Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: 747 take off video
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
Whoo! About 1/3 of the way through a bird flys from left to right right in front of all 4 engines.. lucky bird! smile.gif
Elliot_Cannon
I flew a 747 for 4 years for UPS. It is about the nicest flying airplane I've ever flown. It's like flying a giant Beechcraft. I'm flying the MD11 now that hand flies like a 1955 Ford.
Cheers, Elliot
URY914
I found it from a link on Airliner.net
Great site and I'm not even a pilot.

Elliot, didn't you say the AirBus planes are POS?

Paul
Joe Bob
Sounds like they were in a restaurant at the end of the runway....

AirBus....French..... cool_shades.gif
SGB
rolleyes.gif
There is a park on the north edge of the runways at Reagan Intl in DC where you can see the planes on approach. They clear your head by about 100 ft. It is so close, you can tell what color hair the pilot has and feel the compression wave just after it passes over. Them big ole things are rolling all around (pitch & yaw wise) swinging down into the landing pattern. As a pilot, do you "feel" the ends of the wings and the landing gear, like in a car, or do you just follow the screens?
URY914
Here's a nice one. St Martin Airport.
URY914
Same airport. I mispelled it above. It is St. Maarten, Maho Beach.
This is no 747 but I'd say he's a little too low....whata think? sad.gif

aylanco
Photo Shop??

I don't see any shadows. confused24.gif
URY914
QUOTE (aylanco @ Mar 4 2005, 12:13 PM)
Photo Shop??

I don't see any shadows. confused24.gif

No Photoshop here. See the shadow in this one. ohmy.gif
URY914
Here is one from the condo balcony on the other side.
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE (URY914 @ Mar 4 2005, 12:38 PM)
I found it from a link on Airliner.net
Great site and I'm not even a pilot.

Elliot, didn't you say the AirBus planes are POS?

Paul

I've never flown an Airbus (and don't plan to) but I don't know anyone I have talked to that like it. IMHO a POS. The MD11 was built by McDonald Douglas. Not a POS but not as nice as the "Whale". Those St. Maarten pics by the way are real. There was a story about a guy who threw his little dog in the air behind a 747 that was taking off. The jet blast blew the dog out into the ocean. Before anyone gets too upset it was reported the dog swam back to his owner looking for more fun! I gotta get down there some day just to watch the planes.
Cheers, Elliot
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ Mar 4 2005, 02:26 PM)
I flew a 747 for 4 years for UPS.

so now i've gotta ask - do you know Andy 'Sleeve' Dulay ?
aylanco
QUOTE (URY914 @ Mar 4 2005, 12:21 PM)
QUOTE (aylanco @ Mar 4 2005, 12:13 PM)
Photo Shop??

I don't see any shadows.    :confused:

No Photoshop here. See the shadow in this one. ohmy.gif

Yikes!!

I take that back. Great photos!! aktion035.gif
azbill
That brought back a some memories. Work at Boeing as a "Tool Engineer" supervised the construction of the a the jig that put togeather the 46 section body panels. the largest part of the plane. Was there for the first five or six planes attended the first take off, watched number 2 being totally destroyed by flexing and internial pressure. The days when I didn't see the sun for months at a time.
davep
QUOTE (azbill @ Mar 4 2005, 01:12 PM)
watched number 2 being totally destroyed by flexing and internial pressure.

Could you elaborate on this please.
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Mar 4 2005, 01:48 PM)
QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ Mar 4 2005, 02:26 PM)
I flew a 747 for 4 years for UPS.

so now i've gotta ask - do you know Andy 'Sleeve' Dulay ?

I know Andy. Not real well but I know him
Elliot
azbill
In a separate work area stress meaters were installed over the complete body, wings and tail surfaces. Cargo nets were put over the body to control flying parts. The would pressureize the cabin over and over again till the rivets and windows would start to pop. That's the pressure test.

At the tips of the wings cables were attached and the wings would flexed up and down until they failed broke off - main wing spar broke or what ever. based on the information mods would be made build a larger or smaller aircarft, ie 747-200SP the long range version or a stretched cargo version. Hope this helps it was a long time ago I have forgotten alot of the terminology(sp?).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.