Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coronado Island speed week
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
effutuo101
Just checking!
I will be going for at least 1 day.
http://www.svra.com/events/2015-coronado-speed-festival/

Tom_T
I'll be there for Sat (maybe Sun.), Dave/toolguy usually goes for Sun. (race finals).

I've been going a few years now & it's a great event - open pits, 1-2 Navy Ships open for tour, Mini Airshow about midday Sat (Sun?), multi-marque car show + clubs' corrals, good food, stuff for kids, Auto test drives by BMW & Jag as sponsoring makers (Porsche, BMW, Audi & VW have all done them recently too), etc., etc.! Well worth $25 day or $35 weekend pass (also good for Fri).

Last year I had the privilege to let my long time since HS days buddy (late `60's, Dinosaur Age biggrin.gif ) use my corral pass to drive his `99 Mustang Conv. into their corral (don't tell we swapped ars/clubs!), & he got to do a Feature Car 60th Anniversary Lap on the track. Mike was thrilled to drive his DD 'Stang on the track! piratenanner.gif

Corral passes are available thru PCA-SD & BMW & others on their list (free, with your own entry ticket cost).

PCA-SDR has a great hospitality tent with great food/drinks & display cars right up on the track near the start/finish.

Fun, fun, fun, `til Daddy took the _________ away! < you fill in your own blank!

EDIT - more info!

Speedfest info & tickets:
https://www.fleetweeksandiego.org/events/fl...-speed-festival

Car Clubs/Corral Passes:
Contact directly to PCA-SDR, BMW-CCA-SD, or one of the other car clubs participating there.

Car Show Entry (not a PCA show):
https://www.fleetweeksandiego.org/events/fl...tival/car-show/

Also for another unrelated but fun nearby car event - Friday eve/nite is the Escondido "Cruisin Grand" Event:
http://cruisingrand.com/events/calendar/upcoming

IIRC - PCA-SDR was asked to line up some display Porsches for their usually all American pre-73 line-up for last Friday 9/4, but check with Mike/cuda911 on that, as no pix from it are up yet at this link from past events....
http://cruisingrand.com/events/calendar/past

Nobody really runs anyone I've seen there in Euro Cars along Grand, but you won't get into the special competition areas on the side streets.

However - idea.gif - I'm thinking that those with the Detroit V8 conversion 914s may be able to go anywhere & enter anything, since stuff like the Ford V8 powered Iti DiTomaso Panteras & similar Euro/Detroit Power imports are allowed & featured & enter in the car shows! shades.gif

IIRC the Pantera Club is even one of the Clubs at Corral!

IIRC El Cajon has their own similar one Fri. nite too - Dave/toolguy will know.

Be there or be square! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
Please give them the El Cajon event info Dave, since I see you lookin down there! biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
toolguy
El Cajon has it's own local Wednesday cruise night and every week has it's own theme. . on Sept 30th Main Street is closed off to traffic . . That night it's "Thunder Night", which I expect will be open header dragsters and such.

As far as the Coronado Speed Weekend, I'll be there on my usual Sunday. . . Saturday is by class practice laps all day. Sunday morning until noon is last practice opportunity and after lunch it's wheel to wheel, 10 lap races by class. . everything from the 1920 race cars to vintage CanAm will be there.
Usually over around 4-5. . tons of free parking but expect to have a hike to get to the gates. Purchase tickets in advance on line.

Too late to get a Corral Pass, deadline is Sept 12. by mail only. .

SDR Website info here
http://www.pcasdr.net/2013/?events=coronad...he-of-san-diego
brant
I've raced it a few times
but the sanctioning body has changed hands now from HMSA to SVRA
so its going to be a bit different and interesting for the drivers
some car change over would be expected too
some hurt feelings in all of the changes

decided to skip and head up to the CSRG race at Sonoma instead this year.
Yahmann
I'll be there. I'm not driving my 914 down from LA as the trans is out.

I'll be racing a Ginetta G4 - Yellow car #4 in group 8. Come find me in the paddock....normally a bunch of snap-on easy ups define the pit spot. There is some great video of previous Coronado races on YouTube search "ginetta Coronado"

Jeff Kline
jsh
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Sep 10 2015, 09:23 AM) *

Just checking!
I will be going for at least 1 day.
http://www.svra.com/events/2015-coronado-speed-festival/

I willl be in the corral with my 68 VW both days. MY 914 is a work in progress and not show ready. Hope to see all of you.
Tom_T
QUOTE(jsh @ Sep 10 2015, 04:47 PM) *

I willl be in the corral with my 68 VW both days. MY 914 is a work in progress and not show ready. Hope to see all of you.

Under which club did you get your VW in?? confused24.gif

I've wanted to take our 88 Westy, but haven't found a club which applies to WBX Vanagons! sad.gif

TIA beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Larmo63
We brought an Abarth Carerra to that race a couple times a few years ago, what an adventure.
Cuda911
I will be in Las Vegas that weekend for the Red Rock concours, so can't attend Coronado this year.

I have one free corral pass for Coronado. If anyone wants it, send me your address.

The only stipulation is that you must arrive in a Porsche.

Tom_T
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Sep 11 2015, 07:38 AM) *

I will be in Las Vegas that weekend for the Red Rock concours, so can't attend Coronado this year.

I have one free corral pass for Coronado. If anyone wants it, send me your address.

The only stipulation is that you must arrive in a Porsche.

Mike, I'll take it.

PM sent...

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
jsh
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 10 2015, 05:02 PM) *

I've wanted to take our 88 Westy, but haven't found a club which applies to WBX Vanagons! sad.gif

TIA beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

San Diego Air Cooled
Tom_T
QUOTE(jsh @ Sep 12 2015, 10:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 10 2015, 05:02 PM) *

TIA beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

San Diego Air Cooled

Geesh, those aircooled VW snobs are almost worse than the 911 tail-dragger snobs!

I think Mike/cuda911 is a member.

Anyhoo, I'd join a VW Club for our `88 Westy, but it's a later T3B WBX....

Click to view attachment
^ ours at the Steve McQuees Boys Republic Car Show in June.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
old dog
I hope to be there at least one day. Will be hanging out with the Blue Pepsi Alfa Romeo.
Tom_T
QUOTE(old dog @ Sep 13 2015, 06:16 PM) *

I hope to be there at least one day. Will be hanging out with the Blue Pepsi Alfa Romeo.

Go on up to the PCA SD tent & corral too, they have a good spread of food/drinks & display cars right on the track. A few 914s always show up Sat & Sun.

Same for all - even if you don't bring your 914.

beerchug.gif
Tom
////////
effutuo101
Yep! Sunday (work allowing) for me and the family!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.