Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can you slim jim an early door?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Got a lead on a car that they lost the keys about 4 years ago. The doors are locked on it and nobody has a key. Can you use a slimjim on the doors? Its a 1970.
JoeSharp
Scott: Just looked at a door. It looks pertty tough. I looked at manipulating the latch but there no holes, and it looked like a long study. confused24.gif I once broke into my K-G with a wier from across the interior, by pulling on the lock and door latch.
biggrin.gif Joe
tat2dphreak
I can't remember how different the '70 is from the '72... but a '72 is not even that hard...

if nothing else though you may be able to get a wire over the window and pull the handle...
TravisNeff
I've done the coathanger method in the past. I also called a locksmith to come on site and make me a key, $50, but that was about 15 years ago.
Aaron Cox
scott. when and where. Ive done this before. Coathanger is easy to get tp the targa latches.... take off top. or the coathanger to door handle...

take your pic

BTW: PM sent
Type 4
Cut the roof instead of breaking the glass.
horizontally-opposed
I dunno, I would go for the slim jim approach if others can make it work.

I was in a hurry once, though, and locked myself out. I needed to sign a contract. Called Jim at EASY and he said break the quarter glass, not the roll-up window. Easy to replace in five minutes or so. And cheap, too...

That said, I was vacuuming glass shards FOREVER! headbang.gif

pete
skline
Well, the trick I have found to work the best if I have to go that route would be to duct tape the entire quarter window and then smak it with a hammer, that way the glass all stays in one place. It has worked in the past, I will have to check if I have a spare glass before I do that though. But it sounds like that would be the best and fastest way to do it. Thanks all.
JoeSharp
I got you covered on the glass Scott.
biggrin.gif Joe
Demick
I've found that the locks on the 914 are usually well worn, and not great for security. Multiple times I have used various items to pick the lock. If you have another set of 914 keys, use those. Wiggle this way and that and up and down. If it won't go, then get a piece of metal about the thickness of the key, and cut it down to about the same size as a key - but cut it to make a 'thin' key (thin from a lock tumbler point of view). Use that in the lock. I can usually pick a 914 lock in under 10 minutes. The fact that they are mostly heavily worn makes a huge difference.

Most importantly, figure out which way opens the lock. It does no good to try and pick a lock and rotate it to the 'lock' position because you have to start all over again to get the key to rotate to the unlock position.

Demick
skline
Well, everyone knows that, or should. You turn it to the left to unlock and right to lock. I wouldnt know on my truck as I have never used the key on it. Everything is remote nowadays.
markb
Coathanger to opposite door handle works for me.
Joe Bob
Any 914 owner without a AAA card is flat out not thinking....I use EVERY tow every year...even the ones on the wife's card.....and at least two key responses....let someone ELSE sweat it....especially if they know what they are doing.... dry.gif
Demick
QUOTE (skline @ Mar 3 2005, 01:19 PM)
Well, everyone knows that, or should. You turn it to the left to unlock and right to lock. I wouldnt know on my truck as I have never used the key on it. Everything is remote nowadays.

Ummm Scott. I think that only applies to the drivers side door. Passenger side is opposite.

Demick
rhilgers
Yes, you can use the slim jim. Not on the door though..

Push the glass down slightly with your palms.

Shake the top... yada yada.

Slip the slim jim through the top of the window.

Use the hook on the slim jim to catch a front targa latch and pull.
Once one is off the rest is easier.

Im 2 for 2 on this method. Now I have good locks wink.gif

-Rich Hilgersom
scotty b
Put your fist through the roof and feel around smash.gif laugh.gif
MattR
QUOTE (Type 4 @ Mar 3 2005, 12:25 PM)
Cut the roof instead of breaking the glass.

Sunroof??? cool.gif
Markeydoo
Scott
I just push button number 1 for the drivers door or button number 2 for the passenger door and they pop open on my car!!!

Brando
So Markey what do you do if someone steals your battery, or it dies?
Series9
QUOTE (Markeydoo @ Mar 3 2005, 06:52 PM)
Scott
I just push button number 1 for the drivers door or button number 2 for the passenger door and they pop open on my car!!!

I've never seen shaved door handles on a 914 before. Cool. smile.gif
Dr Evil
Scott,
I have a rear window if you wanna brake the one out of the car.
MattR
I had the opportunity to see Markeydoo's car in person. Its a friggen work of art. The color isnt really captured in photos... its really sweet. Go to the 914 club BBQ on the second and maybe you'll see it biggrin.gif
GWN7
I just want to know how you would use these to open a car door..... wink.gif

BTW...Nice looking car Markeydoo

ablose58
Actually you can slim jim these doors w/relative ease ,ask me I know, like a bonehead I locked my keys in cause I was in a hurry as usual and after the door closed ,well you can guess what I said next, but any who it can be done fairly easy aktion035.gif
bd1308
well the latches are actuated by those paddle things in the door. why coudlnt someone make a L-shaped flat bar (thin) to put in the window, slip it behind the door latch cam and push those flapper things?
iamchappy
"DONT BREAK YOUR WINDOW"

The coat hanger has work for me many, many times.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.