Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bleyseng, hows the tranny?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisReale
Figure/fix anything? smash.gif
Lawrence
What happened? Did I miss a thread? chatsmiley.gif

-Rusty
Bleyseng
The tranny makes noise like a "52 GMC pickup in Granny low" in 1st, 2nd gear.
I wasgonna rip it out on Friday, but the partsrunner truck parking brakes crapped out. So I thought I'll adjust those first then do the 914. Well, I finished completely rebuilding the trucks rear brakes with new shoes and drums by 1:00PM on Saturday.
I drove the 914 all weekend in the 88 degree weather and on Saturday Monique and I drove around topless to keep cool. You know its hot when a Surinamer (Monique) is going "Damn, its hot today!" I like to eat cold food and drink cold beer, she likes hot and spicey food when its hot. I was good, I drank lots of cold beer to wash down the hot and spicey food. tongue.gif

Geoff
I came home early to start pulling the tranny out today.
Bleyseng
I have gotten this far atleast this afternoon.
Carrera916
ohmy.gif ouch!

vise grip on the splined input shaft??

what did you find? toothless dog teeth?

j
MarkV
Bearing in the intermediate plate? You weren't using the pipe wrench in there were you? nuke.gif nuke.gif
MarkV
Vise grips, pipe wrench, might as well leave a box of platinum tipped spark plugs in the photo too. mueba.gif
Bleyseng
I wuz just holding or spinning it with the vice grips. Blair was welding something on his GTI there too. No, actually this tranny doesn't look too bad. I got for free 3 years ago and I opened it up for practice and to see if it had good bearings which is does. The dog teeth on 1st and 2nd aren't too bad, ie still have good points on them. It is a tailshifter without too many miles on it.
I am thinking of doing the 5th to 3rd swap to make my tranny a close ratio.
I have replaced the 1st gear synchos before but this is the first time tearing into one.
Geoff
ChrisReale
If you are successful with the 5th to 3rd swap, lets do mine next! w00t.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.