Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Floor Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
3d914
Working on identifying rust on the floor under the pedal cluster. I cleaned the surface rust off, but have a couple of questions.

On the underside - what is this support for and why does it have a big hole in it?
IPB Image

On the inside it had a circular plug that came out and the area is filled with seam sealer. Should the seam sealer go through to the outside?
IPB Image
914Sixer
Round hole bracket on the under side is for the factory dolly that the 914's sat on. On further investigation it seems I gave the WRONG answer!

wndsnd
Ah looks like the master cylinder hole.
wndsnd
Oh that ... hole!
3d914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 4 2015, 07:44 PM) *

Round hole bracket on the under side is for the factory doll that the 914's sat on.

Thanks, Mark. I need to remove the front portion to make sure there isn't another sheet metal plug on that side that needs welded in place.
EdwardBlume
Don't cut it off, the car won't run properly without it... av-943.gif
914Sixer
Here is another shot to show I was wrong!
3d914
I've cleaned out the sealer on both sides and cut the end off the support piece - now you can see the sheet metal tab. The end of the support piece covered the gap - which was filled with seam sealer. Since it had dried out it was a potential source of moisture. I'll come up with a new piece to weld in & seal this off. It will get undercoating later.

IPB Image

On the inside there's a shelf for the plug. I'll need to cut a new one out of slightly thicker material and weld it in. First will be rust treatment, then weld in a new plug on both sides, then finish off with seam sealer.

IPB Image
rgalla9146
Factory feature to allow brake fluid and water to initiate rust.
TheCabinetmaker
I had no idea which of those 5 holes you were referring to. Now I see what you have cut off was what I thought was the front tow hook. I've used it a couple of times for just that. Keeps the tow truck guys from latching onto the suspension or torsion bars.
rgalla9146
Don't forget that broken gas pedal bolt.
A little heat wrench will have that out in a jiffy.
Do it from below.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.