Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heat ? Any Idea's ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Beakster
The 914 I just bought has got a set of headers .. So No heat .. I need heat in the car .. Any Ideas on what I can put in or use .. Has any one put in a VW gas heater in there 914 ?? welcome.png
JmuRiz
Important question: /4 or /6?

Makes a huge difference in your options per dollar.
era vulgaris
Check your exact same thread in the FS parts forum. You've got a couple replies.
Beakster
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Sep 6 2015, 09:03 AM) *

Important question: /4 or /6?

Makes a huge difference in your options per dollar.

4 2.0
JmuRiz
Phew, there are typically some 2.0 SSI heat exchangers for sale in classifieds. Post a WTB ad and you'll find a set. If you need the other heater bits, I want to say I've seen some ads recently for flapper boxes and j tubes.
Mark Henry
It's a trade off.
Depends on the headers, but good headers make HP, you'll very likely lose HP with SSI's.
Stock engine, headers ballpark around 7 to 15 HP, which makes it the biggest bolt on power increase you can do.
But a gas heater or good exchangers (like SSI's) are the only proven methods for good heat.

Likely what I'll do on my /6 conversion is a diesel bunk heater from a truck and I'll add a small tank for the fuel.
porschetub
QUOTE(Beakster @ Sep 7 2015, 02:28 AM) *

The 914 I just bought has got a set of headers .. So No heat .. I need heat in the car .. Any Ideas on what I can put in or use .. Has any one put in a VW gas heater in there 914 ?? welcome.png

Option are;
1 - get a VW gas heater rebuilt so its safe.....expensive and still not that safe,
2 - get a good fabricator to box in your headers and use existing system.....still won't be very warm in Canada,
3 -purchase and fit a small motorhome diesel powered heater....very efficient,but where do you mount it.
4- Electric powered one....you would most likely need a separate battery ,wiring and a split charging system,again not an easy solution.
boxstr
Seat Heaters.
Craig at CAMP
Cracker
I have an acquaintance who did install an electric heater and it works great...I'll probably do the same eventually.

Tony
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 6 2015, 07:19 PM) *

I have an acquaintance who did install an electric heater and it works great...I'll probably do the same eventually.

Tony

I would be interested in the details. Especially current draw.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 6 2015, 09:19 PM) *

Tony

Maybe great in Atlanta.... rolleyes.gif
Cracker
Easy now...it can get down in the 20's (at times)! shades.gif

Tony

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 6 2015, 10:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 6 2015, 09:19 PM) *

Tony

Maybe great in Atlanta.... rolleyes.gif
mepstein
There's nothing like a good set of stock he's. Burn you out of the cabin heat.
saigon71
The stock heating system is excellent if you don't mind losing a few HP from dumping the headers.
Mike Bellis
I saw this attempt at heat on a car at Original Customs. Not sure what the finished product looks like but as is it looks like it would suck burnt oil smoke into the cabin.

Click to view attachment
gms
QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 7 2015, 07:35 AM) *

Easy now...it can get down in the 20's (at times)! shades.gif

av-943.gif

What about when it is colder than sweatshirt weather?
poke.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 7 2015, 07:54 AM) *

There's nothing like a good set of stock he's. Burn you out of the cabin heat.

agree.gif 100% a complete working stock heating system can bake you out of the car.
r_towle
Don't drive a 914 in the winter in Canada....buy a cheap winter car.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 7 2015, 12:00 PM) *

Not sure what the finished product looks like

bs.gif
Then maybe you should withhold from commenting on something you really know nothing about.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Sep 8 2015, 08:52 AM) *

bs.gif
Then maybe you should withhold from commenting on something you really know nothing about.

agree.gif
Not sure if that's an actual Tangerine heat exchanger in the pic or a copy that someone made themselves, but I've got a Tangerine heat exchanger on my car. It works great, and there are no fumes whatsoever in the cabin.
sean_v8_914
use an external oil cooler as a heater core or pay chris for his heat/header box. it works.
Cracker
Ok. Here's the scoop...he came across a truck stop (no, this isn't the beginning of a joke) and found they have great accessories. He has a 12v ceramic heater & a truck (12v) hair dryer plumbed for the defrost. He claims it will make you sweat eventually, very effective.

PS: I forgot...he powers these two on a 30 amp relay.

Tony

quote name='Kansas 914'
[/quote]
I would be interested in the details. Especially current draw.
[/quote]
76-914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Sep 8 2015, 05:52 AM) *

bs.gif

Chris, is that your design? How'd I miss this? It's something that was always in the back of my mind. I made one for a plane once . But, I really like your approach. Out of the box, no pun intended. thumb3d.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Sep 8 2015, 09:03 AM) *

use an external oil cooler as a heater core or pay chris for his heat/header box. it works.

Oil cooler for a heater is a World myth....the required temp. split for somewhere like Canada won.t happen Sean.

I should say for an aircooled motor.
porschetub
QUOTE(914_teener @ Sep 9 2015, 11:59 AM) *

QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Sep 8 2015, 09:03 AM) *

Oil cooler for a heater is a World myth....the required temp. split for somewhere like Canada won.t happen Sean.

I should say for an aircooled motor.

x2 no way agree.gif ,old wives tale for sure.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 8 2015, 07:48 PM) *

Chris, is that your design?

Yes.

Fully assembled
Click to view attachment
76-914
thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.