Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo Angle Drive or Speedo?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kupcar
Hi Guys, I'm going through this car, one issue at a time and I appreciate everyone's help. My Speedo is reading low, like around 10mph or so slow. A bit more at higher speeds. The angle drive cable is connected and looks ok. Is it common for the angle drive unit to give slower readings when it is failing, or should I just have my speedo recalibrated to adjust for the error?
Steve
I haven't heard of that problem. Are you running stock size tires?
kupcar
Steve, It's a six conversion. It currently has 7,8x15 rims with 225/50/15 tires.
Dave_Darling
Usually they read high. With 225/50, you should be reading higher at a given actual speed than the stock 165/80 tires did.

The angle drive doesn't slow down; it is just a couple of bevel gears. The speedometer works by eddy currents from a spinning magnet pulling against an aluminum disk/cup. That rotates the needle, against the pull of a spring. It is far more likely that the speedo guts need help. Send it to a good VDO shop to be recalibrated, and make sure you tell them the revs/mile of the tires you are using.

--DD
kupcar
Thanks Dave. I'll send the speedometer out to get recalibrated. The odometer gear just let loose also. Perfect timing.
porschetub
QUOTE(kupcar @ Sep 6 2015, 04:55 PM) *

Thanks Dave. I'll send the speedometer out to get recalibrated. The odometer gear just let loose also. Perfect timing.

Your tyre size indicates you should be running 6% fast with 50 series 15'',I'am running 2% fast with 205/55/16 so as Dave said your speedo needs a rework,wonder how they get out of spec?,could a bad cable bind up and cause that....don't know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.