Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiberglass bumpers for a '75
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
considering not putting the BUB s back on my black '75 project car-- what do you recommend for options? back date chrome, or just the fiberglass versions of the GT for front? who makes them , which ones have best quality?
MSHax
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Sep 2 2015, 08:34 AM) *

considering not putting the BUB s back on my black '75 project car-- what do you recommend for options? back date chrome, or just the fiberglass versions of the GT for front? who makes them , which ones have best quality?

This is a topic I've been wrestling with for a couple weeks now. I have nice chrome bumpers, but my rear rubber topper looks pretty bad. I was thinking of switching out to fiberglass and selling my chrome bumpers. I found some great deals online but have reservations about buying from someone who has a history of slow shipping and none responsive communication.
stevegm
Not to hijack the thread. But, I have a nice fiberglass front bumper, that I will list for sale soon.
MSHax
QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 2 2015, 01:41 PM) *

Not to hijack the thread. But, I have a nice fiberglass front bumper, that I will list for sale soon.

That's not hijacking, that's providing options! tongue.gif
PM sent
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 2 2015, 04:41 PM) *

That's o.k. I am thinking about trying this but also wanted to know if anyone regrets making that change. I personally like the early chrome bumper look. I know Mark makes the topper replacements . Just worried about getting something that I don't know will fit right. I like the look of the chrome ones on a black 914.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(MSHax @ Sep 2 2015, 04:44 PM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 2 2015, 01:41 PM) *

That's not hijacking, that's providing options! tongue.gif
PM sent

It's only hijacking if I don't get first dibs poke.gif
porschetub
Fair comment about the chrome ones a black car,I have black painted ones on my silver 74 and the look great....but on a black car ?
jim_hoyland
See: http://www.gettydesign.com/914_bodywork.php
GeorgeRud
I had good luck with Getty Design. They still took some tweaking too fit right, but we're nicely finished and shipped in a reasonable time.
Steve
I got mine from Automotion 20+ years ago. The fitment was poor but they look great on my silver 75. Check my blog for pictures. I am also in the process of switching to chrome and 914rubber bumper tops.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 3 2015, 11:55 AM) *

I got mine from Automotion 20+ years ago. The fitment was poor but they look great on my silver 75. Check my blog for pictures. I am also in the process of switching to chrome and 914rubber bumper tops.

I am leaning that way as well, rather than the fiberglass.
AZ914
I think the early bumpers look great, weigh about 1/4 of the BUBs and offer different options (chrome/black/painted).

I never regretted doing mine. However, as the prices of 914s are going up, if you already have a stock ride, it may make sense to keep it stock.. I don't know.. just a thought.
jim_hoyland
The early bumpers really can look great ! However you may want to consider another thing; you get the chrome bumpers installed and some idiot bCks into you car. A small tap is going to put a dong in the bumper and it's gonna cost you some more $
Just a thought $.02
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 3 2015, 01:45 PM) *

The early bumpers really can look great ! However you may want to consider another thing; you get the chrome bumpers installed and some idiot bCks into you car. A small tap is going to put a dong in the bumper and it's gonna cost you some more $
Just a thought $.02

So the bumper guards should be left on then, right. Nit as pretty but protection.
TheCabinetmaker
A 5mph bump on a rubber tit will dent/bend the bumper behind it.
brooks944
Considering the same, will be watching this thread!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Sep 3 2015, 02:30 PM) *

A 5mph bump on a rubber tit will dent/bend the bumper behind it.

As my dad used to say "that's why I have insurance" happy11.gif
Root_Werks
I’ve certainly ruined enough late model 914’s by “back-dating” bumpers. Cars are too old, rare and collectable to be modifying like that unless it’s already a basket case. My vote would be to leave the BUB’s on, they look better anyway.

If you do throw FG bumpers on (another mistake), make sure to leave the metal strip on the front of the trunk alone. The one that supports the rubber top of the BUB. It works well for supporting the top of the FG bumper as well.
PThompson509
Sean Molloy replaced my heavy rubber bumpers with the lightweight fiberglass bumpers. The version I've got has an odd gap on the rear, but the newer versions take care of that gap.

Sean - who made them? Inquiring minds (assuming someone on 914world has a mind) wanna know! popcorn[1].gif
bcheney
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 3 2015, 04:05 PM) *

I’ve certainly ruined enough late model 914’s by “back-dating” bumpers. Cars are too old, rare and collectable to be modifying like that unless it’s already a basket case. My vote would be to leave the BUB’s on, they look better anyway.

If you do throw FG bumpers on (another mistake), make sure to leave the metal strip on the front of the trunk alone. The one that supports the rubber top of the BUB. It works well for supporting the top of the FG bumper as well.

I agree...the big bumpers are cool and functional. Not popular with many 914 guys but you know what they say about opinions...The process to convert is not as easy as some people lead others to believe. It does take some time, talent and these days...quite a bit of money. Here a great post that give you step by step instructions along with pictures on how to complete the conversion on you own.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=225743

Good luck with your decision.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.