Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: De chromed 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Smallblockbug
Just looking for pics for now. Unless there is a discussion already started on it. Im just a fan of clean lines and finding straight trim is always fun. I know I could just strip and paint the trim but I'm actually looking for completely removed trim and smoothed out.
sb914
Click to view attachment
boxsterfan
Black looks really mean and clean without the chrome. Not sure an all Blue or Yellow would have the same effect.
Cairo94507
That is one of my all time favorite 914's.
sb914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 7 2015, 05:59 PM) *

That is one of my all time favorite 914's.

agree.gif
Andyrew
Here is what I have.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Bunch of pics but it gives you an idea...
Andyrew
Not for the faint of heart..

Probably a good 40 hours went into the rear trim removal alone. I think I rewelded it about 4 times.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1427889
matthepcat
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 7 2015, 10:17 PM) *

Probably a good 40 hours went into the rear trim removal alone. I think I rewelded it about 4 times.

^^ Wow ^^ I do like the look, but damn.

What is under the chrome that takes so much work?
Smallblockbug
Thanks for the pics. Looks easy enough. Not afraid of custom work at all. Just sold my Vw rabbit that I set up to fit on a 62 bug chassis.
mepstein
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Sep 8 2015, 02:51 AM) *

you need to blend and smooth the pinchweld seam. jpstein did it on his auto x car as well. I like the look but I'm sure its a lot of work. The silver v8 with the big shark opening in the front had it as well.
GermermanCarGuy
Found this in my photo file (not mine).Click to view attachment
nein14
Click to view attachment
Andyrew
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 8 2015, 04:04 AM) *

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Sep 8 2015, 02:51 AM) *

you need to blend and smooth the pinchweld seam. jpstein did it on his auto x car as well. I like the look but I'm sure its a lot of work. The silver v8 with the big shark opening in the front had it as well.

Its three layers of metal at the pinch weld for some reason, If you just grind the pinch weld it separates and can warp. This is why I basically did this an inch at a time and worked closer and closer till It was right. 4 years and only a thin layer of glaze and not a crack.

One thing to note, the targa top seal no longer has anything to seal against.
sean_v8_914
the targa's rear seal rides on that trim pc. if you want your top to seal you need to build that back up
DBCooper
QUOTE(Smallblockbug @ Sep 8 2015, 04:01 AM) *
Just sold my Vw rabbit that I set up to fit on a 62 bug chassis.

What? I'm sorry, I can't get an image to form in my mind of that.

Chris H.
agree.gif You can't just throw that out there with no pics! biggrin.gif C'mon man! We love that kind of stuff! You're gonna fit in well here BTW beerchug.gif .

Hey I'm remembering another black car with blacked out trim that was posted recently. Flares...5 lug Fuchs I think...it was REALLY nice. Anyone know the one I'm talking about?
Root_Werks
Was never a big fan of the chrome trim on most 914's. If you use the correct paint, it seemed to hold up really well. I scuffed, used an etch primer and some trim paint from a body shop on a number of 914's. I thought they usually turned out pretty nice.

Smallblockbug
Same wheelbase.
Smallblockbug
I was working on it last year but lost interest in it totally. Sold it to a buddy of mine.
Smallblockbug
Full build till I stopped working on it.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bigguy/lib.../Rabbit%20build
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(GermermanCarGuy @ Sep 8 2015, 09:48 AM) *

Found this in my photo file (not mine).Click to view attachment

This was a fashion trend in the late 70's & early 80's. Over the years, I watched the factory dechroming of VW's & Chevy's during this time period, involving mirrors, door handles, bumpers, window trim, etc... Probably other manufacturers as well but I remember those 2 the most. I liked it & always thought chrome was way too 1950's for my taste. Had the 914 continued production, I think it would have been dechromed as the one above is.
Smallblockbug
The seal panel on the roof might not be a problem either with the chrome removed as I might be doing a steel roof build on it as well. Just trying to scrounge money from sales. That's why I'm perusing for photos and such of things I have planned.
Chris H.
Well it looks like you have the guts to go for a steel roof based on that last project! Pretty cool idea. Have you seen this thread yet?

Root Werks Steel Roof

Best step by step guide we have here. Not an easy task but it sure looks good when it's done.
Smallblockbug
Not as of yet. Thanks for the link. Seems simple as well. Just time.
effutuo101
A couple in blue...
One Phoenix red (grey trim)
And one in green
There are a lot more out there
Geezer914
Guards red.Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.