Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hi, im new to 914club
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Yoei66
Hi, Im new to the group, and 914 world as well. I purchased my first 914, a ‘75 1.8 with 76k miles, a few weeks ago. This car has never been wrecked, and has Porsche dealer service through 52k miles. This car also has all the orginal door dings! I’ve already learned a lot, but see that this group is the ultimate source of information on 914’s. The car I purchased is originally from Arkansas, and was shipped here to Oregon about three or four years ago. The original owner in AK gave it to his son in Oregon. The son is a mechanic, and replaced the clutch, and ran new brake lines.
The son then sold it to a Chevy guy, who tinkered with it, replaced the heater hoses, installed new shift bushings. Chevy car dude needed the space in his five car garage for a sweet ‘66 Le Mans project, this is where I come in. I was
unfortunate enough to blow the passenger side CV joint on my first day with the 914. However, the next weekend I was on the road again, with a rebuilt halfshaft. I’ve driven late model vehicles the past 15 years, which haven’t needed
anything other than oil changes. I have a feeling my days of not having to work on cars has now come to an end. I’ve since replaced the cracked front turn lenses with new euro’s, and replaced the exhaust with a Manta performance exhaust. There are a number of projects I plan on diving into with my new toy, and look forward to participating in the group. Special thanks to my local 914 wizard, Craig from Camp 914. Craig spend almost two hours with me last weekend looking over my car, and giving advice on things I need , and should do. Thanks Craig!!

Here goes my attempt to send a couple pics...
Joe Bruining
Portland, OR driving.gif
redshift
Hey Joe, welcome! beerchug.gif

If you break anything, you bought it! Don't sit on the good furniture, and make sure you wipe before sitting on the old stuff..

wink.gif

Miles
Yoei66
Lets try a picture again...
GWN7
Hello and welcome beerchug.gif

Nice car
Yoei66
Here's another...
redshift
Dood you suck, your car is nicer than mine.

mad.gif
Yoei66
Last Pic. I have to tend to my other hobby, Homebrewing, which includes drinking it!
415PB
Welcome, nice ride.
ThinAir
Welcome to the madhouse and to the addiction known as "owning a teener". You are right that your days of not working on cars are over, but you are gonna love every single scraped nuckle! We're glad to have you!
Midtowner
Welcome to the club! Hey, is that a Bajaj scooter? smile.gif
rick 918-S
Dooode! Plaid! wub.gif
Lou W
Welcome, great plaid interior beerchug.gif
airsix
Joe, welcome to the club! Nice teener! Oh, and regarding Miles... well, just don't take anything he writes personally. He has a hummor all his own.

-Ben M. (just up the river a ways)
Rhodes71/914
Hey welcome to the club fellow Oregonian. Another homebrewer as well, cool. Oh and AK is Alaska, AR it Arkansas. Sorry just a little pet-peve of mine.
Brando
Welcome aboard.

Your ride is sweet!
Hawktel
I like your car Joe. Its a nice looking 914. On the exterior anyway.

I'm going to be the one to say it. Plaid sucks. Its puke ugly, If I ever own a car with plaid in it, I want Miles to kick my ass for me.
barf.gif
TROJANMAN
big black bumpers rock ! rocking nana.gif
VegasRacer
Welcome to the club. Nice car. I hope you took notes on all the good advice you got from Craig. Whatever you do, only fix the things on you car that break. Don't start 'improving' it or you will never be able to stop.
Yoei66

Midtowner: Yes the scoot is a 2002 Bajaj, Made in India, is a four speed manual, four stroke, and it rocks up to 65 mph!

To all who like the plaid: I like it as well. Sorry Hawktel, but I had a good reaction when I saw it. It is is in such good shape that I had to remove the "hot wheels" logo seat covers at the first service station I came across, as a owner. I would send the seat covers to you, but they have already been donated to my friends 16 year old daughter for her '83 Chevette. I'll stick with the orginal, excellent shape, retro plaid seats in my 914, thanks

VegasRacer: I didn't take notes from Craig, but I'm lucky I live in the same Metro area. Camp 914 is about a 20 minute teener ride from my crib. As I said, I'm lucky to have Craig around, to talk to in Person. Sorry on the future plans, I've already planned on rebuilding the other halfshaft, have a fuel line replacement kit (I smell gas) on order, a vacuum line replacement kit ( these things are loose!), and 2.0 Fuchs reproduction wheels on order. From there, I'll start fixing things, as they break. Is being a perfectionist, and a 914 owner a bad thing?

Joe Bruining driving.gif
joea9146
Looks like a Nice car.... Good Luck, Have Fun amd Welcome.
redshift
Hi Joe, always nice to meet you, again...

boldblue.gif icon_bump.gif

M
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Welcome to this addiction, there is not a 12 step program, so I guess your hooked for ever. But home brew helps, also sending a Qt. to everyone on this board is mandatory. You start with me. Dave beer.gif beerchug.gif givemebeer.gif
riverman
Welcome to the club! If you ever drive through Canada, you have friends up here too.
ablose58
Welcome to the nuthouse biggrin.gif Good to see another pacnw dude on board smilie_pokal.gif PS nice teener smile.gif
mudfoot76
Welcome! The car looks great, and I think the plaid rocks biggrin.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
My first Porsche (and 914) was a '75 1.8L smilie_pokal.gif Loved that car until I slid into the retaining wall at the Portland airport dry.gif

Welcome!
Allan
Hello, welcome and nice to meet you. I think I left my kilt in that car. biggrin.gif
azbill
Are you sure you want to get involved with this crazy bunch. It is addicting once in you can’t get out it. Wlecome hav fun and learn alot.
rolleyes.gif
Bill
carreraguy
Welcome!! Its nice to have another plaid car in the Club!!
Lou W
Red Plaid, Yellow Plaid, Green Plaid, Blue.... Dr. Suess biggrin.gif
Bleyseng
Welcome Joe,

Sounds like you are in the early stages of DWD of which there is no cure. Poor Dirk (may he rest in peace) had to sell his car to have a cure.

Geoff
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE (Yoei66 @ Mar 3 2005, 09:58 PM)
The son is a mechanic,

Gosh I wish I had one of THOSE! laugh.gif

Nice teener Joe, welcome to THE 914club. clap.gif
Hawktel
QUOTE (Yoei66 @ Mar 4 2005, 12:50 AM)

To all who like the plaid: I like it as well. Sorry Hawktel, but I had a good reaction when I saw it. It is is in such good shape that I had to remove the "hot wheels" logo seat covers at the first service station I came across, as a owner. I would send the seat covers to you, but they have already been donated to my friends 16 year old daughter for her '83 Chevette. I'll stick with the orginal, excellent shape, retro plaid seats in my 914, thanks

Hey thanks for the offer of the old used Seat covers Joe.

Lol, Your going to fit right in.
red914
a 20 inute teener ride from CAMP914? you are soooo lucky. i hope my mom lets me go to camp this summer...

i am surprised that Craig didn't have a set of original fuchs alloys to sell you. the repros are ( i hear) heavier and not as strong. if he doesn't have them, i bet he knows where to get them; he seems to know where to find anything!

post more pics of your car, in the sunshine! those plaid seats are the best!
Gint
Looks like a pretty decent 914 to me. COngrats clap.gif
Rusty
Welcome... and nice car.

I love plaid. wub.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
morph
welcome to the club.nice to see another local owner.we are west of salem, smilie_pokal.gif nice car too
james
appearance & performance
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (Yoei66 @ Mar 4 2005, 12:50 AM)
Is being a perfectionist, and a 914 owner a bad thing?

Joe Bruining driving.gif

No but you better have some coin biggrin.gif
Yoei66
Attached are answers to a few questions, and requested pictures taken outdoors, instead of a dark garage. I did my
best to make sure the plaid seats were backbit, so nobody gets upset...

Red 914: I weighed the pros and cons of both, before I ordered the reproduction 2.0 Fuchs wheels last week. I did
bounce the idea off Craig during my visit to Camp 914 as well. I decided to go with the deal I swung with a local
tire/wheel source. The bottomline price was lower, and I don’t need to strip or polish anything. Perhaps I will be pu -
pu’ed for not adding the real thing, but the money saved will finance other 914 projects. I also do not plan on doing
any auto crossing or racing. Pics are attached.

Air cooled nut: I think I’ll stay away from the Portland airport with my 914.

Rhodes91/914 & VegasRacer: Good advice, you are correct. After my initial purchase, and new wheels, the budget
will be getting a little tighter. The line needs to be drawn, otherwise any 30 year old car could become a moneypit.
There is no 2.7 flat six project planned. I’m going to use this 914 as a simi-daily driver, and am pretty stoked with the
overall shape it is in already.

OK, its 68 degrees outside & sunny. The top is off, the 914 is freshly washed, and I’m going for a ride!

Yoei66 driving.gif
Yoei66
Next sunny pic
Yoei66
Last pic
Rhodes71/914
Nice car, my car came with the American Eagle Fuchs and they are just fine with me, have always loved the look of them.

Gawd isn't this weather bitchin. Drove mine with the top off on the way to work at noon today and I was warm, heat was even off.

Man I love this car!!!

BTW mines red too.

Mrs. K
wink.gif Welcome to the mayhem here! Lots of fun and good advice too! biggrin.gif

Lisa cool.gif
markb
Welcome! You might want to start upping production on the brewing. If ya work on these things very much, it'll go fast. wink.gif

BTW: Love the red plaid!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.