Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1,7 engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DavidSweden
I have the chance to pick up a 1,7 engine for about $300, its seems like a pity to pass it over but I am wondering what I can do with it. The engine in my car is a 2.0, can I build a stroker from the 1,7 or use it in some other way or just use it for spares?

jimkelly
I believe 1.7 can be machined top accept 1.8 and 2.0 heads and cylinders. 1.7 at least is d jet like your 2.0. could be a back up motor with slightly less hp. though exhaust would be different too.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Sep 5 2015, 07:29 AM) *

I have the chance to pick up a 1,7 engine for about $300, its seems like a pity to pass it over but I am wondering what I can do with it. The engine in my car is a 2.0, can I build a stroker from the 1,7 or use it in some other way or just use it for spares?

My 2316 is built on a 1.7 case, 80mm crank and 96mm p&c's. Just clearance the case a bit for the crank. The real money is in the Hoffman heads and intake & exhaust so it breathes well. Puts down 165hp at the wheels....hang on!
stugray
IIRC, all cases are the same dimensions.

In fact I believe that Jake said he prefers the 1.7s for a fresh build.
Dont remember why but guessing that they just have not been abused as much as a larger motor?
mepstein
QUOTE(stugray @ Sep 5 2015, 02:43 PM) *

Dont remember why but guessing that they just have not been abused as much as a larger motor?

Jake told me the early 1.7 was better metal and less stressed/overheated. His choice for the hi po builds.
Spoke
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Sep 5 2015, 11:29 AM) *

1,7 engine, What to do with it

Doorstop

Boat Anchor

Step stool

jimkelly
I don't know about Sweden but here in america most 914 owners DON'T drive their cars. for many, it is because they don't have a running engine. I say and decent 1.7 is far better than a non running engine. while 2.0 is probably better, it is not better by enough to look down on a 1.7.

that said, to me, a 1.7 can be awesome, see this thread, which made a 1.7 and awesome motor in my book.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...54&hl=turbo
TheCabinetmaker
I've got several 1.7's and 1.8's. I'd buy any running engine for 300. I put many many miles on a 94mm piston 1.7. It was a hoot to drive. Low end torque is awesome. Boat anchor? Not!
Mueller
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 5 2015, 01:31 PM) *

I don't know about Sweden but here in america most 914 owners DON'T drive their cars. for many, it is because they don't have a running engine. I say and decent 1.7 is far better than a non running engine. while 2.0 is probably better, it is not better by enough to look down on a 1.7.

that said, to me, a 1.7 can be awesome, see this thread, which made a 1.7 and awesome motor in my book.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...54&hl=turbo

^this wink.gif

Earlier in the year I picked up a dead 1.7 for free so I'd have something to rebuild....(ran at one time, just been sitting for a long time) and recently I bought a very low mileage rebuilt 1.7 from MarkD that I hope to have in the car within the next 6 months.

There are people that still want/need them...
cary
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 5 2015, 11:49 AM) *

QUOTE(stugray @ Sep 5 2015, 02:43 PM) *

Jake told me the early 1.7 was better metal and less stressed/overheated. His choice for the hi po builds.

Search "1911 stroker". Lots of good reading. I believe that's where I've read those comments by Jake. I have two 1.7's sitting on the shelf for future use.
McMark
agree.gif

The cases are all the same, so if you've ever thought about building a different, or fresh motor, you could pick this up as a platform to build off of.

1911 is a stock 1.7 crank (66mm stroke) with big-bore 96mm pistons (stock is 90). These can be really fun motors, comparable to a stock 2.0.

There are no stroker cranks that would work with the other 1.7 components. If you replace the crank and rods, you've got the whole world of engine size possibilities open to you.

And then there's always the turbo option... happy11.gif
arkitect
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 6 2015, 08:05 AM) *

agree.gif

The cases are all the same, so if you've ever thought about building a different, or fresh motor, you could pick this up as a platform to build off of.

1911 is a stock 1.7 crank (66mm stroke) with big-bore 96mm pistons (stock is 90). These can be really fun motors, comparable to a stock 2.0.

There are no stroker cranks that would work with the other 1.7 components. If you replace the crank and rods, you've got the whole world of engine size possibilities open to you.

Mark,
I like your new avatar showing the transition to your new place. Are you all packed?

Dave
DavidSweden
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 6 2015, 07:05 AM) *

agree.gif

McMark,

Questions:
Is it just a case of boring out the existing cylinders and installing the 96 Pistons and then reusing the existing rods and heads (heads modified to take larger cylinders)?
What about the FI is it best to go with a modern ECU?

Thanks
Kraftwerk
My 1.7 engine is peppy and has good throttle response, great street engine. "Low end torque is awesome." so true. Top-end lacks a bit over 80 mph up steep hills, but sometimes lots of power over 80mph, is, well , pricey.. I got that in my M3 and then there are speeding tickets to worry about.

Getting a second 1.7 engine, soon, barter situation, & fingers crossed it's a 1911.
Happy to have a spare engine in my kitchen, just in case. Will post a picture when I get it.

Keep in mind a stock 1.7 engine is only 8 hp less than a stock 2.0.

Us 1.7 owners should start our own secret club. Shhhhhhh!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.