Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Antenna? Hirschmann?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cairo94507
Hello everyone - I need to find an electric antenna for my Six - I remember both my other Sixes had Hirschmann antennas. I want an electric one so I can leave it down unless I actually turn on the radio, instead of streaming music from my iPhone. I was thinking chrome to keep the stock appearance. Any thoughts or issues I should be aware of?
SLITS
With most I have seen, the motor section will not fit in the position stock antennas are in.
TheCabinetmaker
I have a metra brand. Under 45 iirc. Fits great in the wheel well, not visible, and has worked for 4 years with no problem. Installed it with supplied hardware. Took about an hour.
Mike Bellis
I have an electric Hirschmann and it fits just fine. I use a toggle switch to keep it off unless I need it.
andys
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Aug 30 2015, 04:25 PM) *

I have an electric Hirschmann and it fits just fine. I use a toggle switch to keep it off unless I need it.

Yup, same setup on mine when I bought the car 7 years ago.

Andys
boxsterfan
When my car is complete, I'll be having the antennae hole filled in and find an alternate hidden antennae that goes under the dash. Or I won't listen to the radio. Or I will install a stereo and just listen to an iPod. Or just listen to internet music (spotify, etc...) on my phone hooked into stereo.
Cairo94507
I went through that whole fill the hole thought process but ultimately decided to leave the antenna hole and use it as my car came with a radio when new. Though I am making some slight improvements to the car, as far as appearance goes I am trying to remain pretty close to stock- pretty close.

Mike B. and Andys - what Hirschmann do you have in your cars? Is it a standard mast or one of Hirschmann's shorty masts? I had the shorty antennas on my last two Sixes.
Tom_T
One thing to know is that the usual position for dealer installed & always on factory installed - manual on L/driver & electric/power was on R/passenger side.

I think that was because the lines from the fuel anti-smog's charcoal cannister over the tank up front & back to the engine on 70-74's took up room on the L wheel wheel.

I'm pretty sure there is one of the Hirschman's that fit, as noted above.

Try Woody's on evilbay & they also have the hidden antennas, a slick 3x6x1"-ish speaker your can put under or behind the seats (loose) for 4-speaker without hacks, & the hidden adapter to use on your vintage AM/FM for USB/i-Stuff/3.5mm etc.

http://stores.ebay.com/Woodys-Custom-Shop

They also have a brick-&-mortor shop here in Costa Mesa OC CA & usually have a booth at the big March Porsche Swap Meet, so they're on the up-n-up.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
porschetub
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 31 2015, 10:35 AM) *

With most I have seen, the motor section will not fit in the position stock antennas are in.

Could be, I fitted a Harada (japanese exact copy)and it took up a lot of room,if you angle it back towards the screen it could hit the tyre or very close,I pulled mine out and fitted a manual Hirschman because it was too heavy but it will fit if standing perfectly vertical as far as I could see.
Cairo94507
So, antenna is going to go into the original location, driver's front fender. I guess I will look for an electric, chrome, Hirschmann.
Mike Bellis
Mine is the tall mast. Make sure you secure the bottom with a brace to keep it steady and prevent paint flexing on the top.
JmuRiz
I have an antenna I removed from my car before Scotty painted it. I'll check to see the brand etc, but it worked just fine on my car. Raised up when the radio was powered on and down when it turned off. Might not be nice enough for a fancy 6 like yours. I'll find it and get some pictures to you though.

May need to fab a bracket to make it look better than the galv holed pipe-strapping used on mine.
Cairo94507
Thanks for the picture offer. My Six is hopefully going to start moving along at a good clip here in about another week. Scotty tells me when he gets back on it, next week hopefully, he will be making significant progress as almost all of the fabrication is done.

As for how nice it is....well, we will see. I just can't wait until it is all in primer and ready for color to go on.

This project has taken longer than I hoped. Part of that is on me but Scott is just a busy dude with cars coming into the shop. I am starting to get worried that once it is done I may not be able to drive it for to long before the DMV yanks my license..... being an older dude and all.
Cairo94507
So I spoke with a radio shop selling Hirschmann antennas and the original Bosch Autoset semi-automatic antenna from the 70's for about $250.00. However they were unable to tell me if it would fit in the fender of a 914..... really?

So, does anyone have a new Hirschmann electric in their 914? If so, does it have a switch to allow you to leave the mast down when streaming music from another device? The radio shop told me these are considered semi-auto antennas and are no longer available unless I go with a Bosch antenna for $250 from the 70's, which they have brand new. That apparently comes with a switch- but again, they could not say if it would first in the 914 fender.

Any help?
Thanks,
Michael
r_towle
http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/Hirsc...ast-p16873.html

This is in my 911 with a toggle switch so it won't hit the lift, again... headbang.gif
Cairo94507
Holy Moly! $375 for an antenna? (thanks for the link BTW biggrin.gif )
Mike Bellis
$80 http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Hirschmann-HIT...d71&vxp=mtr

Just use a full auto and put a switch on the switched power lead. Simple!
Cairo94507
Mike- These are the guys I spoke with who told me they did not believe the Hirschmann would fit and recommended the Bosch for $250. OK, I am going to go with this and hope it fits. I actually think it will. The switch should solve the problem too. Thanks Mike.
Michael
Johny Blackstain
SOT- does anyone make the 916 (integrated windshield) antenna?
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 8 2015, 08:14 PM) *

SOT- does anyone make the 916 (integrated windshield) antenna?

Many moons ago I bought one like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/44-UA200-UNIVERSAL...W-/121160569260
IPB Image
I plan on installing it above my mirror mount.

Nothing as fancy as a wire in the glass though.
Cairo94507
OK - I bought the new model Hirschmann electric antenna. Chrome mast. $95 all in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.