Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grease wheel bearings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914guy
Does anyone have a procedure to grease the wheel bearings? Does it involve removing the caliper, or is there a way to work around having to do that?

Thanks,
~Eric
Mueller
You can only service the smaller outer bearing if you do not remove the caliper. I'd just remove the caliper and get them both out of the way.

Wear gloves!!! That grease is nasty wacko.gif
Lawrence
A guy nicknamed as Dirty Dan used to sell some very nice blue CV/bearing grease. I haven't heard from him lately, but I bought two quarts, and it was good stuff.

-Rusty
Time for dinner chowtime.gif
Bleyseng
Take everything apart and clean all the old grease out. Install with new grease ( I like that red stuff I found) and seals. How old are the bearings? I just as soon replace them if I don't know how old they are since they are cheap.
Seems like most 914's front wheel bearings are set too loose or worn out. They shouldn't go clunk when you push/pull on the tire.

Geoff calvin.gif smash.gif
Lawrence
Like the new smilies, Geoff? smoke.gif
MarkV
bootyshake.gif
Lawrence
Mark,

That one is special for Zois. smoke.gif
Bleyseng
Yeah stones.gif , I just saw them!
lol3.gif geoff
Aaron Cox
when i did new rotors, i bough new bearings from FLAPS. used castrol wheel bearing grease. chatsmiley.gif

i like the new smilies
tod914
what exactley are races? I understand they are in the hub and the wheel bearings pop into them???
Do they need to be replaced when u do wheel bearings? And do the kits include them?
914Timo
Do they need to be replaced when u do wheel bearings? And do the kits include them?

When you do bearings..... oh, I am not sure if I understand, but if you are going to grease them, you dont need to remove them. If you are going to chance the bearings, you have to chance them.

The bearing consist of two rings and balls or rollers between them. The races are the outter ring of the bearing. I hope someone can explain better what the races are.

Kits usually do include them.
tod914
That makes alittle more sence. I was confused when I read that in the book. The shop book was saying that the races need to be pressed on by a shop. Or is it easy enough to do yourself?? Im totally ignorant on this so bear with me.
Part Pricer
You thought you were confused before...we're just getting started.

Timo is right, the race is the outer ring of the bearing. This is the part that gets seating into the rotor. Can you do it yourself? Sure, with the proper tools and patience.

If you look in the Haynes manual, it tells you to install the races using a "soft drift". When I read that I thought, "WTF is a drift and where do I find a soft one?" Well, when Chris and I did my bearings, he had a piece of aluminium pipe that was the same size as the race. The idea is that you want to use something that is softer than the race to push it into place so that you don't damage the race itself. A couple of smacks on the aluminum pipe with a mallet and the race was in place.

If you've got a shop nearby, it might be worth a couple of bucks to take the rotors and races to them to have them pressed in. You could probably just go around to the side door with a six-pack in hand and get them done real quickly.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jun 9 2003, 02:47 PM)
A guy nicknamed as Dirty Dan used to sell some very nice blue CV/bearing grease. I haven't heard from him lately ...

Dan Petchel - posts to the 914 Rennlist group from time to time, i'm sure you'll find something from him in the archives. New Jersey area, not too far from me, actually. reputed to be one of the better Targa top restorers, i may have to look him up one of these years ...
tryan
leslie tools makes a pretty cool aparatus for greasing up a bearing, but a blob in your palm works just as well. be sure to remove all the old grease from the hub. mixing different types is a no-no. just take a good look at the old races. if they are not pitted or blued, leave them alone.

if you are going to reuse your old bearings, clean them and dry them. put a golf ball size blob in your left hand. scrap the opened/large side of the bearing across the edge of the grease to push it into the cage. when fresh grease come out of every hole you are done.
cgnj
Dan Petchel - posts to the 914 Rennlist group

I've met Dan. Friendly and knowlegeable. I stopped by his house Saturday and gave him some small parts for his 73 restoration (neve know when you'll need a favor). He is also having a six prepped for racing. Warning: A visit to his house will result in a serious case of car, tool, and part envy.

Carlos
tod914
Does he still have that green 6 sitting in his garage?
I was down there 3 years ago for some parts. Nice little setup he has there.
cgnj
Tod,

That's the car that being prepped.

Carlos
GWN7
When repacking bearings, take them out, wipe off the old grease with rags, hub too. Wash the bearing and hub with solvent. About 1" of solvent in a old coffee can & paint brush will do. let dry, do not use air to blow them dry, just pat and shake in rags. Check for "Blueing" or wear spots. If found, replace. Or load into this gizzmo (about $6 FLAPS).
tod914
what is that device that the bearing packer attaches too?
Aaron Cox
a grease gun
tryan
i have one of those tools, but still prefer the palm method. see if this helps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.