Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why is it so hard to fill up my tank?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Rookie
So here's the problem... while filling up my 75 914 the gas nozzle constantly goes off, as in it trips the release handle like its full. I know it's not full but if I don't fill it at the slowest speed it will constantly trip the nozzle. Anybody else have this issue? Is there a blockage somewhere?
Thanks in advance.

Greg
SirAndy
The inlet for our tanks is not shaped correctly for modern gas nozzles.

The only way to keep the nozzle in there is to press it down with your hand while you're filling up.

If you don't hold it down, it will shut off and can even jump out and damage your fender.
shades.gif
Bruce Hinds
The blockage is in California! The stupid nozzles have to go so far in because of that big black rubber neck thing on the pump handle.

The narrow opening on the later model teeners doesn't make it any easier. If you make a donut to cover the tank opening or just hold the "anti spill" neck back it may work better for you.
MartyYeoman
I position my tank cap under the nozzle flange, this seems to give the compression necessary to allow hands off refueling. Sort of a quirk, but works for me.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Sep 4 2015, 02:03 PM) *

hands off refueling.

I've never been comfortable doing that, no matter what car it is. I don't mind gripping the pump handle for the couple minutes it takes, just for the reassurance that gas isn't going to go everywhere.
DBCooper
If you catch the black nozzle seal on the edge of the tank opening and use that to compress it it will flow normally.

914itis
Mine works fine but stops at about a gallon to fill up.
914Rookie
Thanks for the help. I'll give those suggestions a try and see if I can cut down my refill times. I'm not looking for NASCAR fast but I would like to get away in under 10 minutes driving.gif
Dave_Darling
Motorcycle shops used to sell hooks that would hold the vapor cone back for filling up motorcycle fuel tanks. A PO of one of my 914s got a piece of 2x4 with a ~2-3" diameter hole drilled through it that served the same purpose.

Our tanks are (relatively) flat and wide, and do not have a long vertical hose going down into them. The current pumps pretty much assume that you have several inches or more of mostly-vertical hose running down into the tank, and ours will make them think the tank is full way too early.

--DD
Chris914n6
When I bought my first 75, the inside was cut out. Then I had difficulties with the plastic on plastic gas cap getting stuck and needing to carry a monkey wrench. An early parts car fixed it permanently.
stugray
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Sep 4 2015, 12:01 PM) *

The blockage is in California! The stupid nozzles have to go so far in because of that big black rubber neck thing on the pump handle.

The narrow opening on the later model teeners doesn't make it any easier. If you make a donut to cover the tank opening or just hold the "anti spill" neck back it may work better for you.

The problem with those black retractable "collar things" in CA is that those recover the fumes that the pump is generating.

If the recovery system isnt "mostly" sealed when it pulls a vacuum, it will shut off the pump.

They are phasing out stage II vapor recovery soon I believe.
DBCooper
QUOTE(stugray @ Sep 4 2015, 03:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Sep 4 2015, 12:01 PM) *

The problem with those black retractable "collar things" in CA is that those recover the fumes that the pump is generating.

If the recovery system isnt "mostly" sealed when it pulls a vacuum, it will shut off the pump.

They are phasing out stage II vapor recovery soon I believe.

Huh. Filling my motorcycle tanks I can just compress it with my hands, which seems to disable it, then fill right to the top. I do pretty much the same thing when I hook one edge of the seal on the lip of the 914 tank, push to compress it, then fill pretty much to the top. In both cases the nozzle and filler neck top are open to the air, so apparently no vacuum seal? I don't know how the system works, but that seems to defeat it. I'm polluting like crazy though, aren't I? Maybe I shouldn't have said that out loud.

toolguy
I made a round PVC ring about 1 inch tall and used it under the nozzel when filling. . worked fine after that. . otherwise hold the rubber seal up with two fingers
Montreal914
Never had any issues with my 73 confused24.gif

Is this more specific to the 74 and later plastic cap/filler on the gas tank?
smj
QUOTE(Montreal914)
Is this more specific to the 74 and later plastic cap/filler on the gas tank?

Don't recall any plastic in my '74 filler, but it's only #232 for that MY.

Saying this will probably jinx me at the next fill up, but I don't generally have any problem with mine. (Which is perhaps more of a sign that I need to take a road trip and stop going to the same stations all the time... idea.gif)
Cuda911
No problems at all filling up my '73 or '74.

I have to hold the rubber vapor recovery thingy back with my left hand while filling up my motorcycle.

And, to fill up my 996 without it shutting off over and over like OP's issue, I have to put the nozzle in with the pump turned upside down (handle facing towards the car).
EdwardBlume
Modern pumps are for modern cars.... use good gas and take your time.
Hank914
QUOTE(toolguy @ Sep 4 2015, 05:02 PM) *

I made a round PVC ring about 1 inch tall and used it under the nozzel when filling. . worked fine after that. . otherwise hold the rubber seal up with two fingers

I like the PVC ring better than the block of wood. But old 2x4 wood is kinda ghetto/redneck, so that appeals to me also.

You should think about making some PVC rings up and selling them. Holding the gas pump is getting old, and I'd pay somebody to solve my problem.
jim_hoyland
Would one of those ABS plumbing parts at Home Depot do the trick ?
Dave_Darling
Probably. For a while, at least. Not sure how ABS holds up to gasoline fumes, so you might keep an eye on it. (Try to squish it every time before you use it; if it cracks then don't use it?)

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.