Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: my '75 rehab/recovery thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
Picked up this 1.8 1975 l-jet
That has sat in storage for at least 10 years.
Was used as an ax car, and was stripped down to start restoration and at that point quit.
Had a good structure- I'd say good bones. Jack points and longs are good condition. One spot that needs some fix but the goal here is to just see if it will run first. If I can get it running , i will take everything interior wise off the copper 75 I have, transfer it over to have a nice driver while the copper car gets the long and Jack point repair etc done over the next year. I will need wiring advice for sure!!
Cairo94507
Nice to get a chassis in good shape to transfer stuff into.
DRPHIL914
No rust in the floors or the trunks.
Seats are bad shape, back pad is too and someone tried to dye the white back black.

I have 4 bins of parts. Front hood is rust and dent free but was once yellow and now is black, needs a better repaint.. rear trunk is perfect too and doors are in very nice clean shape. Body side panels are straight, doors fit perfect. Things just need some cleaning up and wiring put back in place and I should be able to drive it .
Top of the list items:- once car runs
- get new back dated h.e. and muffler
- find decent early chrome bumpers
- new dash top and bottom (knee pad)

Decide what I want to move from other car - may take all the rubber , top, etc
- get 5 lug conversion and install and put my set of 16x6" Fuchs on it,
-ddrive and enjoy
- find someone to do rustoration to copper car

DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 29 2015, 05:27 PM) *

Nice to get a chassis in good shape to transfer stuff into.

Yes, it is. I've been looking for a long time.
Saw this up in Columbia SC 2 hours away.
Bill H picked it up, and decided to cull the herd, passed it on to me. Nice to only driveb90 miles to find one!! And on the east coast too!
On good structural shape, no body flex.
Battery was relocated to trunk at some point when the p.o. repaired that side of hell hole.
Over all way better shape than my other car was when I bought it.
Also has rear sport koni adjustible shocks and front as well with really nice aftermarket sway bar. Brakes appear to work good, which is amazing. So I can get it running then I can sort other stuff out as I go.
If the motor has any major issues I will just pull my 2.0 from the other car and do a transplant!! Other car is d-jet the I have fully sorted and transmission was rebuilt already and triad exhaust etc. This car needs new h.e. and exhaust so to be cheap that may be the way I go for now.
Jonnydaub
Let me know if you want to get rid of those rims biggrin.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Jonnydaub @ Aug 29 2015, 05:49 PM) *

Let me know if you want to get rid of those rims biggrin.gif

Yes, I will be passing them on as soon as I acquire the 5 lug conversions stuff
JawjaPorsche
Nice score! beerchug.gif
Jonnydaub
Sweet just shoot me a message when you get your stuff, have fun!
DRPHIL914
Weird muffler cam with it.
Taking offers!
billh1963
The more you pull stuff out of it the better it look. Maybe I should have kept it! biggrin.gif poke.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Aug 29 2015, 07:26 PM) *

The more you pull stuff out of it the better it look. Maybe I should have kept it! biggrin.gif poke.gif

Probably the best one you've had in a while! Don't feel bad, the extra set of h.e. were shot.
914Sixer
That is a stock 75-76 muffler without the cat for the 49 states. I tried to give a whole set of HE's and muffler way with no takers.
DRPHIL914
i want to try and see if the car will run, so i need to sort thru the wiring enough to do that. any Advice? i had read someone put the schematics on a big poster board/s is that correct? if so where can i find that?

or is there is a simple list of wire colors matched wiht what they are? the gauges are disconnected . do i need to reconnect all the items to just see if the engine will start, crank?

- second question is you can see from the photos that the car is pretty clean, panels are straight, only one spot of rust on the car, and the trunks are rust free and straight except for a 1/4" spot on the front trunk of surface rust.
, so the question is is it worth having the car repainted (will i get the money back out of it if i spend $2500 or less for a respray? or just clean it up and put it together.
the end goal is make it a nice driver that i can use while other car is repaired, then it will be resold. - its a 75 1.8, so nothing really special -except i am told, and i have to verify it, but the car was used for auto cross and the p.o. had racing level suspension , elephant racing bushings, etc etc and no rust in floor,jack points, or longs , or trunk s so good bones here - any suggestion s on how much $$ i put into something like paint and what my return is likely to be?

phil
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.