Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I just fired my painter.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
I had to do it. He's two weeks late with the rockers and rear valence and hasn't touched them yet after having them for almost six weeks.

Last week, he stopped returning my calls. I finally called his other job today and left an 'urgent' message with the secretary who then opened the paint booth to give it to him. dry.gif

He returned my call all pissed off and I just said 'good, I see your phone does work'. I fired him and got my parts back.

I think I should send him a bill for the final polish on the car, which he owes me.

Looks like I'll be loading the paint gun next week....
machina
that sucks because you have the best paint job on a 914 I have ever seen.

sometimes you have to give Arteests some slack.
Series9
Paint always looks better in pictures. It is very good, but it could be better.

Anyway, if this were the first time I'd dealt with stuff like this from him I might have let it slide, but trust me when I say it's the tip of the iceburg.

How a 44 year-old man can receive ten messages and knowingly avoid talking to a customer is completely beyond me.

The painter is the ONLY person, besides myself, to touch the car during this build and it frustrates me to no end to have him behave like this when parts are out of my hands.
Root_Werks
I guess that door can swing both ways. I have a little old lady car I keep up. 76' 911S she bought new. She says it won't start, that is about the extent of any info I will get from here. Dead battery? Turns over? Sputters? She doesn't know. She finally called me after yet another week that I couldn't make it out. I felt really bad. sad.gif So I told her I would be out first thing Saturday morning. Sometimes times get tight for people. Me, I can stretch myself too thin at times and it will show. Working a full time day job and doing Porsches on the side can be taxing, but I love it so! wub.gif cool.gif
TravisNeff
That's some bad news, but sounds like it had to happen. Push is getting to shove. Be sure to show everyone your prep and progress on painting them parts!
Series9
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Mar 3 2005, 04:58 PM)
That's some bad news, but sounds like it had to happen. Push is getting to shove. Be sure to show everyone your prep and progress on painting them parts!

It's been a while since I've painted. I might need:
TravisNeff
You need curb feelers attached to those..
scotty b
Six weeks is B.S. If this guy is trying to build or mantain a reputation he should have had those pieces done in 1-2 weeks max! I'm assuming they were in good shape and needed little or no hammer work?
Series9
QUOTE (scotty b @ Mar 3 2005, 05:20 PM)
Six weeks is B.S. If this guy is trying to build or mantain a reputation he should have had those pieces done in 1-2 weeks max! I'm assuming they were in good shape and needed little or no hammer work?

The point being that they haven't been touched! As in, he didn't do ANYTHING to them since I took the parts to him the third week of January.

He then decided to stop answering his phone when I called and that makes me absolutely furious.

99% of the work is done, I'll do the last percent myself.
Joe Bob
Screw him...he had other jobs that took predence or has a drinking problem....don't suffer idjuts.... flipa.gif
MecGen
Hey man
Do 90% of the prep yourself an pay someone to do it !
I have painted many a car but would never dream of trusting myself with my car.
I paid for it,its like sex, you get what you pay for mueba.gif

cheers
Joe

beerchug.gif
TravisNeff
That is a lot of the mentality (your painter) that runs out in ABQ, I have some first hand experience on a bunch. Not to say anything bad, but lots of folks march to their own drummer (must be all the alien encounters in Roswell)
Series9
QUOTE (mikez @ Mar 3 2005, 05:30 PM)
Screw him...he had other jobs that took predence or has a drinking problem....don't suffer idjuts.... flipa.gif

We all have a drinking problem. He was actually a drinking buddy for a while.

See if you can find me. Here's a hint, I'm drunk:

http://www.turtlemountainbrewing.com/html/gallery.htm
Aaron Cox
blamo

user posted image
jones
ugotstudowhatzugotstudo
Series9
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 3 2005, 05:41 PM)
blamo

user posted image

Meet the guys bringing you beer. The other guy is Nico, the owner of the brewery.

Not my best moment, but you guys will likely see me just like that at the WCC.
J P Stein
I'm gonna fire my painter too. He a worthless titless good for nuthin incompetent lazy meantempered no talent sumbitch.....the foureyed fuck. My welder is history to, by God. Same as above cept he doan wear glasses when he smeares on his seagull shit thatIgottagrindtolookdecent.

I've had enuff of their shit to last me a lifetime. w00t.gif
DuckRyder
Trust the man whose truchk has been at the shop for the second time for about 4 weeks now without being touched.

It is pretty much ALWAYS that way with painters. headbang.gif
GWN7
I feel for you. I gave my ex bro-in-law a fender off my 68 Impalla. He had to weld a 4" X 4" patch, bondo and prime it. 6 months later I picked it up and went and bought a welder. sad.gif
xsboost90
i had a bud who sent his 53 chev pickup to a guy to totally redo it, frame off rebuild. The guy did tons of work the first couple months, getting it torn up, bed welded up and fenders done w/ frenched taillights. Then didnt touch it the next two years. WHen he picked it up, the guy had pitched his frame cuz he was going to do a tube frame. THen he got a frame, had it redone, sent it to a kid from a vocational school in auto body to do the rest...then i had to redo everything he did and paint it -again- and now its in magazines...it isnt hard to get burnt out on working on cars for people though. Especially when you work all day then do it in your spare time.
xitspd
QUOTE (914RS @ Mar 3 2005, 04:51 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 3 2005, 05:41 PM)
blamo

user posted image

Meet the guys bringing you beer. The other guy is Nico, the owner of the brewery.

Not my best moment, but you guys will likely see me just like that at the WCC.

Joe,

Are you sure that picture was taken in New Mexico? Those beer mugs look Texas size! beer.gif

Dan

ps For what it's worth, all painters are weird.....
Series9
QUOTE (xitspd @ Mar 3 2005, 07:21 PM)
Are you sure that picture was taken in New Mexico? Those beer mugs look Texas size! beer.gif

Dan

Don't try this at home. We're professionals.
Trekkor
Well here in Napa, Brandon Penserini ( club member, "brandon" ) and owner of Altissimo is "the man".

He turned my rockers out in what, 2-3 days.
He's totally motivated and is willing to work 12 hours+ per day, 7 days a week, to make a sucess of his new business.

Nice to see this...

KT

carreraguy
I know what you mean by "arteeests"! I've had a guy working on refinishing some stock wheels since September 2004 and he doesn't return my calls!! The ONLY bright light on the horizon is that I don't need them immediately and I have seen his work first hand and it is verrry nice. Patience, patience.
redshift
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Mar 3 2005, 08:59 PM)

No finer a toliet cleaner could become his own surgeon!

smile.gif

mgw.gif Like the boobs? Did them myself.

M
TravisNeff
Well, I sure put my foot in my mouth headbang.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Mar 3 2005, 04:59 PM)
I'm gonna fire my painter too. He a worthless titless good for nuthin incompetent lazy meantempered no talent sumbitch.....the foureyed fuck. My welder is history to, by God. Same as above cept he doan wear glasses when he smeares on his seagull shit thatIgottagrindtolookdecent.

Yer hired....
Series9
UPDATE:

After pricing about $150 of materials to do the job, I had a look around at some local paint shops.

The first shop wanted $700 (for a pair of rockers and a rear valence!), so I went to another and they said they'd have 'em done in a week for $225. Sold.

I did make the quality I expected very clear. I'll post the results in a week.

That's the good news.

The bad news: my powder coater, who has had my wheels for over a month, called today to tell me they may not be able to strip the wheels. They're going to try one more thing and call me tomorrow.

Unbelievable.
andys
Los Pancho's is starting to sound better and better!

Seriously though, these kinds of problems are why I do nearly everything myself, to the chagrin of many.

Andy
jd74914
agree.gif that factor and the CSOB factor are the reasons why I am the only person working on my car.
Series9
QUOTE (andys @ Mar 8 2005, 10:44 PM)
Los Pancho's is starting to sound better and better!

Seriously though, these kinds of problems are why I do nearly everything myself, to the chagrin of many.

Andy

The only things I haven't done on this car:

Dip: I don't have a tank that will hold a car.
Paint: I don't have a paint booth.
Powder Coatings: I don't have an oven that large.

I had trouble with:

Paint and Powder coatings.

Believe me, it frustrates the hell out of me to have things out of my hands.
rhodyguy
i take it your ex-painter has already been paid in full for the complete job. customers paid in full go to the end of the line.

k
Series9
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 9 2005, 12:05 AM)
i take it your ex-painter has already been paid in full for the complete job. customers paid in full go to the end of the line.

k

Nope. He ate his last check from me by failing to meet my schedule miserably.
Steve Thacker
QUOTE (914RS @ Mar 9 2005, 06:10 PM)
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 9 2005, 12:05 AM)

k

Nope. He ate his last check from me by failing to meet my schedule miserably.

You just need to learn where to hide the bodies of the people who piss you off....
Shoot...Shovel...Shut-up ar15.gif

Then life gets soooo much better. Just ask me..... laugh.gif

scotty b
ohmy.gif CREFULL STEVE. Don't forget the PO-PO are watching us biggrin.gif Or is that the Poo-Poo?
mikey
Don't feel too bad about it if he wasn't doing his job right. I did the same thing. My first body shop was taking forever and doing a lousy job - bondo sculpting. I wasn't about to let them finish the body work and start painting. So I paid him off and brought it to a metal meister and had him do the metal work. Then I brought it to Brandon Penserini and had him paint it. It ended up costing me more and delaying me for over a year but I'm glad I did it. The results were worth it.

xitspd
QUOTE (redshift @ Mar 3 2005, 07:30 PM)
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Mar 3 2005, 08:59 PM)

No finer a toliet cleaner could become his own surgeon!

smile.gif

mgw.gif Like the boobs? Did them myself.

M

How about this fine model with advanced electronics!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.