Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1970 914-6 Tool Kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Skydance
I just purchased a 914-6 all numbers matching nice drivers 1970 914-6 (not for sale)

Please tell me if this is a complete tool kit, if not what is missing?

Thanks,

Dennis

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Tom_T
Hopefully toolguy (Dave W.) or SoCalAndy (Andy T.) will jump in for you on this question. If not, send them a PM or email.

You might also look on p914.com to see if they list it.

Beautiful -6 in Adriatic Blue! drooley.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
TJB/914
Skydance

I am not an expert, but here is a quick check to determine what you have. I don't see both red handle screwdrivers that are rare as hens teeth to find. Some of the other experts will reply.

BTW: Great looking 914-6
Tom
Cairo94507
Adriatic Blue with gas burners! It just does not get any better than that. Terrific car. Congratulations!
TJB/914
Sundance

I just found these up close photo's of some of the tools. These are the real factory things. Hope this helps.
Tom
Johny Blackstain
Not sure but it looks like the green holding screwdriver you have there in your kit needs to go & a red handled phillips should take it's place. I can honestly say that phillips is going to be a bear to find. Maybe clean the bag up a bit, get a new fan belt from Porsche & scrounge around for some old style fuses. Nice car btw! thumb3d.gif
rgalla9146
Nice tool kit, very few issues compared to most.
Missing the 17-19 mm drop forged steel wrench
The 22mm-19 mm double box end wrench
The red handle 10,000 volt phillips
Get rid of the rusty smaller allen
Wash it with mild soap and warm water on a sponge.
Beautiful car too!
Skydance
You guys are priceless, within a couple hours everything looks to be settled!

Thanks again,

Dennis
Hawk
I believe the pliers are no different than the early 911 of that same year and were like these with the polished raised cutting edge. I have seen other pliers but I think in reconstituted kits. I would appreciate hearing from owners of original kits on this detail.
Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Skydance @ Aug 28 2015, 05:24 PM) *

I just purchased a 914-6 all numbers matching nice drivers 1970 914-6 (not for sale)

Please tell me if this is a complete tool kit, if not what is missing?

Thanks,

Dennis

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Great /6 and welcome.png
TJB/914
QUOTE(Hawk @ Aug 29 2015, 07:03 AM) *

I believe the pliers are no different than the early 911 of that same year and were like these with the polished raised cutting edge. I have seen other pliers but I think in reconstituted kits. I would appreciate hearing from owners of original kits on this detail.
Click to view attachment

Hi Dick (Hawk)
Pliers should have the Germany logo on them to be 914-6 correct. Here's a photo showing the markings on this photo. One side is plain & other side has the German factory markings.
Hey, I know yours are correct. shades.gif
Show them that rare rubber thingie hold down strap on your factory 914-6 jack. popcorn[1].gif w00t.gif Ok. I'll show it.
Tom
rick 918-S
Are you guys sure about that double box end wrench? It's not even the same brand tool. I would think Porsche would have contracted with the same tool company for the set. confused24.gif

BTW: Dennis just purchased this car! drooley.gif There are a few bargains left out there. He has been searching for a 6 ever since he bought Sandy's car. Ya, he's hooked.

Dennis, Start a new thread and post the two cars together! aktion035.gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 29 2015, 08:02 AM) *

Are you guys sure about that double box end wrench? It's not even the same brand tool. I would think Porsche would have contracted with the same tool company for the set. confused24.gif

BTW: Dennis just purchased this car! drooley.gif There are a few bargains left out there. He has been searching for a 6 ever since he bought Sandy's car. Ya, he's hooked.

Rick,
I don't have that box end anymore, but when you flip it over the wording is different on each side. The views shown about depend on what side your reading.
I am sure it's the real 914-6 factory box end.
Tom
rgalla9146

No question about the double box wrench.
It's the only one ever supplied.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 29 2015, 07:35 AM) *

Thanks Fellas! smile.gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 29 2015, 08:35 AM) *

I am double sure you are correct.
BTW: I found this photo of the factory markings on the Allen tool & more stuff from my archive file.
Tom
fixer34
Never really paid much attention to the set I got with the car many years ago. It had the special wrenches I needed, so figured I was good. (have a couple open-end around someplace, just can't my hands on them right now). However, some of them are different than what I'm seeing here. Any idea where they might have come from?
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
stugray
I know there is an optional sparkplug wrench that does not have the mushroom end on it. It has ~ 6 holes in the handle so you can turn it with a screwdriver.

Ah.. just noticed one in the pic right above this post.
TJB/914
Help.
I still have this one 6" long Heyco W.Germany--Chrome-Vanadium pry bar left over from a few extra's I gave away.
Can anyone tell me what I have & what model it goes with?? screwy.gif
BTW: It's it worth lots of $$ bucks??
Tom
rgalla9146
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Aug 29 2015, 02:26 PM) *

Help.
I still have this one 6" long Heyco W.Germany--Chrome-Vanadium pry bar left over from a few extra's I gave away.
Tom

Probably from a BMW motorcycle.
Known as a tire spoon, you need a pair
People used to fix flat tires on the road.
Before the cell phone.....
Value ? put it on Ebay.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Aug 29 2015, 11:08 AM) *

Never really paid much attention to the set I got with the car many years ago. It had the special wrenches I needed, so figured I was good. (have a couple open-end around someplace, just can't my hands on them right now). However, some of them are different than what I'm seeing here. Any idea where they might have come from?

Aside from the tool roll there are 4 original 6 tools.
The flat one to hold the fan
The tire iron
The tow hook
The chrome 8mm allen to turn the correct spark plug socket
The other things are a bit random.
TJB/914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 29 2015, 03:01 PM) *

QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Aug 29 2015, 02:26 PM) *

Help.
Tom

Probably from a BMW motorcycle.
Known as a tire spoon, you need a pair
People used to fix flat tires on the road.
Before the cell phone.....
Value ? put it on Ebay.

Thanks,
I sent Eric my spare tire spoon to fix his brake calipers. sheeplove.gif
I'll send him this one so he has a pair then Eric can fix BMW scooter tires as a sideline. happy11.gif lol-2.gif
Tom
bdstone914
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Aug 29 2015, 08:08 AM) *

spark plug tool and rod are 914. Only 10mm allan was part of tool kit. Pliers appear to be VW or 914 tool kit.
bdstone914
Aside from the tool roll there are 4 original 6 tools.
The flat one to hold the fan
The tire iron
The tow hook
The chrome 8mm allen to turn the correct spark plug socket
The other things are a bit random.
[/quote]

The offset lug wrench appears to be 356.
Here is the best reference to a early 911 tool kit which is the same except for the tow hook.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/sh...ls-amp-Contents
bdstone914
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Aug 29 2015, 04:53 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Hi Dick (Hawk)
Pliers should have the Germany logo on them to be 914-6 correct. Here's a photo showing the markings on this photo. One side is plain & other side has the German factory markings.
Show them that rare rubber thingie hold down strap on your factory 914-6 jack. popcorn[1].gif w00t.gif Ok. I'll show it.
Tom

The pliers in the original kit are correct. They have the raised curved polished cutting area. The pliers Tom posted are a later 911 set. Also the correct wrenches were "Dropped Forged Steel" in small font. The 17/19mm Tom posted is a "Select Special Steel " which is later 911. I have found what was supposed to be correct and what could actually have gone in tool kits can be different. Porsche was not as picky as the the CW's are now. I have seen what appear to be original tool kits with mixed type wrenches. I also found DFS drop forged steel wrenches in 928 tool kits when those were supposed to only 69-73 911.

bandjoey
heyco started in the 30's according to Google. But. These are marked W Germany. So theyre probably motorcycle, moped, or scooter. Not an early car. Possibly bicycle?
Hawk
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Aug 29 2015, 03:46 PM) *

QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Aug 29 2015, 04:53 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Hi Dick (Hawk)
Tom

The pliers in the original kit are correct. They have the raised curved polished cutting area. The pliers Tom posted are a later 911 set. Also the correct wrenches were "Dropped Forged Steel" in small font. The 17/19mm Tom posted is a "Select Special Steel " which is later 911. I have found what was supposed to be correct and what could actually have gone in tool kits can be different. Porsche was not as picky as the the CW's are now. I have seen what appear to be original tool kits with mixed type wrenches. I also found DFS drop forged steel wrenches in 928 tool kits when those were supposed to only 69-73 911.

Thanks for confirming that the 914/6 pliers have the raised, polished cutting edge. That's what I got from the 914club site as well.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Aug 29 2015, 03:32 PM) *

spark plug tool and rod are 914. Only 10mm allan was part of tool kit. Pliers appear to be VW or 914 tool kit.

Bruce is right, the chrome allen for the spark plug socket is 10 mm
bdstone914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Aug 29 2015, 02:15 PM) *

heyco started in the 30's according to Google. But. These are marked W Germany. So theyre probably motorcycle, moped, or scooter. Not an early car. Possibly bicycle?

I found a near complete BMW motorcyle tool set at a swap meet for $10. Checked Ebay and they go for $89-$200 for a complete set if you can find a buyer. Not sure how many BMW guys want the tool set to go with the bike.

fixer34
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Aug 29 2015, 02:32 PM) *

I assume you mean 914-4 as opposed to 914-6? Anyone seen the large open end wrench 27mm? It's not something I would have picked up, so I believe it came with the car when I bought it.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Aug 29 2015, 10:03 PM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Aug 29 2015, 02:32 PM) *

I assume you mean 914-4 as opposed to 914-6? Anyone seen the large open end wrench 27mm? It's not something I would have picked up, so I believe it came with the car when I bought it.

The large 27mm is probably from a 4 wrench set (27, 30, 32, 36mm) sold by Stoddard
and others. Intended to equip 911 (and 914 6 !) Porsche guys to deal with oil system plumbing
Also....... there are many German wrench sets.
Most likely you'll see Drop Forged Steel or Special Selected Steel
For 914 6s only DFS is correct, but...... there are two DFS finishes.
The right one for us is very bright and finely machined.
The other looks tumbled, with poor, almost worn-out looking edges.
In the pictures posted by TJB/914 the different finishes can be seen.
Hawk
Back to the correct pliers. According to 914club website, a change occurred sometime in 1971. Therefore the 1970 914/6 should have the unmarked pliers with raised polished cutting edge, like the 911. Here's the text from that site-

Porsche 914/6 and 1969 - 1973 Porsche 911
Factory Tool Kit Pliers

The Most Substantial 914/6 Tool Kit Change
All Porsche 914/6 and 1969-1973 Porsche 911 tool kits were delivered with 160mm combination pliers with cross-hatching on the outside of the handles and a satin-chrome finish. During this period, however, the Porsche tool kit pliers changed while retaining these specific charateristics. Details of this change, which occurred early during the 1971 model year production, are listed below. To further complicate things, a number of similar pliers were sold by the tool manufacturer during this time period, increasing the likelihood of incorrect pliers finding their way into Porsche tool kits.

1969 to early 1971 model year Porsche tool kits were equipped with unmarked combination pliers with raised cutting surfaces. These pliers have a more polished finish than the Hapewe pliers used in subsequent kits. Pliers provided in Porsche 911 tool kits prior to 1969 were extremely similar but had handles with a slight "S" bend.

Mid 1971 - 1973 Porsche 911 and Mid 1971 - 1972 914/6 Pliers
Late 1971 through 1973 Porsche 911 and 914/6 tool kit pliers have the name of the manufacturer, "HAPEWE," embossed in a space in the middle of the cross-hatching, and "WEST GERMANY" embossed on the inside of each handle. The design, size and shape of these pliers are virtually identical to the unmarked, unplated pliers supplied in the four-cylinder Porsche 914 cars.

During the same general time period, Hapewe manufactured a number of similar plier sets with subtle cosmetic alterations. Differences include differences in finish and an inset "WEST GERMANY" embossing as well as sets with a "V" shaped lower hinge section instead of the more rounded, octagonal shape. Examples of these inappropriate variations are pictured for reference.
Hawk
See this website for photo documentation of the correct tools.
http://www.p914.com/p914-6_tools_kit.htm

Here is the correct pliers for 1970 914/6

Click to view attachment
Mike Fitton
Here is my 914-6 tool kit original to my 7/70 late build so it has the '71 pliers that say Hapewe and have the cross pattern on the handles.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
DennisV
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Aug 29 2015, 06:39 PM) *

Here is my 914-6 tool kit original to my 7/70 late build so it has the '71 pliers that say Hapewe and have the cross pattern on the handles.

These photos are super helpful. A couple questions:
  • What is on the opposite side of the wrenches? Are they Hazet?
  • Are the scredrivers marked (i.e. "Klein")

Thanks.
gereed75
The p914 website has been the definitive asset for tool kit info AFAIK (and much other info) the Early S Registry also is a wealth of knowledge on early tool kits, although not as 914 specific

It is p914.org. however just went there and found it not responding very well. Hope you have better luck.

Can anyone confirm p914.org is up and operating correctly?? Maybe just me.
DennisV
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Feb 20 2023, 06:21 AM) *

The p914 website has been the definitive asset for tool kit info AFAIK (and much other info) the Early S Registry also is a wealth of knowledge on early tool kits, although not as 914 specific

It is p914.org. however just went there and found it not responding very well. Hope you have better luck.

Can anyone confirm p914.org is up and operating correctly?? Maybe just me.

I have not had much luck with this site. I was able to get to the toolkit main page via Google cache, but don't see links to any of the detailed tool pages. Too bad. Sounds like it was an excellent resource. I'll try contacting the site owner.

Third question: were the towing eye / hooks gold or silver for 914-6? I've seen both advertised.
rhodyguy
What purpose does P208 serve?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 24 2023, 09:31 AM) *

What purpose does P208 serve?

P208 holds the fan hub to adjust belt tension.
Not a picnic on a 914 6
DennisV
Is there consensus on which version of the spark plug wrench would be correct for a 1970 914-6? Between this forum and the 911s, I seem to have found suggestions for both straight and mushroomed. I guess it's possible that both were original depending on the month?
Click to view attachment
rudedude
My 10/69 has the plug wrench with the Allen wrench
DennisV
QUOTE(rudedude @ Feb 24 2023, 05:02 PM) *

My 10/69 has the plug wrench with the Allen wrench

AH. Didn't register with me at first. So it would be the bottom one in the photo. Thanks.
rgalla9146
Better illustration of the different Drop Forged Steel finishes.
Disregard the goldish color. Those wrenches are from a mechanics set but do show
the different machining.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.