Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restoring an original 914-6 need help with engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
VZ935
I have decided to split the case on my original 914-6 engine and would like some advice on how to get a proper finish on the case. I want it to look like it did when it left the factory.

Is there something I can use or a process I can follow that will bring the engine case to an original finish ? Or do I just send everything to Ollie's and let them do their thing?

Any information would be appreciated .
scotty b
It looks clean of crud, so find a shop with a large tumbler ( steel shot, plastic bead etc ) that will run the case in it. Most of the places that do ceramic coating will have one as that makes the "chrome" ceramic look shinier. You don't want it chrome looking, but a nice even al. finish. You just need to polish off the growth and get a smooth finish
McMark
If you're really looking for 'from the factory', polishing of any sort won't do it. Media blasting will get close if you use a SUPER soft grit and a lot of time (fine soda). Dipping of some sort might be the best option, but you would need to find someone who knows exactly what they're doing because serious case damage could occur if you're not careful. But dipping would give you the most even finish.

Basically you're looking for an even texture across the whole part. Polishing won't get into the nooks and crannies, and you either leave sanding scratches or polish to a mirror finish. Neither of those are technically correct.

The case on the left was soda blasted.
gms
Henkel Alodine 598970 Magnesium Treatment
gereed75
QUOTE(VZ935 @ Aug 30 2015, 08:43 PM) *

I have decided to split the case on my original 914-6 engine and would like some advice on how to get a proper finish on the case. I want it to look like it did when it left the factory.

Is there something I can use or a process I can follow that will bring the engine case to an original finish ? Or do I just send everything to Ollie's and let them do their thing?

Any information would be appreciated .

I think you should talk with Henry at Supertech. He knows how to do it all from mild to wild, budget or perfect resto. Here is an example http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-...pm-2-valve.html
rgalla9146
Your case is magnesium.
Halibrand and (real) Minilite wheels were magnesium and were treated with a preservative wash. I cannot remember the name right now but it was a Dow product.
I'll bet the product Glenn suggested is the German version.
Do not blast with anything other than solvents or hot water.
Ask the Porsche concours restoration experts on Pelican, someone there should know.

OU8AVW
Gibbs spray lube the case after it's clean. This stuff soaks in and give a beautiful finish and brings out the marbling in the magnesium.

Click to view attachment
gms
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Sep 8 2015, 10:44 AM) *

Gibbs spray lube the case after it's clean. This stuff soaks in and give a beautiful finish and brings out the marbling in the magnesium.

Click to view attachment

I have seen that and wondered how well it works, do you have pix?
VZ935
Thank you for all the advice everyone .

I thought about sending everything to Ollie's Machine shop as they do a media tumble but it sounds like that is not the way to go.

I have had that process done on a few of my 935 cases but they are aluminum and I have no point of reference on a mag case so glad I asked
VZ935
QUOTE(gms @ Sep 4 2015, 09:27 AM) *

Glenn
Any suggestion as to where to buy the kit from? My search came back with limited results.

Peashooter
I had Ollie's tumble the case on my 2.7 and it came out great. Smooth, not shiny.
altitude411
QUOTE(VZ935 @ Sep 12 2015, 12:37 AM) *

Glenn
Any suggestion as to where to buy the kit from? My search came back with limited results.

I have not done business with these people or used this product but I found this and would be interested in the results should you decide to go with this application...
http://www.skygeek.com/henkel-598970-alodi...atment-kit.html
TJB/914
QUOTE(VZ935 @ Sep 12 2015, 02:37 AM) *

Glenn

VZ935
A long time ago when I restored my 914 I used a company in Indianapolis IN that was doing engine & transmissions castings restoration for the 356 guys to clean and bring the finish like it came out of the casting mold. I just can't remember the process or name but check with the 356 guys for advice or suggestions.
I was happy with the results and my engn & trans still look factory fresh.
The only thing I remember it was some kind of dipping process to a fresh factory finish.
Ask the 356 guys.
Tom
gms
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Oct 4 2015, 08:50 PM) *

QUOTE(VZ935 @ Sep 12 2015, 02:37 AM) *

Glenn

VZ935
A long time ago when I restored my 914 I used a company in Indianapolis IN that was doing engine & transmissions castings restoration for the 356 guys to clean and bring the finish like it came out of the casting mold. I just can't remember the process or name but check with the 356 guys for advice or suggestions.
I was happy with the results and my engn & trans still look factory fresh.
The only thing I remember it was some kind of dipping process to a fresh factory finish.
Ask the 356 guys.
Tom

He is asking about a magnesium case (not aluminum)
jd74914
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Oct 4 2015, 10:38 AM) *

I have not done business with these people or used this product but I found this and would be interested in the results should you decide to go with this application...
http://www.skygeek.com/henkel-598970-alodi...atment-kit.html

I have not used the product (though I have wanted to on magnesium suspension parts), but have bought a lot of wire, etc. from Skygeek and always been happy. smile.gif
VZ935
I know it has been a while since I last posted. In the end I called the guys at Ollie's who have been doing the work on all my 935/962 cases and talked to them about the 914-6 case. I ended up sending it to them to be checked out and then cleaned and tumbled.

Here are the results

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Well heck, that looks very nice. smilie_pokal.gif
carr914
Nice Van!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.