Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this a '75 or much earlier ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andrewb
Hi Gents,
I wonder if you could help clear something up - this car http://bscporsche.com/classic-porsches/197...sche-914-targa/ is for sale over here as a '75 but there are several things that make us think that it's earlier. Given that there's far more 914 knowledge on your side of the pond - what's the verdict ?

Thanks

Andrew
stevegm
It appears to be an early car. It could be a '75. But if it is, somebody did an excellent job of backdating a number of things - bumpers, fixed passenger seat, etc.
xperu
QUOTE(andrewb @ Sep 5 2015, 05:17 AM) *

Hi Gents,
I wonder if you could help clear something up - this car http://bscporsche.com/classic-porsches/197...sche-914-targa/ is for sale over here as a '75 but there are several things that make us think that it's earlier. Given that there's far more 914 knowledge on your side of the pond - what's the verdict ?

Thanks

Andrew

It looks like an early car, I say that because the vent on the dash. But if it's European, it may be something I haven't seen before on a late car. Mike
walterolin
Early. Chrome bumpers, white headlight surrounds, center dash vent, no plastic shield on fresh air vent on pillar, steel wheels and VW hubcaps, fixed passenger seat. Probably 71. Need the VIN. European spec.
maf914
Also....Early style jack, mounting bracket and location in rear trunk. Early style chrome trimmed heater/ventilation controls on dash. Early style ignition switch on steering column.

I have a 76, which was actually built in 75. I would say its not a 75.

Here is a book that documents 914 model changes. Not a great book, but sometimes helpful.

EdwardBlume
Its a 70. Ask for the VIN... will likely be 47029.....

Bumpers, 1.7 exhaust, dash vent, dash face, wheels, all point to 70, maybe 71.
914Sixer
Early car. Dash gives it away along with the wiper switch on dash.
Bruce Hinds
Too many items changed to be a '75. I don't know either about Euro spec either, but nobody would back date the seats gauges and dash - I'll bet it has a tail shifter too! Who would do that?

If the vin still says '75, you can bet it's had the data plates changed.
andrewb
Cheers guys, I knew you'd come good.
rhodyguy
Like most retailers, no money shots. I HATE the paraphrased 914 histories that are often included in ads. That's a pretty dear asking price given the current exchange rate.
walterolin
Keys to the Euro spec are the KM speedo, VW/Porsche emblem on the back, turn signal/tail light lens, and the VW insignia stamped on the hub caps. I have a US 70-4 and it is identical except for the Euro stuff. The wheels are missing the aluminum VW trim rings.

Very likely a1.7 with tail shift as noted above.

Still a nice looking car, even has the snow plow rear valence.
SirAndy
QUOTE(walterolin @ Sep 5 2015, 05:19 AM) *
center dash vent

Dead giveaway, no way that is a '75!

My bet is the VIN starts with 470 ...
shades.gif
Dave_Darling
Also looks like the horn pad has the Wolfsburg logo instead of the Porsche one, which would also be a European touch.

I concur that this is either a 70 or 71; while it is always possible to backdate everything to make a 75 look like this, it doesn't really make sense to do so. (E.g., the later moveable passenger's seat is nicer to have than the early non-moveable seat; the later defrost vents are probably more functional than the early single one, the later jack actually works better than the earlier one, and so on.)

I do like that it seems to be set up with Italian-spec lighting.

--DD
Cuda911
Also, it's missing the door vent plastic plugs. Early cars didn't have them.
theleschyouknow
Italian spec? I can see that, was wondering why it has the warts.
cpavlenko
That b a 70 or 71. I can't believe there saying 75... WTF.gif
Dave_Darling
I believe the Italian-spec cars had the warts and also had the clear front turn signal lenses. (I could be wrong.)

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.