Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Targa chrome removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sea Dragon 914
It's been a very long time since I did this. How do you remove the rear chrome trim piece? Do you pry from the top or bottom? Suggestion of what to use (putty knife?).

Thanks,

SD
ConeDodger
Held in with clips. Just keep pulling without pulling so hard you bend it... sad.gif
PanelBilly
If you're talking about the one that curves down, there is a nut ho;ding in on under the rear fender
mepstein
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Sep 8 2015, 12:38 AM) *

If you're talking about the one that curves down, there is a nut ho;ding in on under the rear fender

I think the nut is 8mm
Sea Dragon 914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 8 2015, 04:12 AM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Sep 8 2015, 12:38 AM) *

I think the nut is 8mm

No, it's the long horizontal one. I recall pulling on it or gently prying it off.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Sea Dragon 914 @ Sep 8 2015, 09:37 AM) *

No, it's the long horizontal one. I recall pulling on it or gently prying it off.

agree.gif

3 clips holding it
whitetwinturbo
...........nice if we could see a picture of location of 3 clips biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Sep 8 2015, 12:00 PM) *

...........nice if we could see a picture of location of 3 clips biggrin.gif

They are floating clips. So the location could be anywhere after all these years. They should be spaced evenly for reinstall but don't be shocked if they're all right next to each other... blink.gif
76-914
And don't be surprised if one shoots off into a deep black hole or is broken. IIRC, Sierra Madre sells these clips.
76-914
And don't be surprised if one shoots off into a deep black hole or is broken. IIRC, Sierra Madre sells these clips.
TargaToy
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 8 2015, 06:39 PM) *

And don't be surprised if one shoots off into a deep black hole or is broken.

This would describe the lucky magic that takes place inside my garage.
rhodyguy
the 2 outside clips are roughly 3 1/2-4" from the ends and the 3rd looks centered judging from the rust stain witness marks.
AZ914
Once I had the side curved pieces off (I think), I was able to slide the long horizontal one off one end as the clips move.
ice cold
I slid mine sideways to clear the clips, worked fine, no damage.
Sea Dragon 914
QUOTE(ice cold @ Sep 9 2015, 05:55 PM) *

I slid mine sideways to clear the clips, worked fine, no damage.

Good tip. I did it the hard way. Worked from one end prying gently with a flathead screwdriver. Got it off without damaging it. Sounds like your way is much easier and I"ll make a note of it so when I do this again in 15 years, it will be easier and less stressful.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.