Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best carbs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ian Stott
I see a fair amount of comments on the carbs versus injection topic, both have merit. I'm wondering if there is a preferred carb based on manufacturer or based on application, for example a 2270 from Jake would be different than a stock 1.8. Is there a guide or is it simply engine builder preference?

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
falcor75
this is a trick question,.....right?

biggrin.gif
Ian Stott
No trick question! Just trying to educate myself.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
ThePaintedMan
Everyone will say Dellortos. But it is still builder/tuner preference.

Personally, Webers are my favorite. Easier to work on, tune, re-jet, etc. They are an all-around simpler design. However, most folks prefer the idle-to-main jet transition of Dellortos. At least, for these engines, it seems the progression ports on Dellortos offer a smoother transition from idle to main. Personally I think that has more to do with tuning though. My Webers don't stumble except when the engine is really, really loaded up. If I had an A/F gauge I bet I'd get it spot on the money.

What is far more more important is sizing the carb, and then the chokes (main venturis) for the displacement. I.E. putting Weber 44s on a 1.7 is much too big of a carb. If the engine can't "suck" hard enough, you cannot expect the carb to function properly. Physics dictates that for a given displacement, and head design (read: ability to breathe), a range of chokes will work best. You really can't choke a 44 down enough to work well with a 1.7 (unless we're talking a full-on racing motor). That's why most people go with Weber 40s or Dellorto 40s up to about 2056 displacement. After that are 44s, up to about 2.5 liters or so. Again, there are other variables, but these are the rough ranges.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Sep 6 2015, 09:26 AM) *

That's why most people go with Weber 40s or Dellorto 40s up to about 2056 displacement. After that are 44s, up to about 2.5 liters or so. Again, there are other variables, but these are the rough ranges.

Dellorto 40 = Weber 44
I think a lot of people don't know that there is a size difference between the two brands.

I've got Dellorto 40's on my 2270 built by McMark. It was his opinion that Dell 44's were too big for my engine. They are fantastic.

One thing to consider if you're looking into getting Webers, is the influx of chinese knock offs that have hit the market. There was a thread a couple months ago about a forum member who bought new carbs from Weber Carbs Direct only to discover they were crappy fakes.
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Sep 6 2015, 08:37 AM) *

That's why most people go with Weber 40s or Dellorto 40s up to about 2056 displacement. After that are 44s, up to about 2.5 liters or so. Again, there are other variables, but these are the rough ranges.

Dellorto 40 = Weber 44
I think a lot of people don't know that there is a size difference between the two brands.

I've got Dellorto 40's on my 2270 built by McMark. It was his opinion that Dell 44's were too big for my engine. They are fantastic.

One thing to consider if you're looking into getting Webers, is the influx of chinese knock offs that have hit the market. There was a thread a couple months ago about a forum member who bought new carbs from Weber Carbs Direct only to discover they were crappy fakes.

agree.gif On all points.

Weber Carbs Direct should be re-named Weber Con Direct. . . dry.gif

Bottomline is that a set of properly prepped Dells will out performa an equally well prepped set of Webers. The issues with the Dells IMHO is there is less support now for the Dells. Webers you can find someone with a set of jets etc at any track in America. Dells, not so much.
Mark Henry
This is right up there with "what brand of oil is best".

Used both and I'll say weber's just because of parts availability. Both are not perfect, Chinese weber's especially the early EMPI ones are junk, personally I'd only use italian webers. Webers do have a superior float/bowl but this only matters for hard off-roading.

Dells can be made to work better but will cost you more, they need an update kit or they whistle , they can suffer from dellorto drip which is some of the press in plugs come loose.

Power claim is true but I'd say more like a 40mm dell = a 42 weber, but this is mostly because out of the box the dells came with a bigger venturis. Put equal size vents in a weber and this claim mostly goes out the door. Very few people change the vents.

With either carb if they are not in good condition,set-up and jetted proper and the linkage is crap or if the engine is beat, they both will run like shit.
I've personally made weber's run like silk, but I build my own linkages and use an A/F meter/jet reams to set them up. Takes a few days and a lot of driving to get them right.
zambezi
Only the 36 Dells have the notch in the throttle body area that causes it to whistle. I agree the dells are more expensive to run but when they are properly set up can be left alone for a long time and they run great.
porschetub
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Sep 7 2015, 03:37 AM) *

Dellorto 40 = Weber 44

Yea the carb with Weber on it made in Italy or Spain is fine the one with Empi is Chinese for rubbish,check the Samba.com for comments....quality control, whats that??.
I like the Dellorto's and don't be brainwashed about the lack of parts in the US,cross the ditch to the UK and Italy,theres a wealth of parts there.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.