Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rough driving engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
barringtonpro
Starting this summer, i developed a cloged idle circut in my Weber 40s. No big deal i cleaned them and they were fine. 50miles later, problem comes back. This went on 12 times, each time with my going deeper into the cleaning.

Finally, now the Webers do not want to clean. After having a long think, and much reading on the www I have come to a conclusion that my system, the tank and line are infected with some sort of clear yellow jelly. I cleaned both but it does not solve the problem. i even have a series of 2micron fuel filters.

I have never really found any dirt but i have found a very thin coating of clear
jelly in the Weber fuel bowl. It accumulated to varying degre, between the cleanings.

Sometimes I would not see much at all other times i had to swab out the tank and bowls, to remove this thin coating.

In reading i have found this to be a problem in boating applications and the use of alcohol fuel. It may be a fuel infection of alga.

I was wondering if someone had a run in with this problem and could please enlighten me on what to do. At this point it would be nice to know that someone else had the same problem.

Thank you
Frank aka barringtonpro
barringtonpro
here's a jpeg of the tiny little slim ballsClick to view attachment
rhodyguy
Drain the fuel tank ( you can do this with the existing pump) with a length of Hose and a catch can. I would plan on a new self regulated rotary fuel pump. remove, inspect and clean the fuel tank. replace the filter sock and new proper gaskets in the bottom of the tank. Flush the fuel lines in the tunnel or replace with stainless steel ones. Replace ALL of the soft fuel lines with modern fuel appropriate ratings. Replace fuel filter, it should be installed in prior or upstream from the pump. Buy a weber manual. At a minimum the idle jet circuitry is probably fouled. Study the manual.
barringtonpro
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 2 2015, 06:06 PM) *

Drain the fuel tank ( you can do this with the existing pump) with a length of Hose and a catch can. I would plan on a new self regulated rotary fuel pump. remove, inspect and clean the fuel tank. replace the filter sock and new proper gaskets in the bottom of the tank. Flush the fuel lines in the tunnel or replace with stainless steel ones. Replace ALL of the soft fuel lines with modern fuel appropriate ratings. Replace fuel filter, it should be installed in prior or upstream from the pump. Buy a weber manual. At a minimum the idle jet circuitry is probably fouled. Study the manual.

Well, I did remove the tank, drained, then swab the inner lining with lint free tallows then rinsed with fresh gas, and reinstalled. I filled the fuel line with seaform which sat over night, then blew it out with my air gun. Then replaced all the rubber hoses. I then placed one 10micron filter and two 5micron filters then a final 2micron filter, with a reading of 2-3 psi at the carbs. All it did was slow down the intervals
of poor running.

I've owned webers idf for over 35 years now and have always successfully cleaned then right down to drilling and brushing out the channels then re-plugging the ports. I also have 150+$ worth of jetting. Webers can be a lot of fun to play with.

I was just hoping to hear from someone that can confirm that this is a bacteria due to the alcohol in the fuel. Like most life forms it can multiply from very few very quickly.

I read about a chemical additive that is added to diesel fuel that kills microbs,
in the trucking industry, but it is expensive and I found nothing posted as to it
success as a treatment.

My final solution will be to have the tank boiled, and replace the center tunnel fuel line.

Again, just wondering or hoping someone could enlighten me on this enemy life form.

As a sideline I will be conducting an experiment with a bleach and gasoline mixture
to see if it dissolves this jelly mass, allowing it to pass the through the 55idle jets
(which seem to be the apex of my problem) and have it burn in a normal way. I'll start with a 3% mixture then go from there. I will use an old lawn mower engine as my, white lab mouse. The goal is to make a one shot treatment.

This may all be related to a meteor that landed in my back hay field some 6 months ago. Most of the grass/hay is dead, leading up to my garage.
HAHAAHHA!!!

thanks
Frank aka Barringtonpro

r_towle
Marine stores have additive to prevent this.
rhodyguy
Soak in bleach and gas? Or what?
somd914
The main issue in the marine world has been related to fiberglass fuel tanks - ethanol can dissolve the resin which then had a habit of clogging carbs.

But if you are really curious about the side effects of ethanol fuels, here is a good article:

http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2011/december/ethanol.asp

It is interesting to note that the article mentions the occasional occurrence of goo - believed to be related to water interacting with gasoline additives mixed in at the refineries.
Geezer914
Stabill makes a marine additive to combat the effects of ethanol. I would try that vs bleach. Adding bleach would be like adding water to your fuel supply, making the engine run like crap. stirthepot.gif
Porschef
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Sep 4 2015, 12:55 AM) *

Stabill makes a marine additive to combat the effects of ethanol. I would try that vs bleach. Adding bleach would be like adding water to your fuel supply, making the engine run like crap. stirthepot.gif

agree.gif

Get the marine formula. It's blue, the regular stuff is red.

somd914
The easiest and cheapest method is keep your tank full and drive the car. Phase separation and water issues in general aren't a widespread issue in the auto world. In the marine world it has been experienced more often due to the fact that most boats are lightly used, sit outside in the hot sun on cool water, tanks are frequently partially filled, and tanks are vented directly to the outside - our vent is on transom two feet above the waterline. Thus conditions for tank condensation are excellent. I have a diesel; condensation and water separation have been an issue for diesel long before E-10 gas came along. Keeping the tank full is the accepted practice for preventing condensation versus additives in the sailing community.

Additionally, due the research, the scientific world is mixed about Stabil and other additives. I'm not saying it won't help, but it might not be the panacea that the additive manufacturers claim.
barringtonpro
QUOTE(barringtonpro @ Sep 2 2015, 04:59 PM) *

Starting this summer, i developed a cloged idle circut in my Weber 40s. No big deal i cleaned them and they were fine. 50miles later, problem comes back. This went on 12 times, each time with my going deeper into the cleaning.

Finally, now the Webers do not want to clean. After having a long think, and much reading on the www I have come to a conclusion that my system, the tank and line are infected with some sort of clear yellow jelly. I cleaned both but it does not solve the problem. i even have a series of 2micron fuel filters.

I have never really found any dirt but i have found a very thin coating of clear
jelly in the Weber fuel bowl. It accumulated to varying degre, between the cleanings.

Sometimes I would not see much at all other times i had to swab out the tank and bowls, to remove this thin coating.

In reading i have found this to be a problem in boating applications and the use of alcohol fuel. It may be a fuel infection of alga.

I was wondering if someone had a run in with this problem and could please enlighten me on what to do. At this point it would be nice to know that someone else had the same problem.

Thank you
Frank aka barringtonpro

Thanks everyone for your replies

I currently added Stay-Bil anti microbial liquid in a shock dosage from the Tractor Supply store. In a few days I will look again in the Carb bowl to see if the slim is reduced.

In driving 20 miles and having it in the tank for 3 hours, prior to my drive, no improvement was noted.

At some point I'm sure I will have to remove the tank, again, and have it pro-cleaned
and also replace the fuel line.

All this happened due to a delivery of contaminated gas at the local Sunoco Station.
This was confirmed a few weeks later by the local lawn mower repair facilities in town. Not by my asking, just being told in conversation. Fuel and water is not a big problem with Fuel injected cars since it blows it through no matter what. Lawn mower carbs and Weber carbs with small idle jets have a problem.

My car with Stromberg Carbs did not have a problem. I cleaned them and it ran fine.
My 914 must have had a sudden fungus bloom brought on by the added water
from the contaminated fuel.

Again than you all for the comment.
Geezer914
I would be delivering that Sunoco station a bill along with the pictures and an ass chewing! WTF.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.