Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jacking the rear up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BeemerSteve
Hello,

I'm going to do some service under my 914 and was wondering the safest possible place to jack the car up in the center so I can put jack stands on the corners.

I'm still learning again after thirty years away from the model. Thanks!!

Steve
EdwardBlume
I jack mine up using the donuts and place 8x8s under the tires.
EdwardBlume
I've also jacked under the front engine mounts but not for very long.
stugray
I jack under the donuts and put jackstands under the rear trailing arms.

Otherwise you can put boards from front-back in a small channel along the "longs" and support under that.
I have put jackstands directly under the donuts with softeners, but unless you have some of those nice stand-top caps to keep the donut centered, it just never seemed stable enough.
I used old shoes...:0

Another tip I have used is that once you get the car way up on stands, you can put two wheels (with tires) stacked under the car "just in case".
r_towle
You can also jack up the trailing arm at the shock and put stands under the donuts.
Jeffs9146
This is how I do mine.
Mark Henry
I use a 2-post car lift biggrin.gif
I only lift from the donuts, I use hockey pucks so I don't scratch anything.
BeemerSteve
Thanks all! It's given me more food for thought.
BeemerSteve
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 8 2015, 05:42 PM) *

I use a 2-post car lift biggrin.gif
I only lift from the donuts, I use hockey pucks so I don't scratch anything.

I gave my 2-post up for my sanity after the divorce. biggrin.gif
GeorgeRud
Too old and lazy for jack stands anymore! Just align the arms with the four donuts in the corners.Click to view attachment
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Sep 8 2015, 08:08 PM) *

Too old and lazy for jack stands anymore! Just align the arms with the four donuts in the corners.Click to view attachment

Looks good George!
EdwardBlume
That lift is really cool. Does it lock in place when its up? What's it like pulling a motor?
theleschyouknow
I jack it up from the center of the engine bar and put stands on the donuts for the rear if I am doing all four off the ground I go from the suspension "knuckle" just under and back from the front bumper, then stands under the front donuts
think I read here or somewhere those were safe spots
beerchug.gif
cjl
Dave_Darling
The motor mount bar on a sideshift 914 is held from moving upward by a total of four M8 bolts. (Two on each rubber outboard mount.) Not what I would trust to hold the whole weight of the car. It does work, but I figure using that is just asking for trouble.

You may be able to put the saddle of the jack under the bottom of the trailing arm. If you have a rather tall jack, you may be able to lift on the outboard pivot for the trailing arm.

You can also lift on the donut, and put a jack stand under the trailing arm pivot. Assuming that gets the car high enough for your purposes.

You can even use the stock jack point, if yours isn't too badly rusted...

--DD
whitetwinturbo
............only for the paranoid:

Click to view attachment

Dual setup using Walmart el cheapo RV "stabilizer".

I cut a donut on both sides of scrap 2x4 to catch the 'donut' on one side and the tension disk on the stabilizer.

Click to view attachment

Regular jack stand sharing weight on engine support crossbar.

Click to view attachment
whitetwinturbo
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Sep 9 2015, 10:04 AM) *

............only for the paranoid:

Click to view attachment

Dual setup using Walmart el cheapo RV "stabilizer".

I cut a donut on both sides of scrap 2x4 to catch the 'donut' on one side and the tension disk on the stabilizer.

Click to view attachment

Regular jack stand sharing weight on engine support crossbar.

Click to view attachment

headbang.gif oops.....pushed attach too hard WTF.gif
whitetwinturbo
beer.gif

........you get the idea wacko.gif

Click to view attachment
yeahmag
At times and in a pinch I've used the trans as a jack point. Not that I recommend it...
Chris Pincetich
Pelican sells a plate that you insert into the standard, middle jack point and then you slide your floor jack under that and go for it. That's what I use. I attached a small piece of wood 2x4 to the metal circle plate that the floor jack hits so that my floor jack can bite into it instead of having the "slippery" metal to metal. beerchug.gif

My problem now is my 10 year old Craftsman floor jack no longer raises the car as high: poor hydraulics/leaky oil or something! Anybody know how to fix an old jack confused24.gif
PlaysWithCars
Original poster - I also use the plate that fits in the jack post on the rocker panel then support the car on jack stands under rear trailing arm at the pivot end where it attaches to the chassis.

Chris - curious what responses you get to this question. I recently retire a floor jack for the same problem. I wasn't able to find a cost effective rebuild solution and ended up replacing it with a jack from HF when they had their Labor Day sale.
QUOTE(Chris Pincetich @ Sep 10 2015, 01:41 PM) *

My problem now is my 10 year old Craftsman floor jack no longer raises the car as high: poor hydraulics/leaky oil or something! Anybody know how to fix an old jack confused24.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.