Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Save the day...and maybe your life. What are your tips?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
Hi Guys,

I just had a close call with gas pouring out of my carb onto a hot engine and figured it might be helpful for us all to share our experiences on things that can keep us from being stranded...or maybe even save a life. I'll go first...

1) Have a fire extinguisher in the car and be sure it's readily accessible

2) Carry an emergency kit which includes a small socket set, screwdrivers, electrical tape, heat insulating gloves, spark plugs, distributor rotor and cap. Also great to have spare ignition parts (points or mallory module)

3) Make sure you have a tow hook in the car to prevent damage by rookie tow drivers.

4) Always have a cell phone and charger.

5) can of fix-a-flat and/or spare with jack

Your turn!
rhodyguy
A screwdriver for the idle jet holders and other tasks.

I lost a plug on one of the webers too. Gas smell puts it lightly. I turned the key to the off position, stopped as quick as I could, grabbed my wallet and got out of the car. Walked away and expecting it to catch fire. Waited. After it didn't blow up I opened the lid and fuel was everywhere. It was the dr side so the fuel had puddled in the depression forward of the relay board. Tore up a sweatshirt to mop up with. And waited. Found the plug straight across on the tin and tapped it in with the screwdriver handle. Waited. Waited....powered the pump just for a second. Drove home. I was 1/2 mile from home and 2 miles from the freeway on ramp. Had a guy local to me that knows webers install 4 NEW plugs. One other plug was also out a 'bit'. Folks running IDFs might want to consider checking said plugs.
Mike Bellis
#1 Don't buy a 914. first.gif
whatabout1
If the guy in the car next to you, that is also stuck in freeway grid lock,
Honks and Yells "Your car is pouring out gasoline!!"

Turn it off and push it to the curb !!!

Then fix the issue !!
stugray
#1 in MY book:
DO NOT use an incandescent worklight to work under a car while you disconnect the line from the (assumed empty) fuel tank.

I got covered in gas once doing just that and looked over to see gas dripping ALL AROUND the hot bulb but never dripped ON IT.

I am positive that getting out from under that car was the fastest my body has ever moved.

And of course - no fire extinguisher within sight...
Nothing caught fire, but it was a miracle.

#2 do NOT reach into a tight space with a impact wrench with your finger on the trigger.
Stuck my hand in like that once, socket went over the bolt/nut and and my finger hit the trigger before I was ready.

When an impact smashes your fingers it DOES NOT DO IT JUST ONCE.
Johny Blackstain
I like having a spigot in or just outside the garage. Water is much cleaner than a fire extinguisher & usually doesn't run out either. When working on anything involving fuel, I unwind the hose & turn it on to have it ready, before tweaking. Water will also evaporate off an engine whereas the white powder from an extinguisher is a serious "pita" to clean up.
jim_hoyland
My safety tip is to always use jack stands, even if it'll just take a second...
After reading this thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;hl=*jackstand

I always have two at the ready and slide them under the car before getting under myself... smile.gif
ThePaintedMan
Kevin has good advice. All Weber lead plugs should be periodically checked, re-peened, and if possible, JB-welded over to keep them from backing out. On a racecar, it's an absolute necessity.

Best advice I know of, if you do do break down, try your damnedest to make sure it's in a relatively safe place. If it's a flat, drive it for as long as necessary to get off of the shoulder. If you MUST work on the car on the side of the road, keep your head on a swivel. I never, ever turn my back to oncoming traffic if I can avoid it.
mbseto
Both hands on the grinder, small parts get clamped. These are fresh in my mind. :-(

Eye and ear protection all the time, respirator when doing abrasive stuff. Chock the wheels, solid block of wood/concrete/steel, somewhere under the frame when I'm under it.
barefoot
With the car elevated with blocking under the wheels and the CV joints dis-connected, MAKE SURE the weels cannot roll fore or aft. Ask me how i know.
6freak
make sure your cars in good working order before you leave....maybe a HI-VIZ reflective vest in the trunk (your choice of which truck hahaha) and i have a road flare in the tool bag along with throttle cable and clutch cable and fuel pump and a extra purmatune and of course some required tools along with the stock tool kit
safe travels smile.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(mbseto @ Aug 31 2015, 10:17 AM) *

Both hands on the grinder, small parts get clamped. These are fresh in my mind. :-(

Eye and ear protection all the time, respirator when doing abrasive stuff. Chock the wheels, solid block of wood/concrete/steel, somewhere under the frame when I'm under it.

agree.gif

Welding gear always. Don't be like those macho morons on the reality car shows that tack and weld without gloves, sleeves and sometimes without long pans. Skin cancer is no joke and can start the first time you do it. Sneaky disease can pop up later in life and kill you dead. A friend's brother used to tack without gloves at work. Got a sore/small burn that wouldn't heal. Took the finger, then the hand, then the arm to the shoulder then his life. 30 years old with little kids and a wife.
ConeDodger
Always keep condoms in your pocket. blink.gif
MJHanna
Keep away from Alfa Romeo's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX8r5ZyHvGw
And wear your saftey stuff. driving-girl.gif cheer.gif piratenanner.gif
Briby37
I have a multi-tool and some zip ties (metal) in addition to a few other things. Oh, and AAA card readily available.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Briby37 @ Aug 31 2015, 11:35 AM) *

I have a multi-tool and some zip ties (metal) in addition to a few other things. Oh, and AAA card readily available.

agree.gif
AAA
Mark Henry
Never agree with your wife when she says her ass is getting fat.
Tedman5
Had the same thing happen with my old Dellortos. Could have sworn the thing was gonna burst into flames any second. Douched it down with bottles of water I had readily available to dilute the gasoline. Fire ext in hand. Called AAA and towed home to assess properly vs road side fix em up. Cracked carb body lead to vapor lock. Scary situation at the top of a 8% grade stop sign. Lol
New Webers was my remedy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.