Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine ID
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74ravenna
Is there a way to look at a VIN and determine what the original motor was?

Thanks
Steve
JeffBowlsby
No. If you still have the label on the engine bay drivers sidewall, the engine size but not the SN is indicated. Only way to get the orig engine SN is to get the COA.
74ravenna
Thanks Jeff.

Steve
Dave_Darling
There is very little correlation between VIN and engine type.

If the VIN starts with "914", then the original engine was a 1991cc six-cylinder.

If the VIN starts with "47029", "47129", or "47229", the original engine was a 1.7 liter four-banger. That's because all 70-72 914-4s had 1.7 engines.

If the VIN starts with "473", the original engine was either a 1.7 or a 2.0 four.

If it starts with "474", or "475", the engine was either a 1.8 or a 2.0.

If it starts with "476", it was almost certainly a 2.0, though there have been a very few reports over the years of 1.8 motors being delivered in 76 model-year 914s. I'm not sure if those are trustworthy, though.

--DD
Highland
After reading all the threads on COA accuracy and completeness for the cost I got cheap and jut called 800-porsche to see what information I could get.

I gave them my VIN, e-mailed my registration to prove I owned the car, and a day later received a voice mail with my matching engine number. They also gave me the original dealer name. I'm not sure of accuracy, but it was free.

I just did this 2 day ago and got the voicemail yesteraday, so this is a recent service.
74ravenna
Thanks all for the input. Its always great when asking questions on this forum.

Thanks again.
Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.