Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spark Plug Wires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Alphaogre
Two things I noticed when changing my plugs to NGK Spark Plugs.

1) I noticed that when I went to put on the spark plug wires on to my new NGK pugs, the head of the plug is much larger then the old wire port? I also noticed the inner part of the spark plug is threaded, is there an adapter that screws in for smaller wire ports?

2) I also noticed while I had everything apart on of my spark plug wire ports was broken (the plastic end that connects to the spark plug)... headbang.gif So now I have to buy a new kit anyway...

- Do the NGK plugs have a certain head size I should look for in getting a new spark plug wire kit? Or just look for a "standard" wire kit and get the adapter?

- Also, I am seeing wire kits anywhere from around $30 to $100. If you don't have a full MSD wire set up and built motor, would you notice the difference in spark plug wires between the median range wires or higher end wires?

Thanks in advance...
injunmort
plug wire ends are pretty standard, they either take the cap with top of the plug on or if smaller, unscrew the top parts of the plug and push cap onto threaded end. I last used a set of behr wires from partsgeek with no complaints. the caps take the plug with the top of the plugs ubscrewed.
TheCabinetmaker
My last set of beru plug wires came with 6 gold caps to screw on the plugs. The wire end had the appropriate female end to use with the caps. If you have the old style wires, just unscrew the caps and throw them away.
boxsterfan
I got the magnecor wires from Pelican. high quality. works well. Looks great. Fits perfect.
t collins
I just put on a set of Clewett Engineering 8mm wires that are very nice. Available from the bird.
Alphaogre
The tops of these don't seem the screw off. This is for a 914-4 BTW...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
porschetub
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Aug 31 2015, 04:15 PM) *

The tops of these don't seem the screw off. This is for a 914-4 BTW...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Yep they do,grab them with a set of pliers on the grippy bit and you are there,Bosch make a good set of silicone leads for a great price,go for it.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 31 2015, 03:50 AM) *

Yep they do,grab them with a set of pliers on the grippy bit and you are there,Bosch make a good set of silicone leads for a great price, go for it.

agree.gif I can see the threads...

But don't agree on the bosch plug wires...I think they suck and are too short.
Dave_Darling
I'm not a big fan of the Bosch wires, either. But they do fit on 1.7s and 1.8s with a little convincing. They don't fit on the 2.0 motors, no matter how much you try to stretch them. If you get a set for the 912, that might fit on the 2.0 one? Not sure.

I use Beru wires for my 2.0.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.