Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drilling for 10mm Roll Pins On New CV Joint.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tach
I ordered new VW type 1 lobro cv joints for my 914 but the 2 roll pin holes need to be bored out to 10mm X 20mm deep. I was wondering if I can just bore out the hole on my drill press with a 10mm drill bit or do I need to have the hole machine larger with a end mill by a machine shop?
914_teener
QUOTE(tach @ Sep 6 2015, 11:56 AM) *

I ordered new VW cv joints for my 914 but the 2 roll pin holes need to be bored out to 10mm X 20mm deep. I was wondering if I can just bore out the hole on my drill press with a 10mm drill bit or do I need to have the hole machine larger with a end mill by a machine shop?

A roll pin should be a press fit.

Don't understand your question. Is there no hole in the CV for a roll pin?
TheCabinetmaker
I have used a drill press with good results. Find the biggest drill bit that will fit in the hole. Chuck it in the drill press, insert it in the hole, then clamp the joint to the drill press table. Remove bit and install the ten mm bit. Your bigger hole will be centered. Set the depth of the bit before you drill.
tach
QUOTE(914_teener @ Sep 6 2015, 02:42 PM) *

I ordered new VW cv joints for my 914 but the 2 roll pin holes need to be bored out to 10mm X 20mm deep. I was wondering if I can just bore out the hole on my drill press with a 10mm drill bit or do I need to have the hole machine larger with a end mill by a machine shop?

A roll pin should be a press fit.

Don't understand your question. Is there no hole in the CV for a roll pin?

Using a type VW 1 GKN/LOEBRO CV Joint is about the only way to get new CV joint for a 914. GKN/LOEBRO type 1 VW CV joints are setup with 6 bolt holes. Two of the holes need to be sized to fit the roll pins. That is why I have to bore out the 2 holes for the pins.
tach
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Sep 6 2015, 02:48 PM) *

I have used a drill press with good results. Find the biggest drill bit that will fit in the hole. Chuck it in the drill press, insert it in the hole, then clamp the joint to the drill press table. Remove bit and install the ten mm bit. Your bigger hole will be centered. Set the depth of the bit before you drill.

Thank You
Mueller

I just used a drill press when I was doing them for a while.
TheCabinetmaker
BTW, please use all drill press safety procedures. Make sure your clamps are tight. Little oil couldn't hurt.
914Sixer
Complete new axles are available from Porsche. They are under $300 depending on which Porsche dealer you find on line.
Chris H.
FYI these are pre-drilled for 10mm roll pins and also have the lip machined in them for the 914/type 4 stub axle gasket. (Scroll down to the Type 1 CV Joints.)

Tangerine Type 1 CVs
Downunderman
Has anyone just drilled the two roll pin holes and flanges out to 10mm and added a couple of 10mm bolts?
914Mike
QUOTE(Downunderman @ Sep 7 2015, 12:18 PM) *

Has anyone just drilled the two roll pin holes and flanges out to 10mm and added a couple of 10mm bolts?

Not understanding what you mean. Drill the flange to take a 10mm bolt and then you have a CV joint with 6 8mm holes? Does not seem to help. I guess you could sleeve it. Seems simpler to drill the CV for the roll pins...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.