it,..and that's why these cars are in a class by them selfves...plus, top end cruising speed...!!!!! Hey who wouldn't love the autobahn.. at140 MPH...for as long as ur able...Damn...
mgp4591
The whole 1/4 mile thing would be strictly run what you drive, not prepared for track with special anything except tire pressures- basically what you drive on the street. I wouldn't want to go to all that extra trouble and we'd put most of the street driven cars back to the street anyway!
DBCooper
Cool, Bob, I hadn't seen those. Fast cars. VERY fast cars. You too Andyrew, I didn't know that. Very cool.

QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 30 2015, 07:01 AM) *

I worry too about breaking something trying to go through the gears at full throttle especially in my 930. Seen too many amateurs put their cars into the walls or break something at drag strips. I don't want to be one of them.
But you go through the gears hard occasionally on rural country roads or freeway on ramps, don't you? It's no different that that, but safer.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 30 2015, 11:30 AM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 30 2015, 06:01 AM) *
Did you put in all that extra horsepower to be quicker through the corners?

I did it for the fun of it, not because of some arbitrary numbers.

Fun as in "Fahrvergnügen". The joy you get out of driving a motorized vehicle.
aktion035.gif
Aw Andy.... you had some joy from your 2 liter too, but it wasn't enough, you wanted more horsepower. And where do you use horsepower? Down the straights, because that's more fahrvergnugen than a 2 liter, surely? And you do timed autocrosses, right? Those numbers are even more arbitrary.

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Aug 30 2015, 10:19 AM) *
Mark Donahue did well driving one as well as the Javelin....
Absolutely. And not dissing AMX's, I actually saw him in that red/white/blue car out here in California in the first year of the TransAm series, but from what I remember it was harder to make them go fast than some of the other cars.

No point, I guess, but now I'm even more intrigued.

matthepcat
Fastest Suby conversions, or any type for that matter are those that are driven and off jack stands smile.gif

mgp4591
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Aug 30 2015, 08:04 AM) *

A while back a member (wbergtho) posted about his drag strip times in his LS1/930 transaxle 914. He ran a 11.04 at 129mph. His 60 ft times were almost 2 seconds which is super slow. He had to be really flying on the big end.

Back maybe 10 years ago somebody from new england posted some videos of his sbc/901 914 at the drags running mid 12seconds. This was with a pretty mild 350 engine.

Bob

Kind of like how F1 cars can't launch like a Super Stock or even a well tuned street car- we don't have the chassis set up for it. The 914 is designed for something else so with all that power you have to apply it judiciously or you're going to either go up in smoke or twist your chassis into a pretzel... I'd rather just drive it and enjoy its purpose built qualities!
SirAndy
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 30 2015, 08:17 PM) *
And you do timed autocrosses, right? Those numbers are even more arbitrary.

Wrong. The timed runs at an auto cross are about me and not about the car.
Big difference.

I use AX timing to improve my driving skills, not to measure my cars HP/torque/acceleration ...
driving.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 31 2015, 10:16 AM) *

I use AX timing to improve my driving skills, not to measure my cars HP/torque/acceleration ...
driving.gif

So you're not at all competitive, and never compare your times with your buddies? Ever?

Also seems unfortunate that since the course changes a little (or a lot) each time you can't use your times to evaluate changes made to your car, like to find out if adding a couple of hundred horses makes your car quicker... or slower, and by how much. I was pretty curious about that with my car, anyway.

At the end of the day it doesn't really make any difference either way. I'm curious about what seems to be an aversion to drag racing, just like i'm curious about the aversion to putting non-Porsche engines into these cars. Are those typical "Porsche" things, or something else, and why? When I was younger there was a gulf between hot rodders and sports car people, and I never really understood why. Is this that? I'm just curious, not really important in the big picture.

76-914
Right now, I am more concerned with how quickly I can go from 105F to a comfortable 70F! lol-2.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 31 2015, 06:56 PM) *
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 31 2015, 10:16 AM) *
driving.gif

So you're not at all competitive, and never compare your times with your buddies? Ever?

I'm competitive but since i don't have any "buddies" that would be a NO on the time comparing front.

Sure, i'll try to beat other drivers times at an AX, but the improvement comes from the driver, not the car.
shades.gif
DBCooper
So how did putting in the six affect times, before and after? poke.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 31 2015, 07:56 PM) *
So how did putting in the six affect times, before and after? poke.gif

Surprisingly little on tight AX courses without any significant straights.
shades.gif
DBCooper
Boy Andy, it's really hard to fuch with you. Gotta laugh.

[I'm not banned, am I?]

SirAndy
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 31 2015, 08:47 PM) *
[I'm not banned, am I?]

idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.