Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grinding in 1st and reverse
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BfloRandy
Hello!

Noticed another fun new issue the other day...
After the car gets warmed up, I get a little bit of grinding going into both first and reverse. Doesn't happen when cold. Doesn't do it in 2-5. It's not horrible (yet) but it certainly is annoying.

I've gathered from searching other posts that I may need to adjust my linkage. As it happens, I plan on installing the Weltmeister short kit this afternoon. Think I'm on the right track? If so, any tips on adjustments would be appreciated.

Thanks!
-Randy
Bruce Hinds
Sounds like a clutch adjustment to me. As the cable gets older it can stretch slightly.

If you can't get a good adjustment, check the tube the cable runs through where it attaches to the firewall. That can work it's way loose so you just can't get a good adjustment. Other places through the tunnel where it spot welded tend to work loose too.
ThePaintedMan
agree.gif Start with tightening the clutch adjuster nuts a couple turns.

Also, consider whether the trans fluid has been changed recently, or ever. The good Dr. Evil, our resident transmission expert suggests using 75w-90 "dino" oil - not Mobil 1 or other synthetic. Some people like Swepco, but I use the cheap stuff from WalMart, and it works great for me.

The short shift kit has nothing to do with how well the car shifts. Only the length of the throw that you, the driver feels. Some think it can actually exacerbate other problems like a mis-adjusted cable, worn bushings, etc.
rhodyguy
agree.gif replace the bushings. ALL of them! If you run out of threads on the cable add a spacer or washers. Before engaging r&1st put it in 2nd first. Double nutting the cable transmission end helps ensure you maintain the correct cable tension.
BfloRandy
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Sep 10 2015, 12:27 PM) *

agree.gif Start with tightening the clutch adjuster nuts a couple turns.

Also, consider whether the trans fluid has been changed recently, or ever. The good Dr. Evil, our resident transmission expert suggests using 75w-90 "dino" oil - not Mobil 1 or other synthetic. Some people like Swepco, but I use the cheap stuff from WalMart, and it works great for me.

The short shift kit has nothing to do with how well the car shifts. Only the length of the throw that you, the driver feels. Some think it can actually exacerbate other problems like a mis-adjusted cable, worn bushings, etc.

I've been planning on replacing the shifter since last fall, when the original lever snapped off at the ball. Had it welded, all is good, but had already ordered the short shift kit in case the thing wasn't weldable. Just figured that while I'm in there replacing it, I might want to adjust the linkage. 1st is a little close to my knee...

I have not changed the tranny fluid. Perhaps it's low? Where the heck do you check it? confused24.gif Never saw a dipstick for it, feeling kinda dumb for not investigating!

IIRC, the last time I had the car on a lift, the cable had a boatload of things (spacers, nuts, etc) on the free end of it to get it to fit. Also, the clutch doesn't engage until the pedal is almost on the floor. (That's not a new thing, been that way since I got her.) I'm thinking new cable, as well as bushings. I'll look in the tunnel before I order them, to check the tube as well.
Bob L.
Open the fill plug on the passenger side of the tranny, stick your finger in. there should be fluid up to the bottom of the fill hole. Add some until it just starts dripping out. Make sure you can open the fill plug before you drain it.
Dave_Darling
Make sure the car is at least close to level (both fore-and-aft and side-to-side) when you're checking. I killed a Honda transmission by forgetting that and leaving it chronically under-filled...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.