Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone here running a Megasquirt system
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BeemerSteve
Hello....I'm a new to this forum and after a 30 year hiatus from 914's I picked up another last week. It's a 1973 2.0 running a Megasquirt injection using which appears to be stock injectors. Is there anyone here running something similar that has success running it?

Sorry, but I haven't a clue about how they work and curious just how they're set up.

Thanks!!!
RJMII
I'm running MegaSquirt... I've built 3 systems so far, and have the 4th lined up. None were on a flat four, but the theories are all similar. (one was a 2.5 turbo V6, second was 3.0 naturally aspirated v6, and the other is on a 2.4 inline turbo 4 built for 550hp but with an injector/cam/turbo change could easily be pushed much higher)

What sort of questions do you have?
BeemerSteve
I have yet to give it a tune up but it seems to idle erratic at first until it warms up a bit then it pops or backfires some. Is this typical? It would probably help to adjust the valves and timing then go from there.
RJMII
yes, adjust the valves and timing and then come back. We can do a datalog, get it uploaded and start tuning.

do you have the wideband O2 in your system? got pictures of the sensors, wiring, ECU, etc? it'll help to know what components you've got, too.
BeemerSteve
When I looked at the car before I bought it I thought he was running stock injection and really didn't question why the different system because at the time I didn't care because of price and condition. I bought it anyway.......maybe on impulse but who cares now I just have to familiarize myself with Megasquirt and sort it.
aircooledtechguy
I'm just south of you down in Anacortes. I've run 2 different systems on on my '67 VW Squareback that runs a Porsche 914 engine. Originally an MS2 plenum based using D-jet injectors (yellow top) w/ EDIS ignition.. The current system is MS3X running individual throttle bodies, w/ LS2 coils w/ fully sequential injection and timing.

I'm in the process of converting a 914 2.0L from D-jet to an MS2 ITB and EDIS system. You're welcome to come by the shop and talk megasquirt. A great local guy to talk to about tuning megasquirt is Mario Velotta of www.thedubshop.net (Monroe, WA). He is my MS guru and the guy I buy all my stuff from. He'll be at my shop in Anacortes 9/15 to help me do the tuning on the 914 as well as some additional tuning on my Square since I just switched to a new race motor.

Dave_Darling
The thing is that Megasquirt isn't really a fuel injection system. It is actually a family of ECUs--just the brain box. The user still has to provide all of the "hard" parts (manifolds, throttle bodies, etc.), all of the wiring, the fuel system, injectors, and so on.

And, of course, there are many different flavors of MS. There are 1, 2, 3, Microsquirt, Megajolt (deals with spark), MS with EDIS, and so on and so forth.

Did we mention that the user has to program the ECU as well?

So you have to figure out what you have, and how it is put together. Once you know the details, you can start to understand more about how the programming affects the car.

--DD
toon1
im running MS, have been successfully for a while.

There are a lot of threads on here about tuning the system. You can also go to the MS forum to get info.
BeemerSteve
Thanks you guys.....this gives me much more to work with being MegaSquirt tech challenged.

Aircooledtechguy, I will take you up on your offer but first the most important thing for me now is to sort the clutch cable thing and figure whether or not there might be a clutch and trans replacement down the road. I picked the car up over the border (BC) last week and I'm slowly figuring out what it'll need. I can see that it is using the D-jet yellow top injectors along with other FI stuff I can't identify and a different power board just above the stock one.

Even if I don't sort the clutch situation out I'd still like to come down to talk on 9/15 at your shop. smile.gif
Dave_Darling
Post lots of pics, and we may be able to tell you what some of the parts are from... smile.gif

--DD
BeemerSteve
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 5 2015, 10:36 AM) *

Post lots of pics, and we may be able to tell you what some of the parts are from... smile.gif

--DD

Sounds good!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.