Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil line routing 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
ETMracing
Still working on my conversion, a couple questions.
-Where do most mount their Remote Oil Filter, before front mount cooler, after? Front of car, or back near firewall?

And looking for a oil routing...Front oil sump ->oil filter->engine->front oil cooler->return to sump. ?
stownsen914
I have two filters in my 914/6 racecar. The first is on the scavenge side of the oil system, after the oil is pumped out of the engine and before the front cooler or tank. The filter in my case is mounted in the passenger compartment, but it's a racecar. For a street car you could put it in the engine compartment or in the front trunk. Just make it accessible so it's easy to change the filter element without spilling oil and making a mess. The second filter is in place of the oil cooler on the engine, which is where the factory puts filters on its race engines. If you're running the cooler, you won't need to put a filter there as that one is optional. I built a custom mount for that one, but the 993 had a mount that goes nicely in place of the oil cooler if you decide to go that route (and note that you have to take out the thermostat in the top of the engine if you decide to do that).

Scott
stownsen914
One more thing ... don't put a filter between the tank and the engine. That would be on the suction side of the oil pump. Putting a conventional oil filter on the suction side of the oil pump would almost certainly cause starvation for oil. There are coarse strainers that can go on the suction side, but conventional oil filters should only go on the pressure side of the pump. Note that for 911 engines, you have two places to do this like I noted above - one on the scavenge side of the oil systems and one on the pressure side. in both cases the filter just needs to go after the pump so filters only see pressurized oil.
brant
An age old racing standard is to mount the filter befor the cooler so that you have any chance of saving the cooler.

Normally if you loose a motor you should consider tossing the cooler if there is particulate in the oil. (Possibly lines too) If you catch signs of a tired engine through oil analysis, frequent oil changes, luck. Or if you rebuild at a set schedule you might avoid it.

The filter gives you a better chance
And don't scrimp on the filter quality
Motor rebuilds are expensive
I run 2 filters, but one is the stock oil tank as my vintage club wasn't keen on a front tank
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.