Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oversteer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DavidSweden
I have a 76 car and have installed 911 front struts and a after market weltmeister front sway bar.
The car has a lot of oversteer, whats would cause this and how do I get rid of it? I should mention that I did the wheel alignment myself, can this be the cause?

Thanks
anderssj
Hi!

In most cases, using a front bar with no rear bar will cause understeer. One can use a front bar without a rear bar and adjust the car's overall balance by increasing the stiffness of the rear springs.

Alignment could be a factor; rear toe-in/out setting has a major influence on handling (so does front toe-in/out for that matter).

I'm sure others will chime in with more detail.

Hope this helps!

Steve A-
anderssj
sorry, duplicate post
Mblizzard
agree.gif Had tons of under steer after adding front sway bar. Goin to Koni adjustable so on rear and adding stiffer rear springs did the trick. Now just a slight tendency to over steer.
EdwardBlume
Get adjustable rear springs and corner balance the car.
DavidSweden
QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 7 2015, 04:55 AM) *

Do you mean coil overs?
r_towle
When you come into a corner does the rear end want to swing out, or does the front end want to go straight and skid?
Steve
Oversteer? Rear end comes around in a corner? With no rear sway bar. I would first get it professionally aligned and corner balanced. Otherwise it could be springs to big in the rear or tire mismatch. For instance if all four tires are the same size but if the tires are stickier in the front, the rear will come loose first. I made this mistake years ago by accident.
Bigger rear tires will also help with oversteer. A bigger motor can also create throttle induced oversteer. For instance too much throttle in a corner will break the rear tires loose.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Sep 7 2015, 08:06 AM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 7 2015, 04:55 AM) *

Do you mean coil overs?

Yes. I have Eibach springs and adjustable perches.
EdwardBlume
I agree with having the car corner balanced first though. You may be able to get it closer with the right shocks.

I've also "heard" that the front is affected by the rear setup / sway bar, and the rear by the front. Take it to someone who can balance the two and corner balance the car. A 50 /50 914 with some slight toe in is awesome!
Krieger
If you have over steer soften the rear springs.
stugray
This might sound stupid, but:

Make sure your front bushings are not binding.
After driving the car for a while, do you hear a knocking sound coming from the front as you drive over bumps?
My car sounded like I had a front Trunk Monkey with a ballpeen hammer.

And EVERY time I spun the car on the track it was from the ass end coming out.
Coincidentally soon after hearing the knocking starting.

When I jacked up the car the right front wheel STAYED UP IN THE WHEELWELL because the bushings were binding so bad.
matthepcat
^^ agree ^^ my car transformed when I installed grease fittings to lubricate the bushings. This typically would only apply to non rubber bushing applications.
DavidSweden
QUOTE(stugray @ Sep 7 2015, 10:23 AM) *

After driving the car for a while, do you hear a knocking sound coming from the front as you drive over bumps?

When I jacked up the car the right front wheel STAYED UP IN THE WHEELWELL because the bushings were binding so bad.

I have installed the Elephant rubber bushings, they are pretty stiff
r_towle
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Sep 7 2015, 03:36 PM) *

QUOTE(stugray @ Sep 7 2015, 10:23 AM) *

I have installed the Elephant rubber bushings, they are pretty stiff

Is the rear end coming out?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.