Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with Pilot bearing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfinegan
The PO has 2 pilot bearings installed, one in the flywheel and another in the end of the crank shaft. WTF is this a potential bind point that need s to be fixed or is this something else? I want to get this sealed up and back together this week end. I hope I do not need to order more parts?

Advice welcome....

-Robert
rfinegan
Flywheel...no felt washer? where does that go?

rfinegan
...I think the only negative , other then being wrong was there was no room for the felt washer under the large 5 hole washer (lock). How hard can it be to remove the extra bearing from the crank?

Well nothing worth wile comes easy, so this was is time well spent and is now removed and going back together @80 lbs
Dave_Darling
I believe that the pilot bearing in the crank is for VW applications. I don't remember where in there the felt washer goes, but it is supposed to be in there.

--DD
Mark Henry
The 914 crank is suppose to have a spacer in it, it keeps the pilot bearing from going into the crank. My bet is they lost or didn't have the spacer so they used a second bearing as a spacer. In the VW application (bus,411,412) the bearing goes in the crank and the hole in the flywheel is smaller.

The 914 pilot bearing goes in the flywheel, the more open/rounded end faces out towards the PP. It presses in a little too far to allow enough space for the felt washer. The thin 6 hole (5 bolt and one in the center) washer holds the felt washer in place.

In your pic the flywheel bearing isn't sunk in far enough, from that side it would sit a little proud.
The spacer can't be had new, maybe a 914/VW shop will have a used one.
rfinegan
Dave /Mark,

I pulled the spacer out of my old 1.8 and set the bearing at 0.125 as seen in repair manual. Everything went back together well.. Now I need a replacement . Any leads please drop me a message. IF someone has the dimensions on the spacer I can tool one up on the lathe
BEST
-Robert
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.