Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiring/I've given up...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
itchybro
P0 - 1
Itchy y Slime - 0

I've pretty much decided to toss in the towel on the multi fusebox fiasco. The previous owner has rendered the harness/fuse block "unmappable" to us mere mortals. My pal and I have spent approximately 72 perfectly good weekend hours over the past three weeks trying to come to grips with it. (It's been pretty well documented on pelican but, we have uncovered more "fiasco" than I feel is worth the time.

Here's my situation: I've got an opportunity to nab a 74 parts car that is intact and none of the wiring has been messed with. (the motor is a 2.0 carb'd replacement but apparently the FI wiring for the 1.8 is still there and unmolested)

IS it possible to plug and play the front harness?

I've been studying the Bowelsby wiring harness guide and it looks like it should be fairly pain free. (I plan to attempt to pretty much "transplant" EVERYTHING from the the Dash of the donor car, including the steering column as the wiper switch seems to be broken in mine)

Will I need to transplant the Fuel pump to the front under the tank?

PLEASE chime in.

My pelican thread

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...3-1-7-help.html

rhodyguy
The broken piece of particle board used to mount that fuse panel is priceless. dry.gif
itchybro
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 31 2015, 09:31 AM) *

The broken piece of particle board used to mount that fuse panel is priceless. dry.gif

I termed that "space age Masonite".

rick 918-S
I had a forensic engineer refer to it as "Was wood"
Chris H.
Holy fack. Good idea to start over with that mess!

Jeff Bowlsby is a regular here as well, and his comments would be the ones you'd want to consider. Moving the fuel pump up front is a pretty common "upgrade", so if your wiring harness is already set up for it it's not a bad idea. There might be instructions on Pelican...also think a member recently did it here.

What year car are we transplanting the harness into? And what year harness is it? Lost on 72 vs 74 vs 76.
JeffBowlsby
I have only loosely followed your situation but consider this:

Can only 'recommend' that you find a 1973 chassis harness for your 1973 car. The 1974 will work if you port over all the other items you mention, but then you have another frankenstein 914 mishmash of parts. It will definitely affect your resale value. If that is not important to you, then proceed.

The chassis harness is one piece - there is not 'front harness'.

The chassis harness only serves the main 914 purposes. the fuel injection harness and ignition and alternator harnesses, all are secondary harnesses that mate to the chassis harness at the relay board - so a 1.8L/2.0L 914 has the identically same chassis harness.

The 1973 and 1974 chassis harnesses in factory stock form locate the fuel pump in the engine bay. It did not relocate until the 1975-76 cars. I don't consider a relocated fuel p[ump and 'upgrade' as much as a 'modification' that may be useful, if you live in a hotter climate. Here in the SF bay area, its generally not a problem.
itchybro
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 31 2015, 11:47 AM) *

I have only loosely followed your situation but consider this:

Can only 'recommend' that you find a 1973 chassis harness for your 1973 car. The 1974 will work if you port over all the other items you mention, but then you have another frankenstein 914 mishmash of parts. It will definitely affect your resale value. If that is not important to you, then proceed.

Jeff, this is INDEED what I hoping to hear.

My example of the car is a bit of a mess. There are only TWO original knobs on the dash. The "previous idiot" has tapped into wires and the headlight switch to the point that it's impossible to map out the TWENTY FOUR remaking fuses. (I figured out the L/R high beam/low locations)

The heat/ventilation system has been COMPLETELY removed and needs to be restored among other disasters. (headlight motors and wipers on toggle switches. "JC Whitney fever dream 'bespoke' console" had switches that controlled the fog lights and the "internal cabin light" - large-ish work lamp zip tied under the dash)

So… Yes, I just want to make the car work, and look, pretty close to what it's supposed to be. IF I can accomplish these tasks it will be MUCH less "Frankenstein" than it's current state.

Last question:

So, if indeed I "port over" everything I mention, I CAN leave the rear FI harness - that works perfectly well- UNmolested? (Bosch D-Jet)

Thanks SO much for sharing the "chart" of harnesses with me previously!
JeffBowlsby
Yep. Just plug the 14 pin connector from the chassis harness, and the FI, Ignition and Alternator harnesses into the relay board. Factory stock configuration - plug N play.
Root_Werks
Don't forget there are lots of little differences between 73 and 74. Example, the door swithces on a 73 are single blade and large, the 74's are tiny and multiple.

Before you know it, you're hacking a good harness to make it work or sourcing a bunch of little parts from later 914's.
porschetub
QUOTE(itchybro @ Sep 1 2015, 01:26 AM) *

P0 - 1
Itchy y Slime - 0

I've pretty much decided to toss in the towel on the multi fusebox fiasco. The previous owner has rendered the harness/fuse block "unmappable" to us mere mortals. My pal and I have spent approximately 72 perfectly good weekend hours over the past three weeks trying to come to grips with it. (It's been pretty well documented on pelican but, we have uncovered more "fiasco" than I feel is worth the time.

Here's my situation: I've got an opportunity to nab a 74 parts car that is intact and none of the wiring has been messed with. (the motor is a 2.0 carb'd replacement but apparently the FI wiring for the 1.8 is still there and unmolested)

IS it possible to plug and play the front harness?

I've been studying the Bowelsby wiring harness guide and it looks like it should be fairly pain free. (I plan to attempt to pretty much "transplant" EVERYTHING from the the Dash of the donor car, including the steering column as the wiper switch seems to be broken in mine)

Will I need to transplant the Fuel pump to the front under the tank?

PLEASE chime in.

My pelican thread

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...3-1-7-help.html

As you know i have been following your grief on Pelican,I feel for you man,sorry to say but I think you are making a good decision going to a serviceable replacement loom.
Good luck my friend beer.gif .
itchybro

[/quote]
As you know i have been following your grief on Pelican,I feel for you man,sorry to say but I think you are making a good decision going to a serviceable replacement loom.
Good luck my friend beer.gif .
[/quote]

Thanks Tub!

I'll be updating the thread as I "follow my bliss" to the poorhouse!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.