Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: nervous as shit.. but got to take it to dmv for inspection/emissions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
it's running seemingly stable now, fuel filter holds a consistent amount of fuel too. lights all work, sometimes intermittently. and I have horn and wipers. it has not been tuned so I fully expect to fail emissions, though I am hopeful. put front spoiler on this morning too. my car is so ugly, the spoiler is its only redeeming feature : )

well, wife will follow me to dmv, maiden voyage drive, just about.
EdwardBlume
Um, good luck! cheer.gif
Larmo63
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

first.gif
matthepcat
Delaware is like the only state worse than CA for vehicle smog & inspection.

We can have a dangerously unfit vehicle for the roadways as long as it passes visual and tailpipe smog! lol
jimkelly
just remembered that my emergency brake handle semi disintegrated when I installed it. so I added a spring just now to make it functional. the spring pulls the movable toothed piece to make it engage the larger toothed piece. my botton works but it is electrical taped to the handle or else it will fly away.
jimkelly
yeah, i'd be a bit more confident if we did not have emissions in DE for 1972 cars. last time I was there, a Ferrari failed inspection, my Avalon with a shit ton of dash lights passed, thank god.

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Sep 4 2015, 09:59 AM) *

Delaware is like the only state worse than CA for vehicle smog & inspection.

We can have a dangerously unfit vehicle for the roadways as long as it passes visual and tailpipe smog! lol

stugray
Emissions? Vehicle Inspections?
What are those?

Good Luck anyway!
If carbs, make sure it is fully warned up, and don't let them shut it off while you wait.

Is it the dyno type where they have to drive it?
If so, make sure they understand the shift pattern.
BeatNavy
Gambling is sanctioned in Delaware, Jim. Roll the dice, and Good luck!
bandjoey
Antique registration and only a safety chech?? Some states allow that.
mepstein
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Sep 4 2015, 02:09 PM) *

Antique registration and only a safety chech?? Some states allow that.

PA - antique and no safety check. But DE is a bitch.
era vulgaris
Dude, move to the Carolinas. NC has no emissions or safety inspections whatsoever for vehicles over 30 years old. Just pay your registration and show proof of insurance, and they give you a license plate.
And IIRC, South Carolina has no inspections whatsoever for any vehicles no matter how old.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Sep 4 2015, 02:57 PM) *

Dude, move to the Carolinas. NC has no emissions or safety inspections whatsoever for vehicles over 30 years old. Just pay your registration and show proof of insurance, and they give you a license plate.
And IIRC, South Carolina has no inspections whatsoever for any vehicles no matter how old.

that's true now, but when I moved here 20 years ago we had them. it was a joke, they finally figured that out and got rid of it. beer.gif
jimkelly
well GOOD NEWS : ))))

I initially passed CO and failed HC by 5, I took it back thru and passed on both CO and HC.

MY bad for thinking they would not check for door window glass. so I need to bring it back ONLY for door window glass. thus I will take the doors off my 1975 and put them in my 1972 to pass inspection. awesome day. too late to get doors on and back to dmv today, will have to do it on tues.

realized I did not have a door mirror this morning, so I popped $10 for this one from autozone. good enough for now, works far better then my wobbly original mirror.

little video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evoZPGuDoho
BeatNavy
Nice! Congrats, Jim smile.gif Have FUN with it.
somd914
And Maryland, your neighbor to the west, requires nothing but $25.50/yr for historic tags...

But I do get frustrated with the state inspections when registering non-historic cars - can be very difficult to get through inspection as shops want to find items to repair to make the inspection more profitable. But once through inspection, good forever. Who cares that a few years down the road the car is unsafe?
jimkelly
for antique, Delaware requires original engine. that rules me out.

and my nice score yesterday (vintage creeper)
Larmo63
The Delaware DMV sounds fascist.
Blue6
I believe that states like Ca and De are going to use the smog fees and fines to build clear glass partitions between "our" states, and you less stringent, gross polluting, smog loving neighboring states. These partitions will completely surround our state perventing smog from entering. The only hold up is, they can't decide if the " prevention walls" should be 5 or 6 feet tall. biggrin.gif
jimkelly
i vote for 7 foot walls BUT would like for the rules to not apply to me biggrin.gif
dirk9141973
piratenanner.gif OH is easy they only care that vin # matches the title and registration is good for 35 years yes no reinspection 35 years zero cost!!!Once they figure this out beware!!
jimkelly
35 fucking years, no shit, wow that is beyond awesome.
76-914
Congrats Jim.
Johny Blackstain
Va. is pretty good & also bad. Antique plates got abused here so now in order to have them you must have at least 1 vehicle w/ regular plates. Of course, regular plates means yearly inspection, emissions (depending on the county you're in) & registration. Aside from that, antique plates are a breeze; initial registration & you're done- no emissions, anual fees, inspections or whatever for as long as you own it.
EdwardBlume
I love a happy ending! aktion035.gif
stugray
Great news and that mirror is actually pretty damn good for $10.

I got vintage plates (5 years), no emissions, no inspection (I think $75)

My car does not have headlights, wipers, side windows, horns, or turn signals.
It does have tags, brake lights and insurance.

I drive it on the street quite often in daylight and not raining.
I just use hand signals :-)
jimkelly
gotta love Colorado, just need tires and gas : ))
jimkelly
Delaware checks emissions at idle only.

lastly, I removed my front bumper cover as it was starting to disintegrate. i'll get me a fiberglass set one day.

QUOTE(stugray @ Sep 4 2015, 10:31 AM) *

Emissions? Vehicle Inspections?
What are those?

Good Luck anyway!
If carbs, make sure it is fully warned up, and don't let them shut it off while you wait.

Is it the dyno type where they have to drive it?
If so, make sure they understand the shift pattern.
Hank914
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 4 2015, 01:52 PM) *

i vote for 7 foot walls BUT would like for the rules to not apply to me biggrin.gif

lol-2.gif av-943.gif I love it!

But I think you are unique in wanting lots of "do-good, nanny-state" stuff like smog walls around the pure states, but then not wanting those rules to apply to you. Well almost unique... There might of few of you around DC.
Spoke
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 4 2015, 03:28 PM) *

well GOOD NEWS : ))))

Congrats. I know the feeling of anticipation when getting a car inspected.

However in PA, if you know someone, that anticipation can be abated with a couple of well placed $20s. biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
jimkelly
my main fear was driving it 15 miles from home, not knowing it would make it there and back. I have a tow bar but no car at home with a tow ball these days.

the upside with Delaware, is inspections are good for 2 years, not one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.